Christian Eriksen, it wasn’t supposed to end like this

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This has been covered ad nauseum in his own thread, I'm annoyed at myself in wasting five minutes reading the article and posting a reply. He is done as far as I'm concerned and has been for months. I just wish we could sort out a deal and move on.

300 games & 60 odd goals. I think History will, rightly, record him as a decent servant. Nothing more glamorous than that though.

he’ Better than average, but not much more. He’s not Bale nor Modric level, although almost no one is.

in time how he leaves will be forgotten and fans will get sentimental about him, forgetting his shit corners and terrible free kicks and remembering his couple of scored free kicks and that City winner. Similar to how Berbatov is generally not hated now and his lazy play is forgotten too.

Ericksen cost £12m, left for free, won fuck all. Move on.

I think tarnishing his legacy is a bit overboard. I thought he was one of the best in the league a few years ago, now I don't expect the same performances. Realistically what has he done wrong? Christ, he's got people chanting shit about his lady and Verts. Despite that he's never said anything against the team or fans, even with all the shit we are giving him.

I'm at home watching matches and throwing my arms up in frustration with every poor corner or misplaced pass but at the end of the day his poor form isn't tarnishing his legacy.

You would be encouraging him to play well and feel he has the supporters behind him rather than feeling crap after his reception last Saturday. It is up to the opposition supporters to boo our players not our supporters.

I've never booed a player in my life (only booed Spurs off once) but if he receives boos it's completely deserved. If the fans see players putting the effort in then they respond accordingly. If a player comes out in the media after a pathetic performance in the CL final telling everyone he wants to leave for Madrid/Barca then continues to put in pathetic performances for the next 6 months, it's not the fans job to make the player feel good again. We pay his wages, not the other way around.

What is a big game player? Bit of a fallacy if you ask me. Titles and trophies are a collaborative effort overall.

Games can be won by moments of individual brilliance. But they nearly always will have a large pinch of luck involved.

Mouras last goal in Amsterdam squirmed its way through the only space it could have gone without taking a deflection from two players.

Agree that he is a complete wet blanket though. Doesn't really have that commanding personality and has fannyed out of challenges since day one.

Ran a lot and reads the game better than anyone in the team bar Kane maybe. My overriding memory will the noticeable drop in our creativity when he wasnt on the pitch.

Someone able to take a game by the scruff of the neck and make their ability count when it's crunch time.

Compare to Hazard in the EL final the week before.... Or vs us when he came off the bench in the LC final.....

Also see Bale's CL final heroics.

Last edited:
300 games & 60 odd goals. I think History will, rightly, record him as a decent servant. Nothing more glamorous than that though.

he’ Better than average, but not much more. He’s not Bale nor Modric level, although almost no one is.

in time how he leaves will be forgotten and fans will get sentimental about him, forgetting his shit corners and terrible free kicks and remembering his couple of scored free kicks and that City winner. Similar to how Berbatov is generally not hated now and his lazy play is forgotten too.

Ericksen cost £12m, left for free, won fuck all. Move on.

Better than average, not much more? For three years, any club in the world would have been taken him. Maybe his corners and free kicks weren't always up to snuff...well, then we should have had someone else taking them. Bale and Modric didn't win anything here either.

Eriksen is a good player, a good player

he could have been so much better though. He lacks determination, pussies out of tackles and unfortunately thinks he’s better than he is, which is why he’s lingering waiting for an ‘elite team’ to come in for him. He’ll end up at Inter or someone similar and wish he’d renewed with us.

i for one won’t miss his corners, but good luck to him

Eriksen is a good player, a good player

he could have been so much better though. He lacks determination, pussies out of tackles and unfortunately thinks he’s better than he is, which is why he’s lingering waiting for an ‘elite team’ to come in for him. He’ll end up at Inter or someone similar and wish he’d renewed with us.

i for one won’t miss his corners, but good luck to him
Agree with all except the last five words
:wanyama:

You would be encouraging him to play well and feel he has the supporters behind him rather than feeling crap after his reception last Saturday. It is up to the opposition supporters to boo our players not our supporters.
Whilst he has the shirt on his back he’s one of ours. Once he leaves then I might hope he does badly but not before

Better than average, not much more? For three years, any club in the world would have been taken him. Maybe his corners and free kicks weren't always up to snuff...well, then we should have had someone else taking them. Bale and Modric didn't win anything here either.

yeah maybe you are right. Time will tell. I’ll miss him to be honest, but the version of him I will miss I am not certain we will ever see again.

I don’t believe that any club in the world would have taken him, because if they wanted to, they would have.

I'm unaware of any formal offer, but the world knows how Daniel Levy works (Real Madrid as much as anyone), and there were claims in the media as early as 2016 that Real were interested, but put off by the price tag on numerous occasions (at one time, rumored at over £200m). Real were still linked with him last summer, and may have put in an offer of £40m for him, with Levy countering with £80m. It was expected by several media outlets that Real Madrid would offer £60m, and Levy would let him go at that price, but it seems Real never made that final offer.

Barcelona were also rumored as interested in 2017-18, but Spurs were unwilling to sell. I've linked a couple of sources below, but these are by no means the only ones.

“No formal bids”
“May have been a bid of £40m”
“Levy wanted £80m”

Speculative figures and links to tabloids basically.

If Madrid, Barcelona or PSG want players they go and get them. Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Mbappe etc.

The fact that Eriksen is still at Spurs with 6 months left on his contract speaks volumes.

By the logic of eriksen not being a big game player because of Tottenham's performance in the CL final, it also means Kane isn't a big game player.

What poppycock

100% Kane shouldn’t have been on the pitch. But that was down to the manager.

Eriksen wanted Madrid or Barca. End of the day he wasn’t that good. Just a fact.

Since his Premier League debut on 14 September 2013, Eriksen has assisted the most goals (62), created the most chances (570) and scored the most goals from outside the box (23) & from direct free-kicks (8) in the competition.

Jose also said he was aware of the fans feelings as no doubt Eriksen is. If the fans want to get the best out of Eriksen on Tuesday then they should cheer his name but if not boo it. If they do the latter before the match they are not true Spurs fans.

Back
Top Bottom