Best formation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

3-5-2 if we are expecting to be playing on the counter 3-4-3 against teams we should be expecting to beat.

3-5-2 if we press high and control the midfield like we did second half against Leicester and other games we used it we spring forward with Son and Kane very fast and effective but against teams that sit back can have all the ball we want we will struggle to break teams who ain't open down.

You surrender the ball in the 3-4-3 and get outnumbered in that midfield but the creative force with the 3 upfront espically with Kulu playing lets us make the most of itwhen we have the ball. And the 2 in midfield are basically there to cover holes when the wingbacks bomb up

The issue in both is the lack of creativity from midfield and RWB with Emerson. Don't wanna keep digging him out but in both you need your wingbacks to be a creative force or at least the threat of it. And he really isn't that.

And the midfield although PEH has at times played higher-up this season he's hardly a creative force. So in the 3-4-3 your depending on your front 3 to be on song and there's little other then them in midfield and the wingbacks bar Perasic to help at times.

Hopefully see us swap between them both throughout the season and in the next 2 windows we need to upgrade those 2 weak spots to be a competitive team at the very top. EG winning league titles and serious stab at CL
Good thoughtful post.

I like the 3-5-2 thing we've seen in the last game where it appeared well-suited to kill-off teams forced to look for a goal, on the counter. As a situational, tactical change later on, it makes a lot of sense to me. I'm just not sure who we're so inferior to that we'd want to start with this formation. Maybe City? Even still I thnk I'd rather have Kulu than an extra CM.

I'd think we're better off just running our very solid 3-4-3 against RM, Barca, Bayern, PSG- whoever- and focus on improving attacking play there, rather than spending time adapting to too many corner-case situations.

The point is that with 5 subs Conte can flex between multiple formations and personnel depending on the match situation. There's plenty of options available to him, he just needs to have the courage to change it!

To be honest… I think there are a lot of ego problem with Conte and his tactical choices reflected that.

1) it’s clear that Richarlison (tgr with Perisic) are the players he wanted to buy.

2) he wanted to ensure that his choice is correct (at least to the bosses) and buying Richarlison is not a waste of money.

3) Son -Kane is a very reliable partnership which yields a lot of goals. Hence, in order not to beak up this partnership, Richarlison has to play on the right, which means a 5-2-3 formation.

4) initially, the results comes out way despite having issues to midfield problems (more likely, our opponent learnt from Tuchel on how to stifle and overload our midfield.

5) however, the loss in Lisboa adds pressure to Conte.

6) against Leicester, He dropped Son and yet, the performance isn’t there as well.

6) changing to a 5-3-2 changed the Leicester game and this is definitely a formation we should play more often.

7) the problem now is, can Conte keeps his ego in check? Recognise that at this moment, his favoured 5-2-3 or 3-2-2-3 or whatever was too static and easy for opponent to play against…

Conte needs to swallow his pride and admit that he made a mistakes in placing priority on buying Richarlison to play in a wide position. (This made our midfield rather weak when opponent overload us).

8) main men in our attack should still be son and Kane and Richarlison is just a backup. Can Conte do that? That’s a big ask

I wonder how many more games are we going to be dominated and then lose before we give up this 3-4-3 or 5–2- 3 formation…

Our wingbacks aren’t good enough to play the way he wants… yet

I wonder how many more games are we going to be dominated and then lose before we give up this 3-4-3 or 5–2- 3 formation…

Our wingbacks aren’t good enough to play the way he wants… yet
He won a league with Victor Moses and Marcus Alonso as wing-backs. They're not that great and surely we can find a couple of players of that level or above. The lad Udogie might be one.

I don't think our defenders ability comes anywhere near our attackers ability so for me it make senses to play to your strengths and there's a couple of back 4 formations that I think would suit this side better

Hugo
Doherty Romero Sanchez/Dier sess/perisic
Bentancur
Hojbjerg bissouma
Kulu kane Son/Richarlison

This utilises hojbjerg to be a bit further and show for the ball from bentancur instead of receiving where bentancur is and not being able to turn and get us on the front foot and getting him pressing and winning the ball higher up the pitch. It also allows bissouma to be the box to box midfielder he is and transition us from defence to attack. Keep the full backs more Conservative and allow the wide players a bit more freedom up top and allow us to put the opposition on the back foot and get them worrying about us getting in behind.

The next formation has defensive stability in front of the back 4 but has more of our attacking players on the pitch. Again full backs are a bit more Conservative but you don't need so much attacking from the full backs when you allow the attackers to do the attacking.

Hugo
Emerson Romero sanchez Davies
Skipp bentancur

Kane
Kulu Richarlison Son

I think skipp is better suited to being in this 2 than hojbjerg. He's more tactically aware and better at getting the ball through to attacking players. It has all our attacking threat on the pitch kane can drift and roam but we still have that threat through the middle from Richarlison.

That's my take anyway I think attacking philosophy is the best way forward for this current squad.

The point is that with 5 subs Conte can flex between multiple formations and personnel depending on the match situation. There's plenty of options available to him, he just needs to have the courage to change it!
This is the point I was trying to make along with the fact Conte seems to be making a square peg fit in a round hole. I just don’t think we have the best players for the formation he typically wants to use. Emerson provides so little going forward that he almost voids the RWB position so we’re completely lob sided and aren’t as attacking as we could be. Bring in a really good RWB and we would be much better but in the interim, I think the formation needs to be altered.

Depends on the opposition setup - 352 is said to always be beaten by 433
Agreed. 3-5-2 will be a good weapon against teams that like to have possession as well since we won't be as overrun in midfield (once the midfielders get in sync in the formation, there were some moments yesterday where they didn't seem to know who was supposed to do what).

Back
Top Bottom