Chelsea (league cup semi final)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair - when Son goes, I'd love for us to move to a back three temporarily until he's back. It get's the best out of our wing backs which add to our attack with Son gone. Gives us a bit more strength in defence and also allows us to rest the likes of Winks or Sissoko without feeling shallow defensively.

Still not sold on Lucas to be honest - think he'd be much more useful coming off the bench anyway.

Lucas has nabbed a few goals granted but I'm with you. He seems to be a little off the pace of the English game, not artful in possession and seems a little too direct at times when the clever pass that would be better seems lacking. Play him against maybe 13-14 of the Prem clubs but he can't be starting against the better teams in my opinion

Tracked runners, mainly first half and early 2nd half, rest of the half there were no runners we are so deep. Got quickly into pressing them but stood off well, didn't dive in and he played most of the match on a yellow card.

But as I said on the ball the midfield was our problem, I just don't know why or what caused it. Can't fault Dele, Sissoko and Winks individual performance but as a collective something wasn't right. Not too sure I want to rewatch it either lol.
It’s interesting how differently people see a game. I thought Winks was pretty awful today, too slow with his passing and chasing the game in a way that, to me, made him look lost. On the second half the pace of his passing improved a bit, but he kept playing it back and basically putting our defence under pressure, and forcing them or Gazza to hoof.

I was at the game and thought lamela was hard done by the death was it a foul or was Lamela cheated out if glorious finish
Didn’t look like a foul to me.

Er indoors called it as 1-0 with Kane scoring so was happy with the final score , her Son had it 2-0 with Kane scoring first so was fuming at the ref (who was fucking awful all game).

The drive home was fucking hilarious for a malicious shit stirring cunt (who had it as 3-1 with Dele scoring first)
They still aren’t talking
:troll::fingers:

Ok, but we’re miles apart. I didn’t post in the match thread because I can’t do that and watch closely. Eriksen certainly wasn’t invisible, he was playing far more defensively - like you’ve been saying.
Totti has let himself down today. Sissoko was our best midfielder.
As for Eriksen, his team mates did not set the stage for him, so he could not perform.

Tracked runners, mainly first half and early 2nd half, rest of the half there were no runners we are so deep. Got quickly into pressing them but stood off well, didn't dive in and he played most of the match on a yellow card.

But as I said on the ball the midfield was our problem, I just don't know why or what caused it. Can't fault Dele, Sissoko and Winks individual performance but as a collective something wasn't right. Not too sure I want to rewatch it either lol.
I got annoyed with Winks tonight. He kept recycling it back I nto the defence when Chelsea were in full press and he had options forward that would have taken pressure off. There’s sticking to the plan and then there’s using your brain.

Sissoko deserves a lot of credit for attempting to break the press. Whilst he might have been guilty of losing possession he did so after gaining a lot of yards and giving the back line a break... pretty much the only player that managed it apart from Toby hitting a few long balls in the first half.

There wasn’t any real pressing until Poch had a word in Dele’s ear second half and he dropped back and went hunting, so credit for that. He would have had a poor game otherwise. We were content to be on our heels most of the game and fall back to our box. Watching Alonso swallow yards uncontested over and over wasn’t very pleasant to watch.

I know it was the game plan but I thought we rode our luck tonight. Defence were all great, Gazza saved us but midfield was poor and that was Eriksen’s worst performance for a while. If you’re going to play for the counter then you need to, you know, counter.

Despite all that we have the lead going into the second leg so what the fuck do I know?

:eriksenlol:

Page 4 - 5 footballers who have killed

"Current Chelsea full-back Marcos Alonso was arrested in 2011 for his involvement in a car crash in Spain’s capital Madrid. He was the driver of the car which collided with a wall and killing one of the fellow passengers in the car, a 19-year-old woman.

Alonso was driving at 122.8kmh in wet conditions in a 50kmh zone. What made the car crash even more tragic was the fact that the Spaniard had a blood alcohol level of 0.93mg per litre. (Almost 3 times the permissible alcohol level in Spain)

Originally facing 4 years in prison, Alonso had his sentence reduced to 21 months and it was later dropped completely as the full-back paid 500,000 euros in an out-of-court settlement to the victim's family
."
Holy shit.

Cunt

I got annoyed with Winks tonight. He kept recycling it back I nto the defence when Chelsea were in full press and he had options forward that would have taken pressure off. There’s sticking to the plan and then there’s using your brain.

Sissoko deserves a lot of credit for attempting to break the press. Whilst he might have been guilty of losing possession he did so after gaining a lot of yards and giving the back line a break... pretty much the only player that managed it apart from Toby hitting a few long balls in the first half.

