Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wish I hadn’t done this, I spent a bit of time looking at Ange’s full coaching history. If we disregard the low level of the majority of his career, then the metric of win % can be equally applied. It’s not great at all. In fact compare Neil Lennon to big Ange and it’s not entirely clear who would have, statistically, been the better pick.

Conclusion. None really, but I’ve a big question as to how the fuck Tottenham Hotspur ended up with the Ange experiment.

Funny old game.

They’re too busy wanking on about XG and worrying about club finances and transfers. What goes on for 90 minutes on the rectangular green thing is the least important to them.
Very much this. I honestly think if the people defending the last 5 months just said he's here now you cant sack a manager that finishes 5th on 64/66 pts so we have to see how it plays out then fair enough. Not a million miles away from i guess the way us sceptics think.

But trying to make out what we're seeing is actually really promising because of counter press stats, middle third contributions or wide interceptions and assorted other bollocks like that then i'd suggest they just need to watch the games and put the spreadsheets down. None of it matters, results and performances are the only metric. All managers live and die by those.

Very much this. I honestly think if the people defending the last 5 months just said he's here now you cant sack a manager that finishes 5th on 64/66 pts so we have to see how it plays out then fair enough. Not a million miles away from i guess the way us sceptics think.

But trying to make out what we're seeing is actually really promising because of counter press stats, middle third contributions or wide interceptions and assorted other bollocks like that then i'd suggest they just need to watch the games and put the spreadsheets down. None of it matters, results and performances are the only metric. All managers live and die by those.
Exactly. And it DOES matter that the second half has been shite, and the first half good, and not the other way round.

Wish I hadn’t done this, I spent a bit of time looking at Ange’s full coaching history. If we disregard the low level of the majority of his career, then the metric of win % can be equally applied. It’s not great at all. In fact compare Neil Lennon to big Ange and it’s not entirely clear who would have, statistically, been the better pick.

Conclusion. None really, but I’ve a big question as to how the fuck Tottenham Hotspur ended up with the Ange experiment.

Funny old game.
I think Postecoglou appealed to Levy because he would take pressure off him. The fans wanted attacking football and Postecoglou checked that box. He's also brought with him the character of "Big Ange" the fans could bond with. Postecoglou has been a motivational speaker in Australia, and he knows how to say whatever people want to hear. Having worked in the media there he also could be counted on to turn the press room into a petting zoo. (When was the last time anyone asked him a tough question or even one related directly to football? ) Since Levy is very concerned with growing Spurs brand, having a manager from the Pacific region opens up marketing opportunities. Best of all, for Levy, Postecoglou was able to sell Levy on his magic system. Players don't matter because the system will produce goals. You can compete, so the theory would be, without having to have the spend rate of the teams at the top of the table. He would be a manager who probably didn't care if Kane stayed or went since he didn't fit the profile of his system. Finally, Postecoglou wanted the job, which better managers didn't, and he likely would take it for less money. He wasn't the best football manager Levy could get, but he fit Levy's objectives best.

PL Manager of the Season nominees

published at 12:00

12:00

So who out of the bosses has made the shortlist? Here are the managers who make the cut:

• Manchester City's Pep Guardiola
  • Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp
  • Woolwich's Mikel Arteta
  • Aston Villa's Unai Emery
  • Bournemouth's Andoni Iraola

Ah well that’s yet another trophy we’re not landing. I’d love to know who’s responsible for selecting these shortlists . Football always finds a way of kicking you when you’re down .

We need to get over this and soon .

He would be a manager who probably didn't care if Kane stayed or went since he didn't fit the profile of his system.

I don’t know why anyone on earth would think this. Ange has not made a big noise about Kane’s departure but I’m sure he was still devastated that he left, even though he knew it was likely.

This idea that he didn’t fit the system is drivel, he played the entire pre-season under Ange and played well. No manager in the world would be happy to lose Harry Kane, no matter your system you find a way to get him in it. He’s the best striker in the world.

I don’t know why anyone on earth would think this. Ange has not made a big noise about Kane’s departure but I’m sure he was still devastated that he left, even though he knew it was likely.

This idea that he didn’t fit the system is drivel, he played the entire pre-season under Ange and played well. No manager in the world would be happy to lose Harry Kane, no matter your system you find a way to get him in it. He’s the best striker in the world.
I think with Postecoglou it is all about his system. I don't think he believes he needs great players, just players who will react, make quick decisions, and follow the system. Also, at Kane's age he probably would not have been as good a presser as Postecoglou might have felt he needed there. The more cynical part of me thinks he would prefer to win without a star player just to show he can win on the strength of his ideas.

I think with Postecoglou it is all about his system. I don't think he believes he needs great players, just players who will react, make quick decisions, and follow the system. Also, at Kane's age he probably would not have been as good a presser as Postecoglou might have felt he needed there. The more cynical part of me thinks he would prefer to win without a star player just to show he can win on the strength of his ideas.

I think Ange would happily sacrifice pressing from the centre forward in favour of world class finishing, creativity and defending on set plays. If not I’d have to question his critical faculties. If a manager like Pep can put Haaland in his team then I’m sure Ange would put Kane in his.

I’m 99% sure Ange is a “on the bus for the journey” type of manager.

Kane for a long time felt like he was handcuffed to the bus.

In that way I think Ange wouldn’t have been too bothered he was leaving.
Didn’t he allude to knowing Harry was off weeks before the transfer deadline? Like it was never a big surprise he was leaving.
Or did I dream that interview.
Pretty sure it didn’t include Jennifer Lawrence which is the normal giveaway in my dreams.

I’m 99% sure Ange is a “on the bus for the journey” type of manager.

Kane for a long time felt like he was handcuffed to the bus.

In that way I think Ange wouldn’t have been too bothered he was leaving.
Didn’t he allude to knowing Harry was off weeks before the transfer deadline? Like it was never a big surprise he was leaving.
Or did I dream that interview.
Pretty sure it didn’t include Jennifer Lawrence which is the normal giveaway in my dreams.

Not a Lawrence Fox fan then?

Not a Lawrence Fox fan then?

Baz I will leave you to your homo erotic fantasies.

I’m more likely to be thinking of me, Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlet Johansson and any scenario that involves plenty of jiggy jiggy time.

Mr Fox is not entering my thoughts at any time. You can’t spoil this for me!!!!

PL Manager of the Season nominees

published at 12:00

12:00

So who out of the bosses has made the shortlist? Here are the managers who make the cut:

• Manchester City's Pep Guardiola
  • Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp
  • Woolwich's Mikel Arteta
  • Aston Villa's Unai Emery
  • Bournemouth's Andoni Iraola

Ah well that’s yet another trophy we’re not landing. I’d love to know who’s responsible for selecting these shortlists . Football always finds a way of kicking you when you’re down .

We need to get over this and soon .

No Big Ange on the shortlist.......A conspiracy against Tottenham. I tell you!

dwight-yelling.gif

Back
Top Bottom