Anyone else going to be boycotting matches, after recent events?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will you be boycotting matches, to show your displeasure at the treatment of non-playing staff?

• Total voters
Hey everyone,

I wish my first post on this forum were a more positive one! After recent events, I’m done with the club, until there’s either a huuuuuge apology for the furlough and ‘come and work on my grounds!’embarrassments, or either Levy or Lewis (or both) leave.

Is anyone else feeling as embarrassed/upset/angry as I am right now? Anyone else going to stop going to matches etc? The way I’m feeling right now, I’m going to go to some lower league matches instead next season. I guess, in situations like this one, you get to see the true colours of some of the people at the top of the game 😔

It's all being very well overblown. Companies worth many times over more than Spurs have taken the exact same measures. You going to switch off the lights to punish Eon? Scrap your Nissan? Boycott British Airways? Forego that McD's? Skip the cuppa at Costa? Give up shopping at Primark?

It's a ridiculous double standard, expecting football clubs, a business that has some of the thinnest financial margins in the entire world, to sit by and eat losses that amount to double digit percentages of turnover whilst every other business in the world takes advantage of government programs designed to protect business from default.

Levy is merely protecting the solvency of the club. If this lasts another month, you see big bollocks Liverpool come back hat in hand as well. No company, much less a football club, can go months on end paying their payroll whilst paying overhead with zero revenue stream.

Hey everyone,

I wish my first post on this forum were a more positive one! After recent events, I’m done with the club, until there’s either a huuuuuge apology for the furlough and ‘come and work on my grounds!’embarrassments, or either Levy or Lewis (or both) leave.

Is anyone else feeling as embarrassed/upset/angry as I am right now? Anyone else going to stop going to matches etc? The way I’m feeling right now, I’m going to go to some lower league matches instead next season. I guess, in situations like this one, you get to see the true colours of some of the people at the top of the game 😔
Apology? What apology do you deserve and why?

Let's face it, no true fan will ever give up being Spurs.
We'll all moan, complain and say "I've had enough of this shit" but we all come crawling back in the end.

We don't support the board, the players (they come and go) or the ground, we support the club.
We can have different opinions on how the club is run or which players are shite but even if we get relegated, we will all STILL be Spurs.

Or at least we should be.

If Spurs don't reverse their decision to furlough support staff I will boycot them permanently I'm afraid. And then Mourinho flouting the govt advice too?? Nothing less than ignorant. While on my soap box, if Kane were to leave for the red Mancs would give me more reason to boycot them.

It's all being very well overblown. Companies worth many times over more than Spurs have taken the exact same measures. You going to switch off the lights to punish Eon? Scrap your Nissan? Boycott British Airways? Forego that McD's? Skip the cuppa at Costa? Give up shopping at Primark?

It's a ridiculous double standard, expecting football clubs, a business that has some of the thinnest financial margins in the entire world, to sit by and eat losses that amount to double digit percentages of turnover whilst every other business in the world takes advantage of government programs designed to protect business from default.

Levy is merely protecting the solvency of the club. If this lasts another month, you see big bollocks Liverpool come back hat in hand as well. No company, much less a football club, can go months on end paying their payroll whilst paying overhead with zero revenue stream.

levy couldn’t give a fuck about the club , he is just protecting his investment , and this just gives him the perfect excuse not to sign any players

Let's face it, no true fan will ever give up being Spurs.
We'll all moan, complain and say "I've had enough of this shit" but we all come crawling back in the end.

We don't support the board, the players (they come and go) or the ground, we support the club.
We can have different opinions on how the club is run or which players are shite but even if we get relegated, we will all STILL be Spurs.

Or at least we should be.
I agree , if your spurs you can’t give it up, it’s in your blood, but I’m considering giving up the ST and not wasting a few grand a year to follow the club, I don’t get the same excitement at games any more , football has evolved, it’s just a business now , and as much as I love the club I’m not sure I can justify spending so much to follow it any more , I think I would rather watch the games at home and spend the money saved on a few weeks in the sun

I have to say, after seeing the behaviour of the club (no, it isn't being "overblown" as the ENIC defenders would have you believe) we are owned by a fucking billionaire, no excuses for using government money to pay staff, 3 months would be £1.5M to pay all staff, that's a piss in a puddle for ENIC.

