Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

viZFMFDNPX0hR0LNkhACDHJJGmqmFwyBjMaiN7vMgYo.jpg

Interesting little bit of data from the Athletic detailing what playstyle characteristics have defined the teams this season and to what extent.

Our yellow pie scale definitely stands out.

Thanks for sharing, and this is not a dig at you…. but what the actual fuck is some of that?

Just looks like some fella has made up a load of random ‘play styles’ and then added lines to a pie chart to attempt to visually show the better teams have ‘maxed out’ each play style.

I’m calling bollocks on this one, and no one can change my mind.

Thanks for sharing, and this is not a dig at you…. but what the actual fuck is some of that?

Just looks like some fella has made up a load of random ‘play styles’ and then added lines to a pie chart to attempt to visually show the better teams have ‘maxed out’ each play style.

Well shit, I was going to dedicate my entire day on explaining it to you and making you change your mind.

Spot on, a load of idiots will pretend it’s relevant, professionals in the game won’t bother looking at it

He may not leave at the end of the season, but he may walk before the new season, if Levy does what Levy does.

If I am not mistaken, Conte left Juventus during pre season, and he extended his contract not long prior. Morata joined Juventus the first time to work with Conte that summer, only for Conte to leave before the two could truly work together. All because Conte felt Juventus were fulfilling their promise to get his enough the transfer target he requested.

Conte pretty much said that next season he wants to have us challenge for trophies. That is a big ask from our current squad quality depth.
In reality the matter was very complex. Conte had been coming for three very intense years in which he had given back identity to the team and the first bad moods had begun.
1) His interview was famous in which he complained: "you can't go to a € 100 restaurant with a € 10 banknote".
2)Conte then wanted Cuadrado from Chelsea while Marotta took Morata from Real Madrid.
3)Finally, the summer preparation: Conte wanted to do intense work to work on the team while the club wanted to tour Asia and / or the United States for commercial reasons.

In the end he left during the summer session and the club ran for cover with Allegri who actually improved Conte's team and especially for the cups made a radical change arriving immediately at the Champions League final.

What are you struggling with here, it seems pretty straight forward to me?

The only thing that is a bit confusing is the high defence and low defence, that's a bit confusing.

Would be good if there were some explanations here mind you.

I bloody love pie charts. They can be very accurate

6gunmc.png

Spurs present Antonio Conte with his biggest test yet: overcoming Spurs​

Date published: Friday 20th May 2022 8:09 - Ian King

Spurs should qualify for the Champions League on Sunday, but Spursiness works in mysterious ways, as their supporters are already well aware.

The reaction of Spurs fans to Woolwich’s 2-0 defeat at Newcastle United on Monday night was telling. Somehow or other, Spurs have stumbled into fourth place in the Premier League when it really matters, and are in a position that should guarantee them Champions League football next season. They are two points clear of Woolwich with a game to play, and on Sunday they travel to Carrow Road to play a Norwich City team that was relegated some time around when the clocks went forward and who haven’t improved much since. A draw would leave Woolwich needing a 15-goal win against Everton to take fourth. A defeat, and any Woolwich victory would do.

If you wanted a window into the mind of a Tottenham Hotspur supporter, it can be found in reading all of the above and remaining unconvinced. It can be realised in looking at the league table and the remaining fixtures, and concluding that facing Norwich is the biggest test of Antonio Conte’s managerial career yet: to get the result he needs, he not only has to overcome the opponent, but also Tottenham Hotspur themselves.

But Spursiness isn’t just a perpetual clown car, the footballing equivalent of a GIF of a dog scooting across a carpet on its backside, backwards and forwards in perpetuity. It’s more subtle than that. The current iteration of Spurs can play football. They will arrive at Carrow Road set to return to the Champions League, at the end of a season which saw them go unbeaten against both Liverpool and Manchester City, and fresh off the back of a fairly one-sided north London derby win against Woolwich.

To the untrained eye, the north London derby was when this season’s team might have hit peak Spurs, but the more seasoned Spurs-watcher knows that this is all too simplistic. Peak Spurs would be beating Woolwich to put themselves in such a strong position and then blowing it at an already-relegated team on the last day of the season. And everybody already knows that this can happen. It already has. Fairly recently.

On the last day of the 2015/16 season, a Spurs team that had been the last standing in the ultimately fruitless pursuit of Leicester City absolutely imploded at Championship-bound Newcastle United. They were beaten 5-1 and pipped to the runners-up spot by, you guessed it, Woolwich.

