Ange Postecoglou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok fuck it, I’m back in.

If Ange hasn’t given up on the title then neither have I.

Best mentality of any Spurs manager in my lifetime.

Just stop it, of course you’ve given up. It’s great he’s saying it because he’s the coach but he doesn’t even believe it himself.

He just won’t say that or make top four our everything. Which is correct and fantastic.

Just stop it, of course you’ve given up. It’s great he’s saying it because he’s the coach but he doesn’t even believe it himself.

He just won’t say that or make top four our everything. Which is correct and fantastic.

When I say back in, I’m saying I’m watching the rest of the season.

I didn’t get the vibe he didn’t believe what he was saying. He knows it’s a crazy long shot but what I can fuck with is that he’s saying his target isn’t top4, his target is the title as long as it’s mathematically possible. As it should be.

Hate it when managers try to manage expectations or fake humble to the team can’t challenge. Just gives the feeling that the order of things is fixed and there is no point even bothering

I like Ange when he’s angry
Me too!

So Excited Reaction GIF by Originals

It’s still mathematically possible to win the league
We dont have the consistency and have three teams ahead of us whose defences are vastly more robust and disciplined.

If Ange doesn't want to publicly say we are in a race for 4th, fine, but I think everyone knows we are in a shootout with Villa for 4th. We need CL football, the revenue & the prestige to attract higher quality players.

We need to start being more aggressive in the transfer market, and not letting our advantage go to waste. Take for instance Chelsea and Man United, whilst both clubs are resigned to finishing below us this season, why do I get the feeling their fans think they can bypass us in subsequent seasons. We need to finish in the CL and get highly aggressive in recruitment, we need to press our advantage should we get in the CL, if you have 2 high quality active windows where you sell only the deadwood, and recruit quality, you can surge up the table, do I need to mention which club has done this in recent seasons?

To not finish 4th, and lose the CL spot to Villa could be devastating. However equally devastating would be finishing 4th and having a subpar window.

Olise; Diomande, Gyökeres, De Ligt, Toney; not saying these are the players we should sign, but players like this we should be adding to the squad and selling no one we dont want to. If we dont take seirous steps to bridge the gap to the front three, then Chelsea and Man United will catch us in time. We have been guilty of this in the past. Finishing top 2 but not showing aggression in the transfer market to kick on, and then getting reeled in and surpassed by clubs we had the wood on for several years.....you know who im talking about.

We dont have the consistency and have three teams ahead of us whose defences are vastly more robust and disciplined.

If Ange doesn't want to publicly say we are in a race for 4th, fine, but I think everyone knows we are in a shootout with Villa for 4th. We need CL football, the revenue & the prestige to attract higher quality players.

We need to start being more aggressive in the transfer market, and not letting our advantage go to waste. Take for instance Chelsea and Man United, whilst both clubs are resigned to finishing below us this season, why do I get the feeling their fans think they can bypass us in subsequent seasons. We need to finish in the CL and get highly aggressive in recruitment, we need to press our advantage should we get in the CL, if you have 2 high quality active windows where you sell only the deadwood, and recruit quality, you can surge up the table, do I need to mention which club has done this in recent seasons?

To not finish 4th, and lose the CL spot to Villa could be devastating. However equally devastating would be finishing 4th and having a subpar window.

Olise; Diomande, Gyökeres, De Ligt, Toney; not saying these are the players we should sign, but players like this we should be adding to the squad and selling no one we dont want to. If we dont take seirous steps to bridge the gap to the front three, then Chelsea and Man United will catch us in time. We have been guilty of this in the past. Finishing top 2 but not showing aggression in the transfer market to kick on, and then getting reeled in and surpassed by clubs we had the wood on for several years.....you know who im talking about.

We are in a title race until we aren’t.

Might not take long until that happens, minuscule chance that we stay in it until late on in the season.

That’s what sport is about.
Nobody gets into sport to finish 4th, they get into sport for the minuscule chance to win

We are in a title race until we aren’t.

Might not take long until that happens, minuscule chance that we stay in it until late on in the season.

That’s what sport is about.
Nobody gets into sport to finish 4th, they get into sport for the minuscule chance to win
If we win every game we get 86 points. 86 points is likely not to be enough to win the league, yet this total is what we get if we win the next 13 games straight.

There is a reason you can get 200 to 1 odds on Betfair to win the league.

I get the notion of not wanting to 'target 4th place', but its the highest we can go this season and it coems with a CL reward

You don't give anyone 3 seasons. You give them as many seasons as you feel they deserve based on results.
If we're still toiling away struggling to break teams down this time next season, I would have serious reservations about a 3rd season tbh.
Not saying I think that'll happen, but it would show a lack of adaptability and ask the question of whether it's worth persisting with something.
There's been enough this season to justify next season (pending a late season collapse where we finish mid table behind Spam)
But the situation should always be fluid.
As much as I love Ange, and he’s the reason I reconnected with Spurs again after many years (it’s a lot easier to support the club in London than it is in Western Australia), I would say 3 seasons without some serious results is stretching things.
At Angel’s age, this could be his swan song- and I’d say he probably has that in his mind. He wants to finish on top and I reckon he’s found his home here.
I also think the injuries and absences had a deeper effect/affect than just missing players for matches. The run of wins on a super high line was great, as teams observe, plan and counter this, adaptation and nuance is required - seems that would be really difficult to develop without the first team players working on that together day in day out, in training and in real time / real matches with higher stakes

As much as I love Ange, and he’s the reason I reconnected with Spurs again after many years (it’s a lot easier to support the club in London than it is in Western Australia), I would say 3 seasons without some serious results is stretching things.
At Angel’s age, this could be his swan song- and I’d say he probably has that in his mind. He wants to finish on top and I reckon he’s found his home here.
I also think the injuries and absences had a deeper effect/affect than just missing players for matches. The run of wins on a super high line was great, as teams observe, plan and counter this, adaptation and nuance is required - seems that would be really difficult to develop without the first team players working on that together day in day out, in training and in real time / real matches with higher stakes
The fact he played Royal and Davies in our last game sets alarm bells ringing re: Ange

If Royal starts today I’m staying in the pub and not going to the stadium and will probably swerve altogether until he’s inevitably sacked in Oct / Nov

Back
Top Bottom