People defending their actions should be fucking embarrassed but if this crisis has proven anything to me it's that we live amongst incredibly entitled and stupid people so it doesn't surprise me that people are defending it.

And seeing the behaviour of not only our players but players from other clubs during this and how they believe they are above the rules I am disgusted.

I don't want to fund the lifestyles of these overpaid brats or watch them kick another football unless something drastically changes (which it won't.)

So I guess that answers the question.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I’m not trying to start an argument, I promise. I’m genuinely just testing the water to see what everyone is thinking about it all.

I know we should all support the club, above all else. It’s just difficult when issues like this current one arise. Personally, I don’t think the players are to blame in this situation at all, so think it’s unfair that they’re being given so much stick by other people about their salary etc. I think they genuinely just want to see their pay cut go towards the NHS/community/charities etc.

Regarding bigger fish, like McDonald’s etc, I hear you (more should be done to get the likes of Amazon etc to pay more tax; that side of things is disgusting as well), but at the same time football clubs should reflect their fans, and they’re not doing it at the moment. There’s a reason why Liverpool have reversed their decision (via a kick up the backside); it may have financially have been legal, but it would have been morally unacceptable to do so.

Regarding Kane, I don’t think he wants to leave, but I think, if nothing changes at the club by the end of next season, he might have to move on, if he wants to win any notable silverware 😬 Sad, but true! To be honest, I’d rather lose Kane and keep Son at the moment. Ideally, I’d like us to keep both haha

I have to say, after seeing the behaviour of the club (no, it isn't being "overblown" as the ENIC defenders would have you believe) we are owned by a fucking billionaire, no excuses for using government money to pay staff, 3 months would be £1.5M to pay all staff, that's a piss in a puddle for ENIC.

People defending their actions should be fucking embarrassed but if this crisis has proven anything to me it's that we live amongst incredibly entitled and stupid people so it doesn't surprise me that people are defending it.

And seeing the behaviour of not only our players but players from other clubs during this and how they believe they are above the rules I am disgusted.

I don't want to fund the lifestyles of these overpaid brats or watch them kick another football unless something drastically changes (which it won't.)

I wonder if all the people defending Enic over this realise we will end up paying for this in increased taxes for years to come

I agree , if your spurs you can’t give it up, it’s in your blood, but I’m considering giving up the ST and not wasting a few grand a year to follow the club, I don’t get the same excitement at games any more , football has evolved, it’s just a business now , and as much as I love the club I’m not sure I can justify spending so much to follow it any more , I think I would rather watch the games at home and spend the money saved on a few weeks in the sun

Sad times mate. I hear you when it comes to ticket prices. I used to be able to get a ticket for £40 at the front, on the halfway line at the old WHL, but now it closer to £200. Madness. I understand we have to pay off the debt of the new stadium, but those prices are mad. £70 for any seat in the stadium now... give me a break 😬

When you put it like that it's disgraceful.

I can see some not re-newing there ST but there will be plenty of others who will replace you.

Not a pop, just my opinion

Sad times mate. I hear you when it comes to ticket prices. I used to be able to get a ticket for £40 at the front, on the halfway line at the old WHL, but now it closer to £200. Madness. I understand we have to pay off the debt of the new stadium, but those prices are mad. £70 for any seat in the stadium now... give me a break 😬
Add in to the fact that it’s not even enjoyable any more and you start to struggle to convince yourself to renew

levy couldn’t give a fuck about the club , he is just protecting his investment , and this just gives him the perfect excuse not to sign any players
I don't think the current situation has changed the clubs MO the policy has always been one of careful restrained spending, this global situation has just increased the spotlight on the club.

I wonder if all the people defending Enic over this realise we will end up paying for this in increased taxes for years to come

I don't think they do mate, that's the issue. We are going to be taxed out the arse and vulnerable people and working class people are going to face cuts everywhere after this is all said and done, they will be the ones affected, not these rich billionaires.

It's like these free government meals being sent out, people taking them when they don't even need them and can afford to get food.

Back
Top Bottom