Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The other thing I want to say is about comparisons. A lot of people are making comparisons with Pep, Klopp and Arteta. But the manager that Ange reminds me most of is AVB - very wedded to one way of playing, likes the high line, really into 'philosophy' and 'mentality', both had limited playing experience, both from smaller leagues. The strongest thread is how stubborn they both were/are in sticking to their way of seeing the game, and that the fanbase became divided very quickly. Ange's football is better to watch than AVB's though and he doesn't have superstar Bale to keep digging him out of a hole.

I’ve got a couple of photos of our corner set up from the scum game which I haven’t posted as I don’t know how to get them on here from an iPhone. Can anyone help and you’ll all see what an utter mess it looks with the players all looking at each other for help???

Pep to be fair has made some slight positionally adjustments (John Stones as a false midfielder) but as you say the principles are the same.

The way Pep plays is so extreme City give up scoring goals for it, the amount of times I have seen City win the ball back and get a 4 on 2 or 5 on 3 and rather than take the opportunity to score they simply slow the game down and go back to passing must be in the dozens by now.

No other team does this and gives away huge scoring opportunities. They believe in how they play that much they give up goals. One City player said a while back that Pep used to go mental in training if a player scored a goal but the goal was not scored in the right way, ie the player hit a difficult shot rather than pass to someone in an easier position to score.

Obviously you need the right players for this. Pep finished 3rd in his first season with a billion pound squad (probably £2bn in today’s money) and then had to spend another billion to make it work. Both Arteta and Klopp got huge backing. We have no idea if Ange will succeed but no manager will without good backing.
Pep's teams always know when to be cynical and clever though, it's not always pure. Look at the amount of tactical fouls City make. I worry Ange is too pure and won't adapt.

Pep's teams always know when to be cynical and clever though, it's not always pure. Look at the amount of tactical fouls City make. I worry Ange is too pure and won't adapt.

In terms of dark arts I agree, we have to improve on them. I think Ange being kind to refs was an error, look at Romero he got sent off for a tackle then about 8-10 similar tackles happened in the prem and nothing. Kulusevski against Arse tripped and stayed on his feet, if he had gone down that was a 100% pen.

Most elite managers only play one way. Pep never comes out with a low block, nor does he play counter attacks it only works because he has the right blend of players and over many years the repetition of how they play makes them better and better at it. Everyone knows how Pep will play, what his plan A yet they can’t stop it. Same with Klopp when he had Mane and the like at his best.

If you’re looking for a sum of their parts manager who will switch it up based on the players available and the opposition you are looking more at a Harry Redknapp style of manager. Probably the best version of this style of manager would be Ancelotti but the chance of him leaving Real for us is minimal.
When has Pep ever been at a club where he has to? Player or manager. Barcelona ticky tacky with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to Bayern Munich where he can pick any player he wants to City with endlessly deep pockets. Why would he play a low block?

That's a very good comparison, actually. Food for thought.

The way Ange calls everyone mate also reminds of the way AVB used to sit on his haunches during a game.

Don't ask me why, it just does.
Cheers mate. Just thinking about it earlier and I get really strong AVB vibes with Ange now. I don't really see the comparison to Pep and Klopp at all given their work in the Bundlesliga and La Liga. Perhaps maybe Arteta as he was much more of an unknown quantity when he started at Woolwich. But then he did win silverware within months of managing Woolwich.

Most elite managers only play one way. Pep never comes out with a low block, nor does he play counter attacks it only works because he has the right blend of players and over many years the repetition of how they play makes them better and better at it. Everyone knows how Pep will play, what his plan A yet they can’t stop it. Same with Klopp when he had Mane and the like at his best.

If you’re looking for a sum of their parts manager who will switch it up based on the players available and the opposition you are looking more at a Harry Redknapp style of manager. Probably the best version of this style of manager would be Ancelotti but the chance of him leaving Real for us is minimal.
You’re absolutely right, Pep nearly always plays the same way but the big difference is, he has a squad full of elite players, we don’t & we‘re very unlikely to sign any elite players in the summer. When you have a squad without the quality of the players you need to play your system the way you want it played, you should tweak things to make best use of the players you have at your disposal. Ange doesn’t do that but hopefully, he’s learned a few things this season & makes a few changes next season.

