Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am very excited , this is taking me back to the Burkinshaw era . Even peak Poch didn’t feel this good , ( obviously that excludes latter stages of our CL run} . But no way at any point was I looking forward to Palace away as much under Poch . What is this heady potion of great football , great vibe , likeability and empathy, adding up to unbridled joy Big Ange has concocted . He is a wizard and I have almost forgot about syrup and Jose , their toxic memory fades with every passing day .

He has indeed. I've always been of the opinion that his maligned England stint is a real shame and actually harsh, given the career he's otherwise had. Also, you would absolutely have to have true love for the game to return one more time at his age.
Big Woy is part of football in this country. Seeing him come on MOTD highlights ... love that! What a legend. He's also never been seen in the same room as Theresa May, so there is possibly even more to his great career than meets the eye!

I am very excited , this is taking me back to the Burkinshaw era . Even peak Poch didn’t feel this good , ( obviously that excludes latter stages of our CL run} . But no way at any point was I looking forward to Palace away as much under Poch . What is this heady potion of great football , great vibe , likeability and empathy, adding up to unbridled joy Big Ange has concocted . He is a wizard and I have almost forgot about syrup and Jose , their toxic memory fades with every passing day .
The only Spurs manager I didn't like was Nuno because under him it was like watching a game where the air had been let out of the football. Mourinho had some entertainment value and I think Conte is one of the best in the business. They probably weren't the right managers for the team but I respected them. And I think with the personnel they had at the time, counter attacking football made sense and sometimes was even fun to watch. Postecoglou deserves all the praise he's getting, but charismatic coaches with new systems don't always sustain their initial success.

He has indeed. I've always been of the opinion that his maligned England stint is a real shame and actually harsh, given the career he's otherwise had. Also, you would absolutely have to have true love for the game to return one more time at his age.
It was a crazy appointment.

FA managed to get him cheap.

The better alternative would have been Redknapp, but non-footballing reasons put a stop to that

1. Levy's greed at a mega pay out from the FA
2. H's "colourful" back story and a hilarious court case

Hodgson's skill set was taking teams with ordinary journeymen footballers like FFC, West Brom etc and making them overachieve amazingly.

He was always USELESS with top teams and big players - Blackburn, LFC.

Again, a typically amateurish decision from the twats in the blazers.

Called it straightaway and gave me no pleasure to be proven right with losses to Iceland etc.

Sorry for re-posting, I meant it to go in the Ange thread not the Palace one

Nice one
btl Graun

TheBaronVonTiki
8 hours ago
Guardian Pick

I grew up watching Match of the Day half a world away from where it was filmed - the cool Sydney nights and hot, sunny mornings (and the level of skill) made it seem like I was seeing something from another planet - a planet made of rain and foggy breath.
My Dad - a Rotherham lad who followed his team until he died - schooled my brother and I in the dark arts of what we called "soccer" and what he called "football".
I learned to recognise names like "Hoddle", "Daglish", "Keegan" and "Grobbelaar." I grew to love the game, even though I failed to reach dizzying heights when playing it. My dad had instilled a typical Yorkshire work-ethic in me, though, which bore fruit in the form of a Best and Fairest trophy for my local clubs' under-13's Division 2 side. The trophy was great, but nothing compared to the quiet " Well done, son" when I climbed into the car after the presentation.
Life moved on, coverage of the Premier League became patchy, and Football faded into the background. I would catch a game here and there, follow the World Cup games when time allowed and in quieter moments think of times past with affection and, since the death of my Dad, a sense of loss.
Earlier this year, I read with growing interest of the possibility that a bloke named Ange Postecoglou was in the running to land the manager's gig at Spurs.
Something about this - a weird mixture of parochialism, sentiment and nostalgia - re-ignited old passions. Suddenly I was reading every article I could find. I read comments both positive (Celtic fans) and derogatory (almost everyone else). I started watching YouTube videos of pundits learned and thick. I read articles from broadsheets and tabloids both.
And then the season started.
I've been following every game. I've been watching post-Match reports. I've gone from waiting for results to listening to matches on the Beeb. I spent this morning making toast and coffee, pacing the kitchen and feeling - what is this? - nervous as extra-time stretched beyond the allotted 8 minutes.
Bloody hell - am I a Spurs fan now?

Back
Top Bottom