Brighton vs Tottenham Hotspur (A) - Thursday 28th December 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And this is an example of the binary positions we as fans find ourselves in post defeat.

I haven’t disagreed with the above post because some of it is true. However, as supporters (some of us paying a lot of money to watch the team) we should be able to have reasoned debates on where the team is going wrong.

Last night we were wide open from long balls (not something you associate with Brighton) because they saw that without a CB in the side they were in business. The manager picks the team doesn’t he? Likewise, 1-0 up at Wolves on 90 mins and we should’ve hit king channel balls behind their defence (with half a side out we’d done very well to be winning).

Other games, such as Villa and West Ham it wasn’t the set up, balance or tactics that hurt us but poor finishing - which the manager can’t do much about in-game…

We ALL agree that our fit first XI would be flying now and would arguably not have dropped anywhere near the points we have.

The way I’m reading the posts following last night (& other defeats) isn’t as some kind of attack on Ange but the general frustration associated with being a fan, having seen points slip through the team’s fingers.

Let’s hope the manager is backed properly (pigs flying) in January and the injury list drastically shortens.

For the record (AGAIN) - I love the bold way we’ve approached the season. I’ve been more entertained in half a season as I was in 3 or 4 by Jose/Nuno/Conte. Just frustrated that we haven’t had the nous and quality to take points when they were on offer.

(Won’t mention Chelsea again, even though I’m scarred by the whole debacle 😬😡)
Thing is would we kept the same 11 every game if all fit? Ange said we were leggy as some of the players have had to play a few consecutive games.

Well, two of them gave away dumb penalties last night and the front 4 botched every chance of a break-away from 15min - 70min. Combined with Brighton scoring a worldie for their 3rd; blaming the CBs is just lazy opportunism..... Punching down on the easy target.
Our starting forwards did not trouble the scorers. Veliz and Davies scored.

Look on the positive side….When we have everybody back and some additions we still have a few months left with just the League and hopefully the FA Cup. City and Woolwich also have Champions League and Liverpool surely will go all the way in the dreaded Thursday night Europa League.

What is half price hardback about , is it a thriller?

Its part of a trilogy, I love an epic historical novel, gets me away from the modern day shit we all have to deal with lol

Like watching Spurs lol

I had to pay £700 for my cat to have an operation to remove six teeth today

Sat down to watch the game to relax

That felt more painful 😂
Couldn't you have just punched your cat in the face? Save £700 and release some frustration, win-win! :/

EDIT: Joke obvs (as one person seems to have taken this seriously and disagreed 😂 ).

Last edited:
The writing has been on the wall for this type of result. We were really poor the last 30 minutes against Everton, they quite literally walked through us time after time. We also hung on for dear life against Forest, granted with ten men, but still fortunate to not concede multiple goals.

We allow an absurd amount of opportunities. Our expected goals against surely must be bottom half. We have no ability to stifle teams defensively. We’re either on the front foot or allowing a shot on target. There’s no in between.

All that said, you’d hope it’s mostly due to injuries and suspensions, but I’m concerned it’ll catch up to us in a bad way the next couple months.

It's down to injuries and lack of personnel, not the style or the tactics.

His teams are setup to control and defend whilst in possession so even when we have the ball we are keeping the ball from the opposition, just like how City do it and Barca did it under Pep, the problem is that we don't have the personnel so games end up as Basketball matches or at worst we end up being suffocated because we can't keep the ball.

The only alternative is to change it to a low block and counter tactic which is pointless because that's not Ange's style and we will never learn as a team if we are playing a style we aren't trying to implement going forwards and we will never ship the players out the club that need to be shipped out by playing to their strengths.

This is season 1 after 1 Transfer window, results and performances like this should just be expected, I just think that some fans have this idea that we are challenging for the league because we had an excellent start to the season and since the squad has been tested haven't re-set their expectations. The reason why we were up there initially was because our rebuild has been going great and our recruitment been excellent but everyone knew our squad was weak before the season started so it should come as no surprise why we are struggling especially with the kind of players we have missing.

Back
Top Bottom