Atmosphere Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Heard some AVB's blue n white Army, Andre give us a wave (greeted by a very loud cheer which was great), and the slow Glory Glory :bow: (all from my stream, wish I was there :sad: )

I'd fookin love to know how many of the 1882 and Reading mob are going to QPR, because these are the souls that will Save Our Atmosphere.

A good performance and win at home, and the fun could start returning to WHL.

My first game this season will be either Pool or Swansea (dont tell that Brigante fella), and hopefully by then WHL will be an noisy place again.

Well played all.

Nice article from the BBC which mentions the fans yesterday (didnt want to put this in the Press thread as its a good article)

Contented Villas-Boas finally feels some warmth

villasboas2.jpg

At the Madejski Stadium

The recognition came 72 minutes into Andre Villas-Boas's fourth Premier League game in charge of Tottenham, moments after Gareth Bale's scuffed shot secured his first victory.

Spurs led 2-0 at Reading and the travelling contingent of supporters felt confident enough in that margin and their manager to demand a wave from Villas-Boas.

He stepped forward to issue instructions, the trademark squat on his haunches now seemingly abandoned in favour of a straight-backed stance, and briefly raised an arm towards one corner of the Madejski Stadium as he returned to the dug-out.

Hardly lift-off in his relationship with those who view him with scepticism after succeeding Harry Redknapp.
Villas-Boas sealed his first league win as Tottenham manager

Villas-Boas sealed his first league win as Tottenham manager

Hardly a fall into the warm embrace of his new followers - but recognition all the same, and no doubt welcomed by a manager under a unique form of pressure.

It was a shaft of warmth after a somewhat frosty start, White Hart Lane having shown its displeasure at draws with West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City.

Villas-Boas arrived at Reading to a backdrop of speculation that his position was already under scrutiny and the next three games could shape his destiny. It was the sort of territory he seems to have staked out almost permanently since he arrived at Chelsea at the start of last season.

He insisted he was in a state of blissful ignorance of such matters because he does not read newspapers. And he was certainly satisfied enough after an emphatic Spurs display that produced enough evidence to suggest players are buying the ideas Villas-Boas has been selling them.

Nor did Villas-Boas waste any time on a perceived jibe from his predecessor Redknapp who had claimed - colourfully, shall we say - in an interview that modern managers with "70-page dossiers" could baffle players.

Of course one victory hardly wipes away doubts about the Portuguese that remain from his flawed spell at Chelsea, especially against a Reading team that understandably looked off the pace following a 25-day break from competitive football.

But there was a purpose, shape and fluidity about Spurs, especially in midfield, that ensured Villas-Boas was sporting a smile that looked like it might have to be surgically removed after the final whistle.

It is a nonsense that any manager's future should be examined after three games, but there is no doubt Villas-Boas has a credibility gap to make up, given the turbulence at Stamford Bridge and the fact that he was replacing a popular manager who took Spurs to fourth last season.

He is also working with a powerful personality and chairman in Daniel Levy, so it is natural the dynamics of their relationship will be studied closely.

Villas-Boas was a feisty, confrontational individual at Chelsea and by the time he left was not winning any popularity contests - but now is his chance to fashion a new team at White Hart Lane while demonstrating personal lessons have been learned.

He showed strength of character and good man-management in insisting 41-year-old goalkeeper Brad Friedel would not be instantly replaced by France captain Hugo Lloris, after the latter arrived in a deal that could cost almost £12m.

No matter that Spurs could have played without a goalkeeper for large portions of this win - two goals from Jermain Defoe with Bale's between them was scant reward for how far superior they were to Reading - the decision to back Friedel was an illustration that form not price tags will be his guide. His players will surely appreciate that policy if Villas-Boas sticks to it.

The context must be provided by how poor Reading were, although Brian McDermott's side will have better days ahead, but there was plenty for Villas-Boas to be content about as the bus pulled out of Reading.

Sandro and Mousa Dembele formed a central midfield partnership of power and threat, the latter in particular seeming to have a selection of higher gears to slip into. Gylfi Sigurdsson, warmly received by Reading fans after his spell there, was also progressive and showed his quality with a wonderful sliding pass that helped Aaron Lennon set up Defoe's first.

Lennon may also cause some of Villas-Boas's luxurious locks to turn grey before their time, but his partnership with Kyle Walker has burning pace, while Bale will provide creativity and goals on the other flank.

Defoe, meanwhile, seems reborn in the lone striker role. Never doubted as an instinctive finisher, here he worked tirelessly for the team as well as doing what comes naturally. Villas-Boas could not have been more lavish in his praise of the striker, again something an important player will appreciate.

It means no easy route back for Emmanuel Adebayor just yet and new boy Clint Dempsey was restricted to a 12-minute run-out as a substitute with the game comfortably put to bed.

So while one win hardly ushers in the new era, a start has at least been made and Villas-Boas now knows there is good will waiting to come his way from Spurs fans.
He announced he would "come out of Reading very satisfied". And who can blame him?

Villa and Maribor are the only home games I'm not going to at the moment. Lazio, QPR, Chelsea and Wigan all booked up and will do the rest up until the end of the year.

Atmosphere lulled for about 10 minutes yesterday when Reading seemed like they slowly were getting back into it. Then their fans got cocky because they sang for the first time all game and we picked it up again.

Glory Glory Hallelujah for about 5 minutes was awesome.

Loved the Slow Glory Glory, like with the ohh when the spurs i want both of those to go longer than normal. I was constantly shouting "ONE MORE!" with the ohh when the spurs, then got annoyed when it got going.

Was outstanding support at Reading. Well done one and all. Just goes to show that we're not a fanbase made up of moaning booing cunts, but there's some truly genuinely truly passionate Spurs out there.

YidoBuckler said:
And isn't it funny the media mention that we sang "Andre, give us a wave" but ignored the chants of "AVB's Blue & White Army" which were much more regular.

This was really winding me up this morning when I read an article in the Times. Sad, I know.

eggsoakley said:
Loved the Slow Glory Glory, like with the ohh when the spurs i want both of those to go longer than normal. I was constantly shouting "ONE MORE!" with the ohh when the spurs, then got annoyed when it got going.

It's meant to be twice, minimum. How do people not know that by now?

I'm hoarse, 2 working days in a row I'm hoarse in the office (and slightly hungover). Already looking forward to Southampton away.

Thelonious said:
I'm hoarse, 2 working days in a row I'm hoarse in the office (and slightly hungover). Already looking forward to Southampton away.

am applying for that one. First league away game in a long long time. (where i've not sat with the home fans)
Hope i've got enough points to get a ticket

Make sure you let them know who the slow version "Oh When" rightly belongs to.....I dont care that we (along with every other team "stole" it 50yrs ago) from them, but it makes my blood boil when they and Stoke rape it.

I was a Reading and will hopefully go to Southampton, no home games booked up at the moment.
The atmosphere was amazing, and have had the slow glory glory's in my head all day today.

YidoBuckler said:
I hope to go to St Mary's as well, reckon it'll go to members or am I gonna have to get a ticket or two of one of our lovely ST holders that isn't going?

Depends entirely on the allocation, they don't normally sell out at home so you'd think they will try to get extra £'s where ever they can...

eggsoakley said:
Yeah you can until the 28th sept for ST holders.

I might go to it, depends on my mate and sister.
Never been Southampton away so looking forward to this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHTTFOwsDs[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMBMgxUw6YQ[/youtube]
:adeohshit:

Back
Top Bottom