Central midfielders for next season poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you like to see done with our central midfielders for next season?

• HUDDLESTONE - 1st choice central midfielder

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • HUDDLESTONE - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 55 84.6%
  • HUDDLESTONE - Sell

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • MODRIC - 1st choice central midfielder

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • MODRIC - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MODRIC - Sell

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • JENAS - 1st choice central midfielder

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • JENAS - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • JENAS - Sell

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • CARROLL - 1st choice central midfielder

• CARROLL - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • CARROLL - Loan

Votes: 52 80.0%
  • CARROLL - Sell

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • PARKER - 1st choice central midfielder

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • PARKER - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • PARKER - Sell

• SANDRO - 1st choice central midfielder

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • SANDRO - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • SANDRO - Sell

• LIVERMORE - 1st choice central midfielder

• LIVERMORE - Keep as squad/backup player

Votes: 60 92.3%
  • LIVERMORE - Sell

• KRANCJAR/PIENAAR - Should be considered for central midfield when needed

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Buy one or more new first choice central midfielder

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • Buy one or more new squad/backup central midfielder

Votes: 22 33.8%

• Total voters

zin

Supporter
Contract Expiry
-----------------

Tom Huddlestone - 2015
Scott Parker - 2015
Jermaine Jenas - 2014
Luka Modric - 2014
Jake Livermore - 2016
Sandro Raniere - 2016
Thomas Carroll - 2016

I've excluded Massimo Luongo, Jake Nicholson and Giancarlo Gallifuoco as they have not gone out on loan this season so should not be considered for the first team just yet.

This poll is also not for attacking midfielders / forwards such as VDV, Dos Santos, Falque, Bostock, Parrett, Ceballos, Pritchard, Mason or Waller-Lassen. I'll include some of them in a more attacking poll with strikers.

I've not differentiated between central midfielders (e.g. Modric/Huddlestone) and defensive midfielders (e.g. Parker/Sandro) as both can be mixed and matched.

I think Parker has another good year left in him yet, but the way i'd sort the midfield would be to rotate Huddlestone, Sandro, and Parker. Parker and Huddlestone give a bit more defensively than Sandro, but if we're playing a team where we can afford to be slacker at the back then Sandro should 100% be playing (probably alongside a defensive-minded player like Parker).

Otherwise I could see him partnering Modric for utter devastation.

I wonder how much Sandro's recent performance against Blackburn is the reason behind his higher marks.

It helps him, but Sandro's been a beast for a long time. Deserves more starts so we don't lose him. Even rotation between him and Parker, imo.

I wanna keep THuddles but I don't see him getting many games. Is he a deep lying playmaker or is he a holding midfielder? Is he too slow for our team, now?

Much as I love THuddles I've been blown away by Livermore every time he's played, and I don't think we need both of them.

VirginiaSpur said:
It helps him, but Sandro's been a beast for a long time. Deserves more starts so we don't lose him. Even rotation between him and Parker, imo.

I wanna keep THuddles but I don't see him getting many games. Is he a deep lying playmaker or is he a holding midfielder? Is he too slow for our team, now?

Much as I love THuddles I've been blown away by Livermore every time he's played, and I don't think we need both of them.

Think Sandro has been criminally underused. For someone with an apparant reputation for giving youth a chance, Redknapp has largely stuck by the old guard and not given the under 22's a sniff ( Livermore aside).

Disagree about Huddlestone, he's a different league to Jake, and is definitely a deep lying playmaker. If it was the 70's he'd be the World's best sweeper, but that position went out with hostess trolleys.

Not saying he isn't better than Jake. The question is however, is Huddlestone too good to be 4th string CM behind Modric, Parker, and Sandro?

We all know that Harry doesn't rotate until injuries force his hand, and Huddlestone has lost the entire season. No guarantee that he'll find his game again in the limited starts he'll be allowed, and then there's the question of whether we would prefer someone who's more mobile.

Just saying, Livermore hasn't had a bad game all year. He's probably my player of the season, no joke. Pure team player, isn't a diva or anything pushing for more starts or higher wages. The kid just goes out, slots into CM, RM, DM, CB, RB, doesn't try any fancy shit, plays humble football, and fucking loves the club. What more could you ask for in a youngster?

Wanted to reach through the speakers and strangle tehTrunk earlier in the season when he was negative on Livermore.

I'll keep both, though, because there are going to be injuries, and Parker (beastly though he is) isn't getting any younger.

One thing is for sure, I don't think we need new blood in center midfield. Striker? Yes, we need at least one. Right winger? Yes. Goalkeeper? Yes. Center Back? Probably, even though Caulker is coming in.

But CM is pretty well sorted.

One of the main problems with Rednapp staying. Thudd will have to go, surely.

FWIW I'd like to see Sandro/Thudd playing together but of course, I can't say I don't want Parker plaing either.

If only there were some way of rotating these players.

S.L.R said:
If only there were some way of rotating these players.
Wb5n8.jpg

Abbey Yid said:
I think Parker has another good year left in him yet, but the way i'd sort the midfield would be to rotate Huddlestone, Sandro, and Parker. Parker and Huddlestone give a bit more defensively than Sandro, but if we're playing a team where we can afford to be slacker at the back then Sandro should 100% be playing (probably alongside a defensive-minded player like Parker).

:sandro:

SanDiegoYiddo said:
Abbey Yid said:

:sandro:
I'm not saying Sandro is weak defensive per sé, just that he has the tendency to push forward more than Hudd/Parker, which can leave us exposed on the counter.

Parker literally sits in front of the defence, and when he wins the ball he passes it rather than running forward. Hudd does the same but instead of a 5yd pass he'll spray one 30yds down the wing. Sandro seems more inclined to drive forward (not necessarily a bad thing). And I guess I should add, this is my opinion!

I was under the impression that Parker has gotten a bit more flack recently for trying to do that same thing, contributing to his fitness problems.

Why the insistence on 'omg Huddlestone won't fit now coz of Livermore'.

As previously stated, Huddlestone has something that none of the others on the list have.

We've seen vs the likes of Bolton/Stoke at WHL when teams come to defend, it's very often a Two Tonne Tommy rocket or killer ball that proves decisive.

We're spoilt in that we have such a varied array of midfield talent, and should not look at putting them against one another in an arbitrary black and white sense as such and realise that different players will suit games against different teams.

You may find a stat to prove me wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that United have one of the most highly rotated midfields in the league.

Unfortunately we don't know how to rotate, we'll just play the same game against everyone and bring JD on in the last seconds to have a few blasts.

I personally like the look of Dembele at Fulham. He's actually started playing central midfield in the last month or two and has looked really good there. I can't imagine he'll be more than £8-10m and I think it would be a good deal if Modric wants to leave. He could also play in the VDV position or wide too.

EssexYid said:
I personally like the look of Dembele at Fulham. He's actually started playing central midfield in the last month or two and has looked really good there. I can't imagine he'll be more than £8-10m and I think it would be a good deal if Modric wants to leave. He could also play in the VDV position or wide too.

I came on here to say exactly the same thing , he is really growing in his CM role , problem is ... he lacks scoring ability. And you are wrong on the price though , they are looking at 15 million for him (they payed about 5-7 few years back)

The best option is to give Jenas a lobotomy and insert the brain of scholes in him.

Someone mentioned Fellaini , he is going to Chelsea or Real : you heard it here first :gio:

Belgian Spur said:
EssexYid said:

I came on here to say exactly the same thing , he is really growing in his CM role , problem is ... he lacks scoring ability. And you are wrong on the price though , they are looking at 15 million for him (they payed about 5-7 few years back)

Well our current central midfielder lacks scoring ability too and we could flog him for £40m if we so wished.

Fulham may be looking for £15m, but if we offered £10m, and Dembele gets wind of it, I'm betting we can get him for less than £15m.

Back
Top Bottom