Capital One Cup; Home to Woolwich..

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure if this has been posted yet, some great words from Poch:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/22/tottenham-Woolwich-capital-one-cup-memories

Mauricio Pochettino wanted it to hurt and it did. His Tottenham Hotspur team had just lost the Capital One Cup final to Chelsea last March and his players probably wanted to run off the Wembley pitch and keep running. But Pochettino made them gather to watch as, one by one, Chelsea’s triumphant players hoisted the trophy skywards.

“It is important to show respect,” Pochettino said. “But it is also important, after you lose, to stay and see the trophy that you had the possibility to win. This is a feeling that you don’t want to repeat. You can always learn from defeat. This was a good lesson for us.”

Tottenham learned from the lows of what was a transitional season last time out but, equally, they drew strength from the highs and it was one of those that Pochettino could feel more at ease in highlighting as he prepared for Wednesday night’s return to the Capital One Cup, in which his team face Woolwich at White Hart Lane.

The previous home game against their local rivals finished in a 2-1 win, a shot in the arm for Pochettino’s tenure which was marked by Harry Kane’s double, and the manager knows that a repeat performance would galvanise the club’s season.

It has been a curious start at White Hart Lane, in which performances have not been swashbuckling and there was disquiet after the transfer window closed with no out-and-out striker signed to support Kane.

But Pochettino’s team have generated a bit of momentum, with back-to-back 1-0 wins over Sunderland and Crystal Palace, either side of the 3-1 Europa League victory over Qarabag, and Woolwich’s visit seems like a potentially defining moment.

“This means more than going into the next round of the Capital One Cup, or three points in the league – it has a massive effect,” Pochettino said. “It is the derby. It was important to win this game last season – for the players and for the belief in the philosophy. And it’s very important to win it again. You beat Woolwich and it’s a big impact.

After, we would need to follow it [up]. We play Manchester City on Saturday, Monaco next Thursday and Swansea on the Sunday. But it’s true that this is special. You can feel it in the changing room and in the training sessions.”

For Pochettino and Arsène Wenger, the Woolwich manager, there are difficult questions that relate to rotation and the degree of it. Wenger will make at least two changes, with Santi Cazorla suspended after his red card in the 2-0 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday and Francis Coquelin injured, but more are anticipated.

Pochettino will rest Toby Alderweireld, as the centre-half has played every minute of the season so far – he is the only Tottenham player to have done so – and he is considering changes in all departments.

Son Heung-min, the attacker signed from Bayer Leverkusen in the summer, has made a flying start to his Tottenham career, injecting pace and tempo and impressing with his versatility, but, with Christian Eriksen back to fitness, he is not certain to start. Kieran Trippier and Danny Rose are expected to be selected in the full-back positions.

Woolwich arrive after defeats at Dinamo Zagreb in the Champions League and Chelsea. There have been issues over their discipline in both matches, as well as their concentration on set pieces, and it is stating the obvious to say that Wenger needs a result. The last time Woolwich lost three times in a row was in April 2010.

“Every single game that you play you want to win but especially this one,” Wenger said. “It is a bit more special because it’s always a big meaning. We want to get back into winning habits and that’s why the momentum is even more important for us.”

Pochettino swerved the question about whether it might be a good time to play Woolwich but he made it clear that he wanted to challenge them for supremacy in north London. “We are a different club but it’s true that Tottenham need to be ambitious, to win a trophy in the next few years and to stay at the top of the league,” Pochettino said. “We have massive, massive potential to become bigger than we are now.”

Last edited:
Feel for you mate, a friend had crippling anxiety issues and basically had to stop watching football because he couldn't handle the stress. Was more than likely down to the quarter of skunk he would get through a day, plus he was a gooner so i wasn't that sympathetic. Hope you have a good one though!!
Cheers mate. I'm the complete opposite though, got spiked on MDMA at a wedding and since then weed, and beer to a lesser extent, seems to be the only thing to keep things all in check. Thus, it'll be a slow, plodding walk from Seven Sisters for me this eve. Let's hope the boys are victorious and a wave of happiness carries me back after the match has finished. COYS!

If we'd thought this through we'd have kept Ade on for tonight, we could then have sent him on to kick the shit out of them then released him at the final whistle. :adesalute:

I can't sleep,
you know your having a good day when the hardest decision that you'll have to make is whether to go to sleep and wake early or pull an all nighter and stay up

decisions, decisions, decisions...

My boss is a West Ham fan.

The type that thinks they will qualify for champions league and the new Stadium will sky rocket them to Real Madrid's level.

Not once has be been to watch a match despite originally being from Essex.

I have had a joyous morning calling him a deluded cunt. (Working my notice so I can say what I like).

He has gone to work elsewhere.

Fuck it Mate, there's another day tomorrow.. This is NLD day.. Should be a Bank Holiday anyway.

Yeah you're right. I reckon if I just sit here looking 'busy' and doing the bare minimum, i.e work that comes to me, not work I have to go through my emails for...I'll be alright :)

By that I mean following the Scotland vs japan game on bbc live text and going for half hourly shits

My boss is a West Ham fan.

The type that thinks they will qualify for champions league and the new Stadium will sky rocket them to Real Madrid's level.

Not once has be been to watch a match despite originally being from Essex.

I have had a joyous morning calling him a deluded cunt. (Working my notice so I can say what I like).

He has gone to work elsewhere.
Do you work for a marijuana dealer???

Probably was thinking about all the entertainment that we'd miss out on without Fat Robbie about to interview all the gibbering wrecks after the game.

#tookonefortheteam

That is fair enough I guess. I wanted to rip his eyeballs out and I was only watching from home. Can't wait to get to the lane now, so much hate brewing up.

Hearing conflicting reports ranging from "We're going full strength and ripping them a new one" ... to "expect 9+ changes, 'cos Poch trusts Trippier and Fazio not to fuck up when we need them not to!" ... I assume the actual line-up will be somewhere in between!!!!

Back
Top Bottom