I do think though that we need to have a major overhaul of our coaching staff as they’re clearly not up to the job

Cheers mate. Just thinking about it earlier and I get really strong AVB vibes with Ange now. I don't really see the comparison to Pep and Klopp at all given their work in the Bundlesliga and La Liga. Perhaps maybe Arteta as he was much more of an unknown quantity when he started at Woolwich. But then he did win silverware within months of managing Woolwich.

Has Ange got a Sherwood at the club to undermine him and stab him in the back too I wonder?

He's talking about the R word, I was told that this team is almost complete but nevermind.

As I've been saying it ain't finished until we start competing, I think a lot of under overestimated these players including me but it seems like the manager knows what he has and what he needs to push us on.

This is one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to change the manager yet again because we can't keep doing it in the hope of some sort of long term sustainable success, us fans just need to buckle up and just STFU and let the man do his job, we can throw our toys out the pram all we like and moan about his tactics and moan about how frustrating the board are and how we've ran out of patience but we just need to suck it up for now.

We have a manager who is by hook or by crook determined to make this club successful and actually wants to stick around to do it, we should be thankful for that, just chill out.

so the people that want him to stay and actually give him a war chest to spend...explain why hes wanted 50m johnson if his tactics is to pin a side in? how on earth does that fill you with confidence with him?

The other thing I want to say is about comparisons. A lot of people are making comparisons with Pep, Klopp and Arteta. But the manager that Ange reminds me most of is AVB - very wedded to one way of playing, likes the high line, really into 'philosophy' and 'mentality', both had limited playing experience, both from smaller leagues. The strongest thread is how stubborn they both were/are in sticking to their way of seeing the game, and that the fanbase became divided very quickly. Ange's football is better to watch than AVB's though and he doesn't have superstar Bale to keep digging him out of a hole.

I cant stand those people that bang on about philosophy. Like their style of football is more worthy than the rest.

I'd rather we have a new manager, one that is more adaptable.

BUT...in Ange's favour, this squad is probably 5th best in the league and we are in 5th. We are kind of in the same position as Man Utd and Chelsea. There is so much rebuilding to do that even if we changed manager and brought in the best manager in the world, the limiting factor is the squad is not capable of finishing higher without major investment.

Its possible half the players in our squad are for sale and have downed tools.

View: https://twitter.com/TheSpursExpress/status/1786704591221887235

Last edited:
He even said in that press conference himself that he will essentially die on this hill playing the football he wants as it has "worked my entire career" but then he also said himself "but the premier league might be too big of a jump, who knows mate."

If he requires Levy to gut the team and rebuild it for this style to work I think he might be in for a shock tbh.

Like I said before, Levy wouldn't back Poch after a CL final, Conte or Jose with rebuilds; what makes Ange believe he will get backed? Especially after recent form?
To play devil's advocate, Levy DID back Poch after the CL final with huge outlay on players. It was just the wrong players, and was too late after not buying Poch any players for three windows.

It’s a very good point and a fair point HOWEVER I’m getting a horrible feeling that Ange isn’t that « shiny » . The bhoys loved hîm and anointed hîm . Possibly, just possibly he’d found his level . He’s sadly not in Kansas , nor the Greater Glasgow area nor a prefecture in Japan nor a soccer hothead micro - area of Melbourne Va ; anymore . As Alan Partridge once proclaimed « Welcome to the Big League « . AP actually managed , despite his best efforts, to save the hostages and dispatch the perpetrator to his demise off Cromer pier . I’ve just gpt
a horrible Ferling that BA ain’t gonna be able to pull the same stunt . Thus … Just Sack. ……
Fuck off Dealer

Yi wurr telt at the beginnin' that Ange sh*ite-ball wis the beginnin' of the end furr yi, an' didnae listen.

The good news, tho, is that Brenda(n) will be available furr yi next season. lmfao

Go away back to your own forum and try speaking Engrish

Back
Top Bottom