Barton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

QPR are freezing season ticket prices, which I read as "we plan on being relegated", not as "we love our fans who stuck by us in our return to the PL".

And Barton's quoting Nietzsche again on Twitter.

But at least I managed to make these two points without typing "Vertonghen".

Met Lineker a few times.

Always seemed like a fairly decent bloke.

On the first occasion I met him he sparked up conversation with me over the create your own salad island in Waitrose.

He was commenting on how much I was cramming into my pot :( "getting your moneys worth there ay big lad".

I used to go to the training ground as a kid when Gazza and Lineker et al were there, they'd always just hang about the car park for a chat and sign stuff.

No chance of that these days, Dre Beats on and run away.

tehTrunk said:
Met Lineker a few times.

Always seemed like a fairly decent bloke.

On the first occasion I met him he sparked up conversation with me over the create your own salad island in Waitrose.

He was commenting on how much I was cramming into my pot :( "getting your moneys worth there ay big lad".
He lives up the road from me in Barnes. Darren Anderton lives there as well.

Never met him but one of my older colleagues at the sports agency met him a few times in the business seats at football games and said he was a very friendly guy , even if he gives the impression that he is always mocking people.

He prob just slept around and Joey has seen that in his crystal ball

Lineker is meant to be a bit of an arsehole from what I hear. Arrogant and never wanting to speak to the little people.

Guess that explains why he spoke to Jack.

Oh no I didn't !11111

Burko said:
I used to go to the training ground as a kid when Gazza and Lineker et al were there, they'd always just hang about the car park for a chat and sign stuff.

No chance of that these days, Dre Beats on and run away.

We regularly ascribe this to the amount of money the players earn now, but why does being richer make them less eager to communicate with fans? I'm not disputing it plays a part, just wondering what this growing distance between fans and players is about. I sometimes think it's more to do with the fact society is much more individualist now as a whole, there's less focus on community and interaction. If someone chats to you in the street up in some Yorkshire village, where things are arguably more like society on a broader scale used to be like, it's normal. If they do it in London you'd think they were nutters.

S.L.R said:
We regularly ascribe this to the amount of money the players earn now, but why does being richer make them less eager to communicate with fans? I'm not disputing it plays a part, just wondering what this growing distance between fans and players is about. I sometimes think it's more to do with the fact society is much more individualist now as a whole, there's less focus on community and interaction. If someone chats to you in the street up in some Yorkshire village, where things are arguably more like society on a broader scale used to be like, it's normal. If they do it in London you'd think they were nutters.

The thing is even when Gazza was the most famous player in the world at Spurs he was still probably only on £10k per week - a lot of money but he still would have lived within a community in a relatively 'normal' house. People would have been able to walk up and ring his doorbell, stop him as he walked to his car, etc......now they earn £250k per week live in gated communities, with private security, etc.

That's what changed, they are living in a kind of exclusion from normal society and it affects the way they act and the way the public act towards them.

I'm all for a little bit of personality in footballers but Barton is just a bore with no self awareness, no humour and, essentially is a thug who was once promising as a football player.

If it happened in League 2 it wouldn't have been 12 games. 8 would have been the most for any other player, any other situation.

Don't really see what good over-punishing him does, just makes him have another case for conspiracy and quote another shitload of philosophical bollocks in defence of himself.

Also it will make QPR's reaction different in that they'll be more sympathetic towards their unfairly treated club captain and precious asset, when in reality it should be QPR's responsibility to punish him.

HyNdZee said:
If it happened in League 2 it wouldn't have been 12 games. 8 would have been the most for any other player, any other situation.

Don't really see what good over-punishing him does, just makes him have another case for conspiracy and quote another shitload of philosophical bollocks in defence of himself.

Also it will make QPR's reaction different in that they'll be more sympathetic towards their unfairly treated club captain and precious asset, when in reality it should be QPR's responsibility to punish him.

Understand your point but he's not like other players. Conventional bans have done nothing to stop him being an utter scumbag over the years and something should have been done way back to make the bans exponentially worse. He needs to understand that there's no conspiracy or smear campaign he literally is a complete shit that needs either medication or anger management.

Back
Top Bottom