Chairman's Message

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair comments, but we have to be one of the worst sets of home fans these days.(Bar the marvellous 1882 people)
Tbf I think the poor home fans thing is true of the Premiership in general not just Spurs. Our home support is bad, I think this season just gone was the worst it's ever been, but go to away games and you'll find most of the other teams home fans are the same. Average when the team is doing well, almost silent if they're losing.

He's not unsackable. But he has a very good reputation in the game, has a greater CV with no failures and will have the direct backing of some of the squad who have played under him.

Personally I think this means that if there is a dip in form there is the potential for more support from within and a greater belief that he can claw it back - therefore he would likely be given more time than Poch, who has a so-so record at Espanyol and will not be likely to have internal supporters. With many fans wanting the club to give the new name time, it's surely more desirable for us to have the potentially more secure candidate?
So does Harry. So did Hoddle. And Graham. Santini. Ramos. AVB. We've sacked all kinds of managers, English, foreign, experienced, inexperienced, some with league trophies, unbeaten seasons, European honours, excellent playing careers. None of that matters when the results aren't going our way. AVB was one of the most coveted young managers in Europe, even after the Chelsea failing. Even now he's being linked with Barcelona. Our results weren't even bad under him, just a few select games got him the boot.

I certainly wouldn't put FdB at the top of our list of managers over the ENIC reign in terms of his CV - certainly not management-wise anyway. His achievements in the Dutch league are exceptional, but that's a different kettle of fish - even worlds apart from the Prem. Poch has shown he can deliver football in this league, which does count for something, even if he has no silverware to show for it.

Just to reiterate, I'd rather have Fdb than Poch, but not sure he is more qualified for the job than managers we've had in the past.

Tbf I think the poor home fans thing is true of the Premiership in general not just Spurs. Our home support is bad, I think this season just gone was the worst it's ever been, but go to away games and you'll find most of the other teams home fans are the same. Average when the team is doing well, almost silent if they're losing.
I take your point, and as I haven't been to an away for years, I can't realistically argue with you.

What I can say, from the TV, is that it seems to me Palace are way better than us, Liverpool and Everton are better than us (Everton mainly for getting at the oppo and the ref), Stoke (ditto Everton)

I take your point, and as I haven't been to an away for years, I can't realistically argue with you.

What I can say, from the TV, is that it seems to me Palace are way better than us, Liverpool and Everton are better than us (Everton mainly for getting at the oppo and the ref), Stoke (ditto Everton)
Yeah...Palace are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, in terms of home support. Stoke are pretty good too, I'd say they are definitely better than us. The times I have been to Liverpool and Everton they have both been very quiet unless they were winning, and we outsung them easily even though we lost all those games. But Liverpool have been having their best season in a long time (Everton too, in fact) so I'd imagine this season their home support was generally better than ours. TV doesn't always tell the truth though, it depends where the microphones are.

Yeah...Palace are head and shoulders above the rest of the league, in terms of home support. Stoke are pretty good too, I'd say they are definitely better than us. The times I have been to Liverpool and Everton they have both been very quiet unless they were winning, and we outsung them easily even though we lost all those games. But Liverpool have been having their best season in a long time (Everton too, in fact) so I'd imagine this season their home support was generally better than ours. TV doesn't always tell the truth though, it depends where the microphones are.
Yep, I'm wary of judging from TV. But the Kop looked and sounded awesome with their flags and 'You'll Never ...' before they played us. Everton always give the oppo and officials gip. Haven't been there for over 40 years, but they were fearsome back then.

Back
Top Bottom