Antonio Conte

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Here’s an outrageous Conte stat. His average points per season when managing in a first division league is 87!!!

The man learned at the knee of Sacchi, Lippi, Zoff, and Trapattoni, has played or coached in UCL, Euro, and World Cup Finals, won first division titles with three clubs, guided Juve, Inter, and Chelsea from the wilderness, essentially invented the modern 3-5-2, and played alongside Zidane, Maldini, Baggio, Baresi, Del Piero, Deschamps, Buffon, Davids, and many others. He’s a certified legend.

Yet, people on message boards say his team doesn’t have structure. He’s genuinely probably has one of the top 5 most accomplished player/managerial careers in the history of football alongside Cruyff, Guardiola, Zidane, Heynckes. And he’s in his prime, coaching Tottenham fucking Hotspur.

I’d love to see his response to such nonsense. We’re getting top 4 this season and winning something this year, I can feel it in my plums.

Here’s an outrageous Conte stat. His average points per season when managing in a first division league is 87!!!

The man learned at the knee of Sacchi, Lippi, Zoff, and Trapattoni, has played or coached in UCL, Euro, and World Cup Finals, won first division titles with three clubs, guided Juve, Inter, and Chelsea from the wilderness, essentially invented the modern 3-5-2, and played alongside Zidane, Maldini, Baggio, Baresi, Del Piero, Deschamps, Buffon, Davids, and many others. He’s a certified legend.

Yet, people on message boards say his team doesn’t have structure. He’s genuinely probably has one of the top 5 most accomplished player/managerial careers in the history of football alongside Cruyff, Guardiola, Zidane, Heynckes. And he’s in his prime, coaching Tottenham fucking Hotspur.

I’d love to see his response to such nonsense. We’re getting top 4 this season and winning something this year, I can feel it in my plums.
Yet... according to some he's being told who to pick by Ryan Mason!! 🤣

What was our game plan against Leeds? Honest question, not a criticism. I just didn't see what we were trying to do.

Yet... according to some he's being told who to pick by Ryan Mason!! 🤣
😂😂😂 All-time conspiracy theory, it’s honestly QAnon level. Conte would murder Mason and bury him under one of the training pitches at Hotspur Way before he let him or Levy impact team selection or tactics.

The man has tussled without regret or mercy with faaaaaaaaaaar larger fish than Daniel Levy and Ryan Mason. I actually can’t imagine his reaction if someone suggested that he was influenced by them, he’d be so offended.

Not Conte’s fault that Winks was the only midfielder remaining due to suspension, injury, and overconsumption of condiments.

What was our game plan against Leeds? Honest question, not a criticism. I just didn't see what we were trying to do.
Well, unlike some of past stubborn and questionable managers, Conte admitted he got the first half entirely wrong tactically because he was concerned about our fitness compared to Leeds and took responsibility for being too cautious. To quote,

“That’s true, and for sure at the start of the game I was scared. I was afraid about this aspect. In these three weeks, we have worked also on the physical aspect but we worked with the players that we had with us.

The rest of the players were with the national teams. When I arrived in Tottenham, we played two games - Vitesse and then Everton - and we couldn’t work on this aspect.

For sure we need to improve because I like to bring this intensity. I had a bit of perplexity [whether] to use this intensity for the start. I didn’t know if we could bring this intensity for the whole game.

First half, for sure but it was my decision. We were more compact. We left them to lead the possession. Second half I totally changed the situation and the tactical aspect and also I said to them we had to go, man to man, and play with the same intensity. If we wanted to beat Leeds, we had to beat Leeds at what they’re good at doing.”

In the second half we played a much higher line, pressed higher up the pitch, and committed our fullbacks, double pivot, and even centerbacks (see Davies’ scoring chance) way further up the pitch. It was a standard pressing success. We compressed the space for Leeds to put play in and won the ball in good positions and consequently had double digits shots on target and 2+ xG.

Honestly, maybe he didn’t get it wrong, maybe we only have one half of pressing the way he wants with the current level of fitness. Either way, I see it as unmitigated success that he was able to communicate and implement a significant half time change that won the game, despite having very few practices with most of the players having just been hired and most of our starting 11 being gone for internationals.

For a more in depth read: Tottenham 2 Leeds 1: Premier League Tactical Analysis - The Coaches' Voice

Well, unlike some of past stubborn and questionable managers, Conte admitted he got the first half entirely wrong tactically because he was concerned about our fitness compared to Leeds and took responsibility for being too cautious. To quote,

“That’s true, and for sure at the start of the game I was scared. I was afraid about this aspect. In these three weeks, we have worked also on the physical aspect but we worked with the players that we had with us.

The rest of the players were with the national teams. When I arrived in Tottenham, we played two games - Vitesse and then Everton - and we couldn’t work on this aspect.

For sure we need to improve because I like to bring this intensity. I had a bit of perplexity [whether] to use this intensity for the start. I didn’t know if we could bring this intensity for the whole game.

First half, for sure but it was my decision. We were more compact. We left them to lead the possession. Second half I totally changed the situation and the tactical aspect and also I said to them we had to go, man to man, and play with the same intensity. If we wanted to beat Leeds, we had to beat Leeds at what they’re good at doing.”

In the second half we played a much higher line, pressed higher up the pitch, and committed our fullbacks, double pivot, and even centerbacks (see Davies’ scoring chance) way further up the pitch. It was a standard pressing success. We compressed the space for Leeds to put play in and won the ball in good positions and consequently had double digits shots on target and 2+ xG.

Honestly, maybe he didn’t get it wrong, maybe we only have one half of pressing the way he wants with the current level of fitness. Either way, I see it as unmitigated success that he was able to communicate and implement a significant half time change that won the game, despite having very few practices with most of the players having just been hired and most of our starting 11 being gone for internationals.

For a more in depth read: Tottenham 2 Leeds 1: Premier League Tactical Analysis - The Coaches' Voice
Great post. Thanks!

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

I haven't watched the game back, but from what I could make out there was a lot more verticality :avbnaa: in our passing. The centre halfs were trying pass on the floor to our forward line through the middle of the pitch, with the forward popping it off. It didn't work in the first half as we couldn't handle the pressure of the Leeds backline but it was definitely new

Enjoyed that insightful post. Cheers. 👍

Back
Top Bottom