Bilbao v Sporting

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

with our current noob of a manager we'd be 10th now... with a manager who knew how to manage a full squad, better off I reckon

It's true, if we play a strong side in the EL games, perhaps the domestic form will suffer. I'd honestly prefer to win the EL next year and come eighth in the league at home, than come fourth in the league but win fuck all again. The group games are wank but once we get through that it will be more exciting.

The Europa League (I hate that name) needs restructuring. It can't take a half season of matches, 19 to win the thing, and it requires a greater reward. I read somewhere that it actually costs money to take part....I love nothing more than to see us compete at the highest level and for me, Europe is that...Bilbao, Athletico and Valencia are teams I want us to play. I appreciate the fact it takes a lot out of the players but to win it would be brilliant.

Agree. EL could be revitalised if it was restructured and given a greater reward at the end. Personally, I'd like to see:

1) amount of CL places reduced
2) a CL place given to the winners of EL
3) scrapping the utterly ridiculous rule that teams not good enough for CL get a second bite of the cherry and drop into EL
4) maybe make it a straight two-legged knockout all the way.

Watching the EL games last night it hit me how much more important as a fan it is to win trophies. Sure, finishing 4th is better for Spurs the business and maybe our long-term prospects (provided we actually invest the extra revenue in some decent fucking transfers) but I'd much rather have won the EL or FA Cup this year than finish in the top 4.

Big Les Wade said:
Last night I was reminded how good the old UEFA cup was. When it was the form teams of Europe, not just the big names

Indeed. The UEFA Cup was much harder to win than the old European Cup because you were often playing the best, form teams of that year who were often better than the previous league winners. I liked the puritiy of the old European Cup too.

But, like everything in life, money rules all, screw the fans and mess up great competitions to boost revenue. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom