AVB on Bale and PSG Offer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has no regrets about turning down PSG
By Patrick Haond | Last Updated: September 26, 2013 12:11pm

Andre Villas-Boas admits it was flattering to be approached by Paris Saint Germain in the summer, but he has no regrets as he believes Tottenham are more advanced in their progress than the French champions.

Following Carlo Ancelotti's departure to Real Madrid, PSG considered a number of names, one of which was Villas-Boas.

The Spurs boss admits that he was temped by a move to the French capital but he is happy to have remained at White Hart Lane.

"PSG? I have a very good relationship with chairman Nasser al-Khelaifi, I talk regularly with him," Villas-Boas told French daily L'Equipe.

"With Nasser we have mutual respect. The fact PSG contacted me was known but I wanted to stay a second season at Tottenham, building on the job I did last season and spending two seasons in the same club for the first time in my career."

The Portuguese coach says the fact Spurs took on board his opinions on matters such as the appointment of Franco Baldini as sporting director played a big part in him staying.

"The club listened to me on several decisions, notably hiring sport director Franco Baldini. I wanted to go on with the project here," he continued.

"I was attracted by the PSG project, indeed I believe PSG is attractive.

"If other people like the way you coach, it is flattering - but Tottenham is a very great club. PSG is experiencing structure change that Tottenham has already done. Tottenham is one step ahead.

"Considering the last two years of investments at PSG, the ambition is to win the Champions League, our ambition is be in it."

Despite his contact with al-Khelaifi, the Spurs boss says PSG's interest never got as far as to him having to turn down a firm approach.

"Did I receive a concrete offer from PSG? We never reached that step in our talks," he said.

Villas-Boas also had to deal with further upheaval at White Hart Lane this summer as star man Gareth Bale moved to Real Madrid for a world-record fee after months of wrangling.

"With the departure of Gareth Bale, players take on more responsibilities," he said.

"They know if they are good, people will more talk about them. So they have good reasons to shine."

And Villas-Boas admitted that while Bale may not yet be as good as Cristiano Ronaldo, he could be.

"He has the potential. But Ronaldo already confirmed that during his four years at Manchester United before he left," he said.

"Gareth only exploded in one year. Considering his potential, he could have the same influence, but it will depend on the way he adapts. At Real, he won't be the star as he was here."

Asked if Bale was worth the world-record fee, he added: "That is the market. He could have cost much more."

Villas-Boas admits he is tired of being likened to his compatriot Jose Mourinho, having followed the same path from Porto to Chelsea and also being part of his back-room staff earlier in his career
"Comparisons with Mourinho are difficult to accept for several reasons," he said.

"I learnt with Jose Mourinho, but I am completely different with my character, my working methods and my communication.

"We have different philosophies. Of course Jose has been very important in my career, he gave me experience I could not get with anyone else. We have a great professional relationship, but as soon as we parted I started to do things my own way.

"My philosophy is to have attacking teams that have initiative in the game, that like to keep the ball. Any match we play to win it and sometimes we pay for that."

Villas-Boas admits he was disappointed not to have worked more closely with Mourinho during their time together.

"I was not Mourinho's number two, I was part of his staff in several clubs, but I never was his assistant," he said.

"That is one of the reasons why we parted. I thought I could give him a lot more, but he didn't feel the need to have someone beside him."

The former Chelsea boss admitted that he learnt a lot from his short stint at Stamford Bridge, but he did change his methods after his spell in West London.

"Chelsea was a good experience to me because it allowed me to understand there are things I could not do," he revealed.

"I was the same coach I was in Porto. I wanted the team to follow my direction but I didn't find enough support to follow that direction.

"That experience taught me a lot and now at Tottenham I do things a different way. It is a matter of dynamics: if you win on the weekend, the leaders will follow you. And at Chelsea you are quickly under big pressure.

"Now I manage things a different way with key players. At Chelsea, I treated everyone the same way. But to make such decisions you have to get the club's support and you can't find it everywhere. At Porto, you get it.

"Chelsea was an experience to have. It made me stronger. I failed indeed. I had to win and I failed. Was it an impossible mission? It could have been possible, but indeed maybe it was impossible."

Villas-Boas admits Spurs' ambitions for the future were the main thing that persuaded him to take the White Hart Lane job, as he had a lot of options.

"I had contacts with a lot of teams, but I had a good talk with Tottenham and I felt there was something great to achieve: new stadium project, a chairman who wanted to develop his club," he said.