There was little material difference that time around beyond local pride. A Champions League place makes these matches worth considerably more than this alone, at least from a financial perspective, and it also may influence the calibre of new player that they are able to attract this summer, when both could do with reinforcements. It may only be fourth or fifth place, but it does kinda matter, I guess, whether I like it or not.

Few don’t believe that Spursiness is a real phenomenon, though I don’t particularly remember it from my childhood. They’d had spells in the Second Division before – the first season that I remember thinking of myself as a Spurs supporter, 1977/78, was spent there – but relegation wasn’t the cataclysm then that it is today. Manchester United were relegated in 1974, six years after becoming the champions of Europe. Derby County were relegated in 1980, five years after their second league title in four years. Leeds were relegated in 1982, eight years after taking the crown. Aston Villa were relegated in 1987, six years after becoming champions of England and five after ruling Europe. It just… happened.

The years in which my interest in the game really exploded ended in Spurs winning the FA Cup, and the relationship between the league and cup was also different then to now. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be that they both mattered equally, but in different ways. The league felt like a long-running drama series, but FA Cup matches were a series of events culminating in a final that felt like it was part of something greater, a tapestry of the history of the game.

It has been suggested that the 1987 FA Cup final was the game at which Spursiness first made its true breakthrough into the mainstream. From half the team wearing shirts with sponsors names on them and half without, to Keith Houchen, who just a couple of years earlier had been a journeyman forward in the Fourth Division for York City, suddenly and quite unexpectedly transforming himself into a human exocet missile to score, to Gary Mabbutt’s knee deflecting the winning goal, that match was a taste of things to come.

The following year, Spurs lost to Port Vale in the fourth round, and the year after that it was Bradford City in the third.

A cast was being set. They won the FA Cup again in 1991 but haven’t again since; it’s not the longest period of time Spurs have had without winning the FA Cup – that was the 40 years between 1921 and 1961, and it ended with the first league and cup Double of the 20th century – but its only nine years off. These intervening years have contained a couple of League Cup wins, and there have been enough great players and occasionally big wins to keep things ticking over.

And in any case, there’s always someone worse off. Everton could be set for their third last-day drama since the creation of the Premier League, following on from 1994 and 1998. Other clubs may have supporters who head into the summer uncertain whether their clubs will survive or last the whole of next season. The Champions League or the Europa League – and I should be absolutely clear that I would be loudly demanding an open top bus should they ever win either – seems like a first-world problem by comparison.

I don’t believe in curses, and I don’t believe in voodoo. And almost 45 years of supporting Spurs has given me a calm serenity as a football supporter, like Bill Bailey in Black Books when he accidentally swallowed his Little Book of Calm, only occasionally punctuated by cries of, ‘FOR GOD’S SAKE HOJBJERG, YOU LAZY, 5OP-FOOTED BERK, WAKE UP, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT YOUR ARSE AND ACTUALLY START RUNNING FOR ONCE’. Or something similar. No other football club can hurt me any more, not the way in which Spurs have over that time.

Once you start to embrace the futility of lasting hope, it’s very liberating. It may even explain why Spurs supporters don’t seem to have fallen as far down the conspiracy wormhole as some Woolwich fans have in recent years. We could go searching for one: Henry Norris controversially getting the Gunners into the First Division in 1915; about how they came to win the league at White Hart Lane in 1971; how they did it again during their Invincibles season in 2004; or the entirety of lasagne-gate in 2006. It wasn’t for nothing that they held the nickname of ‘The Establishment Club’.

But that’s the thing about Spursiness. Lasagne-gate (which actually turned out to be a bout of norovirus) wasn’t Spursy. Missing out on a Champions League place to Woolwich thanks to a bout of norovirus, failing then to get a qualification spot for another four years, and failing to finish above them in the Premier League for 11 more years? Now, that’s Spursiness. And there’s no need to look for a conspiracy when the conspiracy is your own club. The barbs start to bounce off you. ‘Three Point Lane’? Ah yes, very good. ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’? Life is fleeting, and we are but mere pin-pricks, clinging to the side of a rock that is hurtling through a vast and unforgiving universe.

It’s this sort of thinking that leaves you suspecting that Spurs could lose to the Premier League’s worst team and miss out, or that they could draw and fall victim a 15-0 Woolwich win in which Alexandre Lacazette has scored an improbable 13 goals. But it’s also the sort of thinking that leaves you thinking that it would almost be worth this happening for the spectacle. And all of this rolled into one is what Conte still has to overcome on the last day of the season.

