Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's astonsishingly awful. So if you win it, you're massively more likely to be in it and win it again?

A sorry state of affairs but unsurprising, unfortunately.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

That's astonsishingly awful. So if you win it, you're massively more likely to be in it and win it again?

A sorry state of affairs but unsurprising, unfortunately.
I seem to remember UEFA talking about adding in a component to the coefficient calculation that recognises "historical stature and merit" or something like that. Marketed as an "evolution" of their rules. All clearly just a way of helping out the likes of MU, AC Milan, Liverpool etc.

The actual calculation doesn't seem to be confirmed yet, just the principle. But if it makes things harder for moneybags teams with no history I don't think it's necessarily a horrible idea.

I seem to remember UEFA talking about adding in a component to the coefficient calculation that recognises "historical stature and merit" or something like that. Marketed as an "evolution" of their rules. All clearly just a way of helping out the likes of MU, AC Milan, Liverpool etc.

I'd rather be playing United, Milan and Liverpool than City, Chelsea and Red Bull Leipzig.

It appears as though Manchester United profit from this more than most.
How can it be tolerated when David Gill is on the board of Manchester United, The FA, UEFA and FIFA.

Seriously, there's got to be a conflict of interest there, how do you remove him from The FA board?

The actual calculation doesn't seem to be confirmed yet, just the principle. But if it makes things harder for moneybags teams with no history I don't think it's necessarily a horrible idea.
Yeah I've just been trying to find details of the calculation, but it seems that they're not public yet
I'd rather be playing United, Milan and Liverpool than City, Chelsea and Red Bull Leipzig.
I despise City, Chelsea and RBL, but the Champions League should be for the teams that deserve to be there based on recent performances. Anything else is just flat out favouritism.

Yeah I've just been trying to find details of the calculation, but it seems that they're not public yet

I despise City, Chelsea and RBL, but the Champions League should be for the teams that deserve to be there based on recent performances. Anything else is just flat out favouritism.

What I'm more concerned about is the idea of using the coefficient to decide the revenue split.

I'm probably being thick here but what exactly does it mean? What relevance do the rankings have on who qualifies to be in the tournament?

Does it mean UTD could finish outside the qualifying spots but still be in it? Or something to that effect?

I'm probably being thick here but what exactly does it mean? What relevance do the rankings have on who qualifies to be in the tournament?

Does it mean UTD could finish outside the qualifying spots but still be in it? Or something to that effect?
For now, it just means that when they did next qualify for the tournament, they could get a significantly harder draw in the group stage. In the future, UEFA has discussed allowing the top few teams by UEFA coefficient who don't qualify to play anyway (a concession to the big teams to try and stop them forming a breakaway Super League).

That would be fucking bullshit.

A tournament doesn't owe you a pension, it should reward people annually based on performance
Indeed. It could literally see money being taken away from Leicester City or, even worse, teams like Brugge, Basel and Celtic to be given to AC Milan or Liverpool even if they don't actually qualify.

For now, it just means that when they did next qualify for the tournament, they could get a significantly harder draw in the group stage. In the future, UEFA has discussed allowing the top few teams by UEFA coefficient who don't qualify to play anyway (a concession to the big teams to try and stop them forming a breakaway Super League).
This all stinks to high heaven!

I hate that the money has become such that certain teams now have so much clout that they can try and safeguard themselves against failure.

If things continue much further down this path I almost wonder whether we'd all be better off if the likes of Utd and Liverpool did just fuck off and create their own "super league".

We've probably gone as far as any team in recent years in terms of forcing our way into that top bracket despite working with a significant financial handicap but to do so just for them to move the goal posts would a step to far to take.

This all stinks to high heaven!

I hate that the money has become such that certain teams now have so much clout that they can try and safeguard themselves against failure.

If things continue much further down this path I almost wonder whether we'd all be better off if the likes of Utd and Liverpool did just fuck off and create their own "super league".

We've probably gone as far as any team in recent years in terms of forcing our way into that top bracket despite working with a significant financial handicap but to do so just for them to move the goal posts would a step to far to take.
We have to remember the other possibility - that we would be a part of this Super League. Our history isn't up there with United or Liverpool, but it's still significant - three European trophies, first 20th century team to do the double, two league titles, "push-and-run". On top of that we're going to have a very nice stadium, and our commercials are growing well with us becoming a reasonably big name abroad. It's definitely possible that we'd be part of the stitch-up and that would almost be as galling.

We have to remember the other possibility - that we would be a part of this Super League. Our history isn't up there with United or Liverpool, but it's still significant - three European trophies, first 20th century team to do the double, two league titles, "push-and-run". On top of that we're going to have a very nice stadium, and our commercials are growing well with us becoming a reasonably big name abroad. It's definitely possible that we'd be part of the stitch-up and that would almost be as galling.
Tottenham trying to get into that group
gtfo04.gif

we will need 2 or 3 more transfer windows to get in that group and protect the core of our squad maybe get some new players in ( no nkoduo or njie tho proven players would be good )

Back
Top Bottom