There wasn’t any real pressing until Poch had a word in Dele’s ear second half and he dropped back and went hunting, so credit for that. He would have had a poor game otherwise. We were content to be on our heels most of the game and fall back to our box. Watching Alonso swallow yards uncontested over and over wasn’t very pleasant to watch.

I know it was the game plan but I thought we rode our luck tonight. Defence were all great, Gazza saved us but midfield was poor and that was Eriksen’s worst performance for a while. If you’re going to play for the counter then you need to, you know, counter.

Despite all that we have the lead going into the second leg so what the fuck do I know?

:eriksenlol:

Winksy needs to find a blend of playing it safe to turning his skill into threat. Too many balls into play it safe areas today that I believe put us under unnecessary presssure. Fair enough you need to have that safe way when it's required but I want to see him look for teams weak areas and exploit them, even if it's just a quick knock past someone to win a free kick. Add these areas to his games, be a little more positive instead of still looking like a youngster in a senior team and he will be just fine. Simply put bags of potential but he needs to find a way to add more in my opinion

Winksy needs to find a blend of playing it safe to turning his skill into threat. Too many balls into play it sae areas today that I believe put us under unnecessary presssure. Fair enough you need to have that safe way when it's required but I want to see him look for teams weak areas and exploit them, even if it's just a quick knock past someone to win a free kick. Add these areas to his games, be a little more positive instead of still looking like a youngster in a senior team and he will be just fine. Simply put bags of potential but he needs to find a way to add more in my opinion
Agreed

49735012_317267002222382_4007753001736339456_n.jpg

I'd much rather Foyth and go to a back 3 in all honesty.

Gazzaniga
Foyth - Sanchez - Toby
Trippier - Dele - Dier - Eriksen - Rose
Lucas - Kane
Would be pretty smart. They're going to go for it and I think we play well when we aim to counter. I imagine Dier will be back for that game. Lucas' pace will be much needed on the counter without Son.

Rate that to be fair. Hope we don’t miss son! He had a quiet game tonight though. Lucas can trouble most defenders on his day.

Fuck the Chelsea scum, don’t care if it’s “only the league cup” I want this trophy now. It’s more competitive than previous seasons in terms of team selection.

Winksy needs to find a blend of playing it safe to turning his skill into threat. Too many balls into play it sae areas today that I believe put us under unnecessary presssure. Fair enough you need to have that safe way when it's required but I want to see him look for teams weak areas and exploit them, even if it's just a quick knock past someone to win a free kick. Add these areas to his games, be a little more positive instead of still looking like a youngster in a senior team and he will be just fine. Simply put bags of potential but he needs to find a way to add more in my opinion

Again, I think it's just the fact he's playing as a holder

If Sissoko was playing DM in a diamond, he won't be galloping forward with the ball. He'd be recycling the ball. Passing it back to the defence to bring Chelsea on to us and knocking it long or passing it to Winks or Eriksen to move forward with it. Exactly how Dier plays when he's a holder. No one seems to care or moan about Dier's passing when he plays. Funny that. And Winks makes ALOT more forward passes than Dier does.

People seem to have this misconception of Winks. Probably because Pochettino likened him to Iniesta once. Well I think people need to wake up and see that Winks is CURRENTLY in the team to recycle the ball and make sure we have possession, that's it. He isn't there to play the final killer ball like Eriksen. He isn't there to dribble the ball upfield and move it forward like Sissoko. He's there to do Eric Dier's job, but without slide tackles.

That is the ONLY reason I can see for Winks playing the holding role instead of Sissoko (who physically is better suited to it), because Sissoko can CARRY the ball forward as one of the midfield 3.

That is a very good post and point.

It reminds me of Brian Clough talking about Ray Wilkins (the crab) and saying something along the lines of

"If I was his manager I'd tell him, Ok you can play 4 passes to the left and 4 passes to the right, but the next 2 I want to see passed forwards"

That is a very good post and point.

It reminds me of Brian Clough talking about Ray Wilkins (the crab) and saying something along the lines of

"If I was his manager I'd tell him, Ok you can play 4 passes to the left and 4 passes to the right, but the next 2 I want to see passed forwards"

Cloughie knew what it was about. Totti Totti made a valid point regarding Winks currently playing as a holding midfielder hence maybe being told not to do what I'm seeking. Very good point, we'll hopefully see a change in him once Dier is back.

Another point to make is with both our defensive midfielders out injured and our number one CM in Dembele up until a few months ago, how well is our midfield coping against the likes of Chelsea, Everton away etc? ,arvellpus when you think about it (even if I want to see more from Winksy long term)

Chelsea had less possession tonight than they did when we beat them 3-1 in the league.

Big difference in where they had that possession. League game we had 18 shots to their 13, 9 on target to their 2. We kept them away from our box brilliantly. Tonight we've had 6 to their 17, 3 on target (not inc pen) to their 5.

lvg93OD.png

Back
Top Bottom