Someone has just dusted down the Spirograph set they got for Christmas '77

spirograph-designs-vector-143669.jpg

Spurs present Antonio Conte with his biggest test yet: overcoming Spurs​

Date published: Friday 20th May 2022 8:09 - Ian King

Spurs should qualify for the Champions League on Sunday, but Spursiness works in mysterious ways, as their supporters are already well aware.

The reaction of Spurs fans to Woolwich’s 2-0 defeat at Newcastle United on Monday night was telling. Somehow or other, Spurs have stumbled into fourth place in the Premier League when it really matters, and are in a position that should guarantee them Champions League football next season. They are two points clear of Woolwich with a game to play, and on Sunday they travel to Carrow Road to play a Norwich City team that was relegated some time around when the clocks went forward and who haven’t improved much since. A draw would leave Woolwich needing a 15-goal win against Everton to take fourth. A defeat, and any Woolwich victory would do.

If you wanted a window into the mind of a Tottenham Hotspur supporter, it can be found in reading all of the above and remaining unconvinced. It can be realised in looking at the league table and the remaining fixtures, and concluding that facing Norwich is the biggest test of Antonio Conte’s managerial career yet: to get the result he needs, he not only has to overcome the opponent, but also Tottenham Hotspur themselves.

But Spursiness isn’t just a perpetual clown car, the footballing equivalent of a GIF of a dog scooting across a carpet on its backside, backwards and forwards in perpetuity. It’s more subtle than that. The current iteration of Spurs can play football. They will arrive at Carrow Road set to return to the Champions League, at the end of a season which saw them go unbeaten against both Liverpool and Manchester City, and fresh off the back of a fairly one-sided north London derby win against Woolwich.

To the untrained eye, the north London derby was when this season’s team might have hit peak Spurs, but the more seasoned Spurs-watcher knows that this is all too simplistic. Peak Spurs would be beating Woolwich to put themselves in such a strong position and then blowing it at an already-relegated team on the last day of the season. And everybody already knows that this can happen. It already has. Fairly recently.

On the last day of the 2015/16 season, a Spurs team that had been the last standing in the ultimately fruitless pursuit of Leicester City absolutely imploded at Championship-bound Newcastle United. They were beaten 5-1 and pipped to the runners-up spot by, you guessed it, Woolwich.

There was little material difference that time around beyond local pride. A Champions League place makes these matches worth considerably more than this alone, at least from a financial perspective, and it also may influence the calibre of new player that they are able to attract this summer, when both could do with reinforcements. It may only be fourth or fifth place, but it does kinda matter, I guess, whether I like it or not.

Few don’t believe that Spursiness is a real phenomenon, though I don’t particularly remember it from my childhood. They’d had spells in the Second Division before – the first season that I remember thinking of myself as a Spurs supporter, 1977/78, was spent there – but relegation wasn’t the cataclysm then that it is today. Manchester United were relegated in 1974, six years after becoming the champions of Europe. Derby County were relegated in 1980, five years after their second league title in four years. Leeds were relegated in 1982, eight years after taking the crown. Aston Villa were relegated in 1987, six years after becoming champions of England and five after ruling Europe. It just… happened.

The years in which my interest in the game really exploded ended in Spurs winning the FA Cup, and the relationship between the league and cup was also different then to now. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be that they both mattered equally, but in different ways. The league felt like a long-running drama series, but FA Cup matches were a series of events culminating in a final that felt like it was part of something greater, a tapestry of the history of the game.

It has been suggested that the 1987 FA Cup final was the game at which Spursiness first made its true breakthrough into the mainstream. From half the team wearing shirts with sponsors names on them and half without, to Keith Houchen, who just a couple of years earlier had been a journeyman forward in the Fourth Division for York City, suddenly and quite unexpectedly transforming himself into a human exocet missile to score, to Gary Mabbutt’s knee deflecting the winning goal, that match was a taste of things to come.

The following year, Spurs lost to Port Vale in the fourth round, and the year after that it was Bradford City in the third.

A cast was being set. They won the FA Cup again in 1991 but haven’t again since; it’s not the longest period of time Spurs have had without winning the FA Cup – that was the 40 years between 1921 and 1961, and it ended with the first league and cup Double of the 20th century – but its only nine years off. These intervening years have contained a couple of League Cup wins, and there have been enough great players and occasionally big wins to keep things ticking over.

And in any case, there’s always someone worse off. Everton could be set for their third last-day drama since the creation of the Premier League, following on from 1994 and 1998. Other clubs may have supporters who head into the summer uncertain whether their clubs will survive or last the whole of next season. The Champions League or the Europa League – and I should be absolutely clear that I would be loudly demanding an open top bus should they ever win either – seems like a first-world problem by comparison.