"The objective is to stabilise the club in the English football elite so that means playing in the Champions League regularly. Last year, we failed. Sometimes we were very strong but we had a gap in March and April."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...as-boas-has-no-regrets-about-turning-down-psg

I don't know why this unnerves me. Could just be AVBs english.
"With Nasser we have mutual respect. The fact PSG contacted me was known but I wanted to stay a second season at Tottenham, building on the job I did last season and spending two seasons in the same club for the first time in my career."

"We have different philosophies. Of course Jose has been very important in my career, he gave me experience I could not get with anyone else. We have a great professional relationship, but as soon as we parted I started to do things my own way.

"My philosophy is to have attacking teams that have initiative in the game, that like to keep the ball. Any match we play to win it and sometimes we pay for that."

:avbdamn:

:avbfu:

I find it somewhat strange (and at the same time spursy-paranoia predictable) that is the single comment some have chosen to focus on.

For all we know it could have been worded and contextualised completely different to what is written.

I for one, find it encouraging to hear he's learnt from his 'mistakes' at Chelsea and looking to establish a long-term legacy here

COYS

He may well be close to the billionaire that runs PSG, but that doesn't mean he would take the high pressure job as a Billionaires plaything. Hopefully that's one of the mistakes he has learned from at chelsea.

He is here for a while, the possibility of managing a team who realistically are in with a good shot of winning the league title after a gap of 50 + years has got to be a massive motivator for him. Those sort of achievements rarely happen if at all and it would look great on the CV.

Anyone else bored of the whole "master vs apprentice" thing being spouted by every idiot in the media? Looks like this is the #narrative for the game on Saturday. Was always going to be this way as soon as Mourinho returned I suppose, but it's a bit of a disservice to AVB I think and it probably bugs him. The quotes above only serve to back this up.

David fucking James even says it on the BT Sport promo for their coverage of the match

I believe he will see out his contract, which ends at the end of next season. I do not feel he is the type of manager to stick arround for long. He has come out and made previos statements about competing in Paris Daka rally. He has also said that he wants to manage in Brazil. I believe he has also said that he doesn't see himself remaining in football for that long.

He comes accross as a professional hard working and ambitious man. If his ambitions can't be met at Spurs I am sure he will leave for a team where he felt that he can achieve them elsewhere. (and bigger salary too).

I have no issues with him leaving if a) He is open and upfront b) Because of this we can prepare for departure c) We have a Director Of Football (+Sherwood, whatever his real role is) who's role is to be the custodian of Tottenham's phillosophy and to hire a Coach that can deliver it.

Other than in my own dream world, there is nothing to suggest that he will be our manager beyond 2015/16 season.

I believe he will see out his contract, which ends at the end of next season. I do not feel he is the type of manager to stick arround for long. He has come out and made previos statements about competing in Paris Daka rally. He has also said that he wants to manage in Brazil. I belive he has also said that he doesn't see himself remaining in football for that long.

He comes accross as a professional hard working and ambitious man. If his ambitions can't be met at Spurs I am sure he will leave for a team where he felt that he can achieve them elsewhere. (and bigger salary too).

I have no issues with him leaving if a) He is open and upfront b) Because of this we can prepare for departure c) We have a Director Of Football (+Sherwood, whatever his real role is) who's role is to be the custodian of Tottenham's phillosophy and to hire a Coach can deliver it.

Other than in my own dream world, there is nothing to suggest that he will be our manager beyond 2015/16 season.

he's only 35. He can stay 5 years and still be well ahead of most managers in the game when it comes to looking for another job elsewhere.

(I'm just saying this because your post is probably true and it made me sad)

he's only 35. He can stay 5 years and still be well ahead of most managers in the game when it comes to looking for another job elsewhere.

(I'm just saying this because your post is probably true and it made me sad)

At the end of last season I thought the same. I thought we could have a man that builds this team and can influence the new tallent comming through. I even dared to think we may have found our "new" Billy Nic! But that was all romance for me, the only reason I was thinking that was I could see our improvement and the fact he was young. Which when you think of it is no basis to get all dreamy. It just shows you that on hiring our 4 thousandth manager in 20yrs that I like this one more than most of the others.

There is nothing to suggest that he stays beyond his contract other than my romance for Spurs glory days. There is more evidence (however small and meaningless) to suggest he is not going to be arround long.

There is an alternative to the idea that he will up sticks in the relatively near future, he doesn't court pressure on himself quite so much by saying "I hope to still be here in ten years time"....and he is securing greater bargaining power by suggesting this isn't the be all and end all.

Back
Top Bottom