Apart from Sol Campbell, which player went down in your estimation the most?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Robbie Keane was one of my favourite Tottenham players (in his first spell) but I lost all respect for him after he went behind Redknapp's back, organised the Christmas party in Dublin and then for the defiance he showed towards Redknapp in the aftermath. This undoubtedly led to him going to Celtic on loan shortly afterwards.

What made it worse for me was that Tottenham were clearly going places under Redknapp and I would have thought the players would have shown Redknapp more respect, particularly Keane who instigated the whole thing.

I now view Robbie Keane as an absolute prick, a complete turnaround in my opinion of him.

Another was Freddie Kanoute for the way he fucked off mid-season to the African Cup of Nations to play for Mali (who he had NEVER played for before - he couldn't get into the France squad) at a time when we were in desperate trouble in the League and he was the only person scoring goals for us.
His actions could have got us relegated.

My dad's choice would be Mike England because he said he turned his back on Tottenham when they were struggling.
Although this was before my time, I'd tend to disagree with this.
England was struggling with injuries at the time and left English football altogether. If he was fit and had joined another top flight side that would have been different.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on Mike England leaving Tottenham.

Robbie Keane was one of my favourite Tottenham players (in his first spell) but I lost all respect for him after he went behind Redknapp's back, organised the Christmas party in Dublin and then for the defiance he showed towards Redknapp in the aftermath. This undoubtedly led to him going to Celtic on loan shortly afterwards.

What made it worse for me was that Tottenham were clearly going places under Redknapp and I would have thought the players would have shown Redknapp more respect, particularly Keane who instigated the whole thing.

I now view Robbie Keane as an absolute prick, a complete turnaround in my opinion of him.

Another was Freddie Kanoute for the way he fucked off mid-season to the African Cup of Nations to play for Mali (who he had NEVER played for before - he couldn't get into the France squad) at a time when we were in desperate trouble in the League and he was the only person scoring goals for us.

My dad's choice would be Mike England because he said he turned his back on Tottenham when they were struggling.
England was struggling with injuries at the time and left English football altogether. If he was fit and had joined another top flight side that would have been different.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions on Mike England leaving Tottenham.

Too young to have seen the ME incident so can't really comment. Would need to ask older fans in my own family!

RK - I wouldn't call him a prick, but he went down in my estimation for all of the reasons you say. He did return but it wasn't quite the same, and he obviously wasn't as good!

More or less agree re. Kanoute. A very silky and smooth player on his day but his attitude left a lot to be desired at times. I think with a better mentality he could have been a very good player for us, rather than one who was fitfully good. Probably not an easy time to play for us, in his defence.

Jennings. I know he is Spurs and thinks of himself as Spurs and I realise that the board treated him badly but it still rankles. I don't think of him in the same way as other Spurs legends.

I was already emotionally divorced from Keane from his move to the dippers....

Rose, Defoe, Eriksen: Any time a player goes to bat for themselves in the media I lose a huge amount of respect for them.

Berbatov: Mugging us off how he did on deadline day.

Kyle Walker: Fantasising about money and easy silverware whilst we were in the thick of our own title race and residing over his suitors.

Last edited:
Only a few replies in and what I think this shows (together with the OP) is that though we gripe a lot about modern players the issue of player vs. club power has always been a live one.

I'm not sure player power is behind either the Keane or Kanoute situations.
Player power is where the player deliberately undermines the manager's day to day authority or looks to force his removal.

For me, the Keane incident was an example of a player going behind the manager's back in the hope of not being found out which is a different thing.

Under the rules, Kanoute had every right to do what he did but that doesn't mean it was right and the consequences could have been disastrous for Tottenham.
It wasn't a deliberate act to undermine anybody but he should never have done it.

As far as Jennings is concerned, I didn't think it was his decision to leave Tottenham. The club felt he was surplus to requirements and let him go.
Jennings would have stayed but Tottenham released him so I don't really have an issue with him going to Woolwich.

Another factor in the Robbie Keane incident was that Redknapp rescued him from his disastrous spell at Liverpool.
You would have thought Keane would have felt indebted to him.

But no.
The fucking prick.

More or less agree re. Kanoute. A very silky and smooth player on his day but his attitude left a lot to be desired at times. I think with a better mentality he could have been a very good player for us, rather than one who was fitfully good. Probably not an easy time to play for us, in his defence.

It's still not a reason to fuck off mid-season to take part in an international tournament with a country that he's never even played for.

The fucking cunt.

Jennings. I know he is Spurs and thinks of himself as Spurs and I realise that the board treated him badly but it still rankles. I don't think of him in the same way as other Spurs legends.
He could never do wrong in my book, got Northern Ireland to two World Cups almost single handedly...

I was thinking more of Tottenham players.
Put it in the title then! ;)

No but seriously if your talking former spurs players Graham Roberts has a bit of a habit of posting daft tweets.
I don't dislike the guy although I feel like he does more harm than good with some of his opinions.

Keane for me. But not for the Christmas thing. I lost any feeling for him when he went to the scousers.

That didn't bother me, he had been a good servant to the club (at that point).

Teddy Sheringham was my all-time favourite player but I understood why he went to Manchester United and I didn't have an issue with that. He had been a fabulous player for 5 years and it was ironic that after he left, Tottenham won silverware before he did!

But it was the Christmas party that totally changed my view of Robbie Keane.
The fucking piece of shit, I'm still angry about it now.

Back
Top Bottom