Building the best squad - and we need what?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know everyone knows we need to get the forward line right but the areas we struggled the most when players were injured or tired were:

CB (50% sorted with Dragusin)
FB - we need cover both sides even if VDV an option at LB
Sarr (I get why Gallagher is on the cards now)
Maddison (we really need creativity to take the load off him)

That plus the forwards is ALOT of work to be done this summer.

I think players like Gray that cover 6 and RB and a LCB that can miraculously play LB will be the most important pick ups for squad depth

We need to spend like 130m on two quality strikers. Thats the reality.

We also need 1 or two proper wingers and another creative mid.

No more defenders or wingbacks

We should probably move son and Kulusevski on.

Feel like we kinda have depth at most positions, we just don't have the top draw players / gamebreakers. Winger / AM / Striker, doesn't matter where, if a Son or Maddison of this season (whoever you think was our top attacking player in 23/24) would be considered our 3rd best attacking player next year, then that'd be a success / really what we need.

On D, is it no good to say CBs are covered with Romero / VDV / Dragusin / Davies? For FBs, how are Reguilon / Spence doing and can they be cover options ? Feel like we had our starters but it was painful when they got hurt.

We need to spend like 130m on two quality strikers. Thats the reality.

We also need 1 or two proper wingers and another creative mid.

No more defenders or wingbacks

We should probably move son and Kulusevski on.
We scored our joint 2nd most goals since 1985-86. We conceded more goals than we ever have in a 38 match season.

Just don't understand why people think our problem is blantantly the attack - other than new attacking players are exciting to think about. We need to concede less - if our defense had been even close to as effective as its been in the past 3 seasons, nevermind peak Poch, we'd have been right in the thick of it.

We scored our joint 2nd most goals since 1985-86. We conceded more goals than we ever have in a 38 match season.

Just don't understand why people think our problem is blantantly the attack - other than new attacking players are exciting to think about. We need to concede less - if our defense had been even close to as effective as its been in the past 3 seasons, nevermind peak Poch, we'd have been right in the thick of it.
Our forward players constantly give the ball away cheaply and are a key component of our defensive frailties this season

And they are in no way good enough in an attacking sense to justify this

If you keep the ball better when it goes up front then teams counter you a lot less meaning we concede a lot less. We get better front players who don’t give the ball away constantly and we’ll win more. Also defend better at set pieces. Fix those two issues and we will be a lot closer to the top and not challenging for just 4th or 5th.

A solid striker with presence upfront (keep the Brazilian pigeon for competition but I doubt his future here)

A creative winger a la Bernardo Silva (maybe Eze can/does play in this role?)

A good dribbling winger (Olise?)

Another LB and RB (not just “backups”)

Total: ~ 200m

Last edited:
Top striker x 2. Back up to royal and porro. Keeper to challenge vicario. Defensive midfielder (think it will be ederson from atalanta), a number 10 to challenge maddison (eze), a pacey very tricky winger.

If you keep the ball better when it goes up front then teams counter you a lot less meaning we concede a lot less. We get better front players who don’t give the ball away constantly and we’ll win more. Also defend better at set pieces. Fix those two issues and we will be a lot closer to the top and not challenging for just 4th or 5th.
We conceded 20 more goals than we should have, than we recently have. 50% increase over recent seasons. Naive to lay that at the feet of our attackers. Our defense needs work. Our strategy needs work.

We do not know what the budget is but it will be a lot higher if we can shift some of our players that went on loan this year and are not wanted.
We need quality and the higher transfer fee is not a guarantee of quality. However for a striker spending under 50m will not improve the team. Not sure about Solomon but Werner might b3 cheap and will beat players but his shooting is not good enough. We need 2 players who can play up front and Son should not be one of them. If Richie stays then we need another but if he goes we need 2. Do not know if the young Swede will go straight in the team but either way we need a back up to Maddison.
We need back up for both FB’s and another CB.

Now that is 5 plus players but not all would be starters I now have more confidence about getting the right players with the Management set up. A successful transfer window may not include all of those positions but a top class finisher to replace Kane is a must.

We really need another CB. We missed out on so many of them in the last window plus another back up striker.
That's Phillips. We already have 3 good CB's, give opportunities for the youngsters, Phillips just returned from a very good loan spell and a 4th choice CB won't probably play a lot also.

We conceded 20 more goals than we should have, than we recently have. 50% increase over recent seasons. Naive to lay that at the feet of our attackers. Our defense needs work. Our strategy needs work.
Definitely not just blaming our front players as there’s issues with inverted full backs not being in natural defensive positions and midfielders not recovering quick enough to get back into defensive positions. This problem is because we play a high risk game and at this moment in time I don’t think our front players are good enough to play it. And by that I mean being able to keep the ball and linking the play rather than losing it and we get caught out of position. If we fix that we will score more and concede less.

I hope we invest on quality, because the team is crowded with players that can't contribute. Get one very good striker and one very good AM and I think we will see things change a lot. Also we have some promising players returning, like Devine, Phillips, Bergvall, Parrott also had a good spell in Netherlands and can be integrated. Give the boys a chance and bring qualitiy signs, no point in buying players like Royal and Hojbjerg anymore.

Eze is absolutely top of my list for a midfielder. I think he can play on the left or as a 10 or just a free roam. I'd absolutely take Toney for the right money I think he's a great striker to play off of. And I'd happily take olise for the right wing.

Wharton looks excellent but he strikes me as more of an 8 than a 6. Or at least the defensively solid 6 that we are crying out for.
Good player but he benefits from playing in a double pivot in front of a back three, which gives you much more protection as we saw with Hojbjerg, Skipp and Bentancur last season.

A single pivot #6 in front of a back 4 is a different kettle of fish; so much responsibility both in ball progression and defending. You have to be athletic, a dog in the tackle, great receiving back to goal, awareness, touch, passing, good long ball. Hardest position in football bar none .

Good all rounders are like unicorns; right now it's Rodri in a category of his own at the top, every other #6 in the game involves some sort of trade off.

Wharton is a talent no doubt but do I think he would have come in at Spurs and immediately made that role his own? Not sure. And we need the finished article if we're to progress.

That's Phillips. We already have 3 good CB's, give opportunities for the youngsters, Phillips just returned from a very good loan spell and a 4th choice CB won't probably play a lot also.
Phillips needs another loan. His on the ball ability isn't good enough yet for Spurs and a year on the bench will do nothing for his development.

Good player but he benefits from playing in a double pivot in front of a back three, which gives you much more protection as we saw with Hojbjerg, Skipp and Bentancur last season.

A single pivot #6 in front of a back 4 is a different kettle of fish; so much responsibility both in ball progression and defending. You have to be athletic, a dog in the tackle, great receiving back to goal, awareness, touch, passing, good long ball. Hardest position in football bar none .

Good all rounders are like unicorns; right now it's Rodri in a category of his own at the top, every other #6 in the game involves some sort of trade off.

Wharton is a talent no doubt but do I think he would have come in at Spurs and immediately made that role his own? Not sure. And we need the finished article if we're to progress.

Your description of the remit is good. Your notion that Bentancursomehow fits that description better than Bissouma is massively flawed, especially from someone who advises others use their eyes better.

Back
Top Bottom