"British Soccer is Trendy"

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do the Americans understand the rivalry and the tribalism of supporting a team?

the reason I ask is that on a family holiday to Florida a couple of years ago I got chatting to an American who supported Woolwich, he engaged with me as my boy had a Spurs shirt on....and his opening line was ' hey another London football supporter..........I was polite and he knew his football but I could not bear to call him a fucking gooner cunt and kick him in the shins as he was a nice guy!!!

Funny thing is a few days later, we are at a queue in disney and there are a couple of scousers in front of us, the scouse dad turns round, looks at my boy ( who was 7 at the time) and says ' Spurs fan eh la'

My boys turns round and says ' Yeah and your a bin dipper.........................'

I was trying not to piss myself laughing as my ex tried to calm the scousers down........jesus did i get some ear ache for that one.....the usual questioning about where here learned that........

Most of the bars I've been to in Chicago to go and watch games are home to one of the different supporter's groups, and I can have a decent conversation with most of them with a few exceptions. The absolute worst though, by far, are the Liverpool fans. To my mind, the absolute lowest of the low for American soccer fans are the Liverpool ones. Know nothing, cocky jerkoffs.
Here are my observations from the different supporters groups in Nashville:

Woolwich = frat bros and know-nothings. no use trying to talk footy with these people
Chelsea = hipsters and rednecks. like to give a lot of shit, but don't know a lot
Liverpool = sketchy skinheads, scumbags, weird anglophiles, and shittalkers. I steer clear
Man U = actually ok. I've had many good conversations with these guys
Everton = only a couple, but normal guys that know their stuff
Man City = lol. there are only a few and they are clueless

We used to share a pub with all of these clubs (have our own now) and they generally view us as the drunk and loud guys that sing even when we lose and celebrate wins against the likes of Swansea. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Also, while there are for sure a bunch of Americans that will glom on to teams, seek validation from Brits, get bored when they don't and move on in a few years, there are also ones that wake up at 4:00am and drive to a bar to watch Spurs take on Fulham in a somewhat meaningless game in April and not care one bit what other's think of them.

is it wrong to want to punch that girl dead in her face? Must reek of plastic in that "pub". nauseating! No ones drinking ffs
17JPPREMIER1-articleLarge.jpg

You can tell she has no idea what's going on.

I have absolutely no justification for what I'm about to say, and I'm quite drunk at the minute. BUT.
I can imagine, that, at least in certain parts of america. Tottenham is about, the maximum level of team you can support, before you find proper cunts for fans.
For example, anyone that CHOOSES to support city or chelsea is most likely just suckered in by the money and success of recent times. Woolwich the justification is "Yeah they're one of the most successful premier league teams," etc etc, and... well, United? Only a proper glory hunter would choose united.
But us? What is there to make anyone choose us ? some American players? So we're Yank sympathisers. Thats about it. Therefore anyone picking us, is judging on gut instinct.

You're probably in a better position in some ways. If it became a massive thing over there the tv contracts for showing prem games might get all messed up like they are over here. You end up having to subscribe to multiple providers to see all the games.

The best thing that's happened in years has been NBC. Fox Sports was absolutely awful. At least now all of the games are televised. Streaming games is for the fucking birds.

football has literally millions of supporters in the US. If the author would bother going to Sunset Park, then it would be possible to see myriad bootleg shops selling fake Chicharito Man U shirts.

But since it's an NYT style piece, they have to find a bunch of obnoxious rich people who like anything for exactly the same reason: they're obnoxious rich people.

OTOH, you all are fools for clicking on a link that has "nytimes" and "fashion" in the url.

I genuinely dont understand how and/or why americans, asians etc do this whole "Choosing" a british team etc. The only reason i can think of is some sort of innate tribe shit. Needing to belong.

We choose the Premiership because it's played at a high level, reasonably available on TV, and the media coverage is in English. As for choosing a particular club, I did it so I would have a rooting interest in the sport, thereby making it more fun to watch. I went through a rather elaborate selection process and in the end it came down to Spurs or Woolwich. Really dodged a bullet there. Or a cannon ball...

Of course, I had no idea at first whether my arbitrary rooting interest would "take" and develop into something real. For whatever reason, though, I became a die-hard supporter from the start. In my first season I had as much or more passion for Spurs as I do for American teams I've been following all my life. My wife is astonished by it. I guess it was a good fit.

"Tottenham Hotspur The Spurs have become a trendy choice for many young American Jews because of English supporters’ public embrace of the team’s long ties to London’s Jewish community. Famous fans: Kenneth Branagh, Jude Law."

:ledley:

It makes perfect sense why the uneducated fan picks up on Woolwich.

1) Their home kit this year has red (ew) white and blue.

2) Their badge is a cannon...we like cannons.

Ah well , if people want to discover a sport, start to love it and follow it - who am i to start hating on them for it. Maybe its a fashionable thing to do but that doesnt mean some of these people will turn into real football fans that will absolutely love the game and the club they 'chose'.

We, europeans are pretty snobby about our football too - there's a whole list of stuff that you can or cant do, whats cool, whats to be looked down upon and so on

Just love the game and hope it will love you back i suppose

ps it hates all of us though.

Back
Top Bottom