I don’t believe in curses, and I don’t believe in voodoo. And almost 45 years of supporting Spurs has given me a calm serenity as a football supporter, like Bill Bailey in Black Books when he accidentally swallowed his Little Book of Calm, only occasionally punctuated by cries of, ‘FOR GOD’S SAKE HOJBJERG, YOU LAZY, 5OP-FOOTED BERK, WAKE UP, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT YOUR ARSE AND ACTUALLY START RUNNING FOR ONCE’. Or something similar. No other football club can hurt me any more, not the way in which Spurs have over that time.

Once you start to embrace the futility of lasting hope, it’s very liberating. It may even explain why Spurs supporters don’t seem to have fallen as far down the conspiracy wormhole as some Woolwich fans have in recent years. We could go searching for one: Henry Norris controversially getting the Gunners into the First Division in 1915; about how they came to win the league at White Hart Lane in 1971; how they did it again during their Invincibles season in 2004; or the entirety of lasagne-gate in 2006. It wasn’t for nothing that they held the nickname of ‘The Establishment Club’.

But that’s the thing about Spursiness. Lasagne-gate (which actually turned out to be a bout of norovirus) wasn’t Spursy. Missing out on a Champions League place to Woolwich thanks to a bout of norovirus, failing then to get a qualification spot for another four years, and failing to finish above them in the Premier League for 11 more years? Now, that’s Spursiness. And there’s no need to look for a conspiracy when the conspiracy is your own club. The barbs start to bounce off you. ‘Three Point Lane’? Ah yes, very good. ‘Lads, it’s Tottenham’? Life is fleeting, and we are but mere pin-pricks, clinging to the side of a rock that is hurtling through a vast and unforgiving universe.

It’s this sort of thinking that leaves you suspecting that Spurs could lose to the Premier League’s worst team and miss out, or that they could draw and fall victim a 15-0 Woolwich win in which Alexandre Lacazette has scored an improbable 13 goals. But it’s also the sort of thinking that leaves you thinking that it would almost be worth this happening for the spectacle. And all of this rolled into one is what Conte still has to overcome on the last day of the season.

Can you P-L-E-A-S-E be more selective with what wank media you propogate?

This is just fear-porn.

Far too much of the shit you're spreading is gutter bullshit.

Just post the worthwhile shit and spare us the rest please.

Gave an expert presser.

Calm, controlled, relaxed, humble.

Perfect energy to give off for the team.

And a great tone to set for the game.

Very at ease after watching that.

Team's minds will be focused on the job 💯

What are you struggling with here, it seems pretty straight forward to me?

The only thing that is a bit confusing is the high defence and low defence, that's a bit confusing.

Would be good if there were some explanations here mind you.

Struggling with? Haha you make it sound like I’m trying to answer an A-level question.

It’s been compiled by someone who thinks they are smarter than the average Joe, for fans who think they are smarter than the average Joe.

I am critiquing it, because it lacks detail entirely.

How are they going about defining all these ‘play styles’ they seem to be counting.

Please send me a definition of each one, as that would help a great deal.

I would like to then see the raw data behind each notch on the pie chart.

Some teams max out high defence AND low defence. Others barely score in comparison.

I am surprised a team maxes out defence whilst also having the highest ‘build up’. Yet also highest ‘progressive passes’.

Seems counter intuitive and I rate the whole thing as utter BS.

What are you struggling with?

Struggling with? Haha you make it sound like I’m trying to answer an A-level question.

It’s been compiled by someone who thinks they are smarter than the average Joe, for fans who think they are smarter than the average Joe.

I am critiquing it, because it lacks detail entirely.

How are they going about defining all these ‘play styles’ they seem to be counting.

Please send me a definition of each one, as that would help a great deal.

I would like to then see the raw data behind each notch on the pie chart.

Some teams max out high defence AND low defence. Others barely score in comparison.

I am surprised a team maxes out defence whilst also having the highest ‘build up’. Yet also highest ‘progressive passes’.

Seems counter intuitive and I rate the whole thing as utter BS.

What are you struggling with?

You're actually upset a tweet lacks any sort of context, are you new to Twitter? :D

There's always an explanation for everything if you look hard enough, might be with having a look at this article because it seems like it's based on the metrics laid out in here

Edit - need a subscription to view it - not sure if anyone on here can copy and paste and put it into a paste bin?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom