Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

theres no way pep would of been this bad and played such technical stinkers week in week out when theres better players on the bench.

the problem we have is where do we go from here? theres no obvious replacement like before. potter would of been the one i suppose but hes obviously been taken. so fuck knows

Pep with our squad would be a disaster, an absolute mess. He came in to City with the best team in the league and needed to spend like a drunken sailor to get it fitting him.

Exactly but you hire Conte you spend 300-400m, you get Skrinair, you get Gardivol, you get Dumfries, you get elite players who suit his system and overpay if needed to fight for the title. As others on the forum have said we didn’t have to go that route Ten Hag and Potter where available and we could have gone a different way.

Yeah, I think they hired Mourinho and Conte to try and get the best out of the players we already have, but unfortunately, they’re not what they want/need.

Square pegs, round holes

We need a new manager and to build with a proper vision.

Sitting back and conceeding possession doesnt work anymore, we need a manger that presses more and plays with more intensity. De Zerbi and Howe took over and are playing better than us. I believe this is one of the main reasons why.

This can only be done with younger players which is why I dont have an issue with the board's strategy of targeting younger players.

I'd sell Son and Kane at this point as well.

Sitting back and conceeding possession doesnt work anymore, we need a manger that presses more and plays with more intensity. De Zerbi and Howe took over and are playing better than us. I believe this is one of the main reasons why.

This can only be done with younger players which is why I dont have an issue with the board's strategy of targeting younger players.

We go that way in 1-2 years we will sack the manager after not backing him then go back to a pragmatic manager like Tuchel.

this is a mess lol! the results are not even good and the actual performances have been a chore to watch.

Agreed but it’s not Conte or Pep. Those type of managers need the correct ingredients to work, you don’t hire them if you don’t have them. This is not hindsight this was said many many times at the start. You either buy a world class squad or you don’t hire them.

We've conceded at least 2 goals in our last 7 league matches apparently. The first time thats happened since 1988. Shit defence yes but thats something seriously broken. Even with liabilities you can still organise a defence. Those 7 nclude Villa, Leeds, Bentford, Bournemouth.

Agreed but it’s not Conte or Pep. Those type of managers need the correct ingredients to work, you don’t hire them if you don’t have them. This is not hindsight this was said many many times at the start. You either buy a world class squad or you don’t hire them.
well they need to get an actual manager in who can manager the situation to the best it can be. i reckon there is a 1000 fans in the ground today who could do a better job than this plank.

Levy got desparate.

He knew he fucked up with Nuno. He saw Conte was available and knew a big name like that would get fans back on side which it did. Because he was the manager everyone wanted in the summer.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. If you're not going to give a top chef the ingredients he needs, he isn't going to make you the food a high demanding fanbase desires.

Mourinho was always destined to fail, he was way past his best. But for a time, I dared to believe with Conte. Especially in the second half of last season. Scoring 4+ goals against multiple teams. Beating City away. Smashing Woolwich etc.

But it hasn't worked.

Go back to what we have done best over the last 15 years. Get a manager in who can get the best out of what he's got. Good man-managers, who like their teams to be play good expansive football and hope to unearth a few gems in the process.

Because they're the only ones who are going to do "well" under Levy.

Levy got desparate.

He knew he fucked up with Nuno. He saw Conte was available and knew a big name like that would get fans back on side which it did. Because he was the manager everyone wanted in the summer.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out. If you're not going to give a top chef the ingredients he needs, he isn't going to make you the food a high demanding fanbase desires.

Mourinho was always destined to fail, he was way past his best. But for a time, I dared to believe with Conte. Especially in the second half of last season. Scoring 4+ goals against multiple teams. Beating City away. Smashing Woolwich etc.

But it hasn't worked.

Go back to what we have done best over the last 15 years. Get a manager in who can get the best out of what he's got. Good man-managers, who like their teams to be play good expansive football and hope to unearth a few gems in the process.

Because they're the only ones who are going to do "well" under Levy.
Doing well? What's doing well? Getting top 4? We got lucky that United and Woolwich were so shit for so long, and we STILL didn't win anything.

We go that way in 1-2 years we will sack the manager after not backing him then go back to a pragmatic manager like Tuchel.
Mourinho and now Conte havent worked out, even they must see that there is no shortcut to success. With Newcastle in the picture now, this is really the only way forward.

it might be time to move kane on. the premier league just gobbles you up if youre too slow.

would like to see him get a rest when rich is back and have some time on the bench he might come back sharper from it, if he doesnt its time to move on.

we could be in a situation with kane like united was in with ronaldo. he might still score a load of goals but its at the cost of the team. i hope this isnt the case and if he has a bit of a rest he comes back sharper. today wasnt a good watch he looked far too slow.

Conte:

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."

At this point anybody justifying a conte system with a back 5 is an absolute loony. Conte game management and ability to change it is non existant. Sorry but 15m a year and this is all he has to offer in terms of tactics team selection and style is just not good enough.

Conte:

"I want to be honest, I want to be very clear. I have said this to the club, I have said my opinions. The fans deserve the best. Maybe to stay in 5th is the best. Maybe 6th, 7th, 5th or 4th is the best."
Sounds like he doesn't want to take any responsibility to me. Staying 5 at the back when 2-0 down is on nobody but conte.

His system cannot be so intransigent that it can't cope with a few injuries or not signing exactly the player he wants. Any manager, at whatever level, has to work with what he has and get the best from them. Improve them.

Great post.

What is Conte fcuking doing to justify his huge pay packet? On this evidence, looking out the window eating pasta.

Back
Top Bottom