Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday 10th March

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was a perfectly fine tactic and generated numerous chances on the break that poor decisions from their attackers meant they didn’t score.

They fell apart at 1-0 but before that the game-plan was working fine and they had carved out the better openings, relying a lot on our own (predictable) mistakes.

We were just more clinical when they made mistakes in the 2nd half and tight, tactical affairs tend to end up with one team running away with it when they lead.
In all honesty they looked like they lost all belief in what they were doing after the first half.

Douglas Luiz was decent the rest were shit.

Mickey Van der Ten out of Ten pocketed Bailey from minute 1

Bissouma was strong and assured apart from that abysmal pass.

Johnson was aggressive from the start.

Udogie ran through them.

Was only a matter of time they fell apart. And they really did.

Was a bit embarrassing for them. In all honesty.

Went 5-3-2 to counter our tactics when he's played 4-4-2 all season, made it really easy for us to pin them back.

That didn’t matter. We created nothing the entire first half. Literally nothing. Tactically a masterclass. Slightly better pass on one breakaway or Watkins shooting early on another and they lead.

From there Emery I think was hoping for lapses. They came, Villa’s players just didn’t work with them.

Then they just fucked it horrendously in the second half .. I don’t think Emery had faith in some of the individuals and you can see why. The ‘keep it safe, hope for breaks’ setup was working till they were dumb.

Emery is a great tactician. But tactics are just that, game still comes down to players. I saw this more as Villa’s players letting themselves down than a tactical failure.

Went 5-3-2 to counter our tactics when he's played 4-4-2 all season, made it really easy for us to pin them back.

There was quite an obvious difference in both halves.

They tried staying defensively solid, frustrate us and look to counter with Watkins in the first half. Which they were having somewhat success with.

Second half, they weirdly tried to press us. And that was their downfall. And even stranger, Palace had the exact same plan last week.

In all honesty they looked like they lost all belief in what they were doing after the first half.

Douglas Luiz was decent the rest were shit.

Mickey Van der Ten out of Ten pocketed Bailey from minute 1

Bissouma was strong and assured apart from that abysmal pass.

Johnson was aggressive from the start.

Udogie ran through them.

Was only a matter of time they fell apart. And they really did.

Was a bit embarrassing for them. In all honesty.

Not sure about that. The first goal was the killer, when a very cautious setup goes behind you see initial confusion - do we stick with this plan or change?

They tried to change after going behind. Then they got caught again due to individuals not being up to it, and we punished them ruthlessly.

From there it’s game, set & match.

We’re the better team, personnel wise. Think this game really clearly showed that. Emery imo is a better tactician than Ange but we were just much sharper in the areas of the pitch that matter.

That didn’t matter. We created nothing the entire first half. Literally nothing. Tactically a masterclass. Slightly better pass on one breakaway or Watkins shooting early on another and they lead.

From there Emery I think was hoping for lapses. They came, Villa’s players just didn’t work with them.

Then they just fucked it horrendously in the second half .. I don’t think Emery had faith in some of the individuals and you can see why. The ‘keep it safe, hope for breaks’ setup was working till they were dumb.

Emery is a great tactician. But tactics are just that, game still comes down to players. I saw this more as Villa’s players letting themselves down than a tactical failure.
We fucking bullied them all game. VDV ended Watkins.
Why shit on our performance?

What's weird is that Villa and Palace especially, caused us a bit of frustration by playing defensive, not really engaging in the press in first half of games.

Only for both of those teams to come out pressing us in the second half and both times it cost the teams.

They're not the only teams to do it. But it's just odd why teams choose to do it against us. When they do, we absolutely blitz teams and score a few in a spell.

I don't think people realise how draining playing defensive football is.

As much as Emre shat the bed by packing them in with the extra CB, I think we actually forced them back too.... Lots of turnovers up their end in the first half. They just coped with our attacks due to the 2 banks of 3 across the center making it difficult to breach a packed box, but like you say keeping that up for 90 is a big ask...... And scoring in pairs is a massive bodyblow.

Last edited:
Magnificent result today, we were right at it from the off, pressing high and silenced the home support. They had one shot on target the entire game, played most of it with twelve men, with the ref giving them anything near 50:50. Hopefully VDV injury is minor, as he was excellent until picking up the injury. Reckon a few got a rollicking at half time, as likes of Kulu and Sarr really stepped it up in second half. Between Udogie and Son for Motm for me, but can understand almost anyone getting it. Pivotal result, put our fate in our own hands and eliminated the goal difference advantage villa had over us. Coys.

Defensively they were fine but tactics are two way, not just defending but attacking as well and what I saw is a poor Villa team going forward struggling to create opportunities and play out. That 4-4-2 was the same formation which made City and Woolwich look ordinary by the way when they visited VP so why change it, overthinking?

Paid us way too much respect which meant we ended up dominating most of the match, they were chasing shadows and got tired as a result.

You can't say that was a tactical masterclass and then say that he didn't have faith in the players to pull it off.

We fucking bullied them all game. VDV ended Watkins.
Why shit on our performance?

Not a single word written was shitting on our performance at all.

The first half was good in terms of restricting them/game control but we had no opportunities.

Second half we bossed and then took them apart after 1-0.

I think Spurs plan with the lack of strikers capable of scoring 20+ goals being available is to get a number of forwards capable to getting 20 or so goal involvements (ie including assists) in the squad.

Hence we now have Son, Richarlison, Johnson, Werner, Maddison - and we've scored 59 goals in PL this season versus the top 3 who have scored 70, 65 and 63 respectively so our strategy is broadly working given its Johnson's first season and Werner only came in January.

The idea that a trio of Martinelli / Jesus / Saka is levels above what we have is a big stretch.

Not sure I rate Luis Diaz as top class either....

Haaland, Foden, Salah, Saka (yuk) & Son are the only true heavyweights......... Bernardo is mustard too but Pep never plays him in the front 3 anymore.

Because he’s a Saka fanboy who dreams of swallowing Rice.
I dunno mate.
But I must have been watching a different game.
We beasted the fuckers throughout. Their one great great chance was farted on by VDV who was superb again. Hope he’s just picked up a slight knock.
At no point apart from that one moment did we look in any real danger.

Last edited:
Defensively they were fine but tactics are two way, not just defending but attacking as well and what I saw is a poor Villa team going forward struggling to create opportunities and play out. That 4-4-2 was the same formation which made City and Woolwich look ordinary by the way when they visited VP so why change it, overthinking?

Paid us way too much respect which meant we ended up dominating most of the match, they were chasing shadows and got tired as a result.

You can't say that was a tactical masterclass and then say that he didn't have faith in the players to pull it off.

They had very interesting attacking situations until 1-0. Again, when you go behind in a game like this you either recover quick or you melt. They melted.

There’s probably a reason he didn’t have faith. Emery has forgotten more about football than either of us know, let alone what he knows about his players. Lenglet/Torres if they pressed and pushed up would’ve been killed.

I think Emery knew we have better players, knew his team weren’t 100% after the EL and hoped to keep it very tight, not make errors and for Watkins to have a good game. The opposite happened.

I can't believe their game plan was to knock it long. Knowing we've the best recovery centre back in probably the world.
I can, I remember when Emery was at Woolwich. He would have the same cowardly approach giving the opposition too much respect even if they were weaker.

He's done well at Villa but the scum sacked him for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom