Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was talk in November that he had a chronic injury. Just maybe that is partly the problem. We cannot play well without him but at the moment we cannot play well with him.

Another dialled-in performance.

But guess what, he'll play at the weekend because there's no-one else.

Last summer, no signings, no competition etc etc etc. all been said before.

Not just Eriksen, the entire team need to look in the mirror and ask themselves a few questions.

Two games in a row where he die st look like he gives a fuck. If he does the same on Saturday I hope he warms the benc for the rest of the season.

If he warms the bench for the season we struggle to get top 4. He's a Spurs player, he's a professional and he's a vitally important player for us. He needs to start whenever fit.

He is a footballer but he's also prone to lapses in confidence, energy, luck etc he's been a great servant to the club

Another dialled-in performance.

But guess what, he'll play at the weekend because there's no-one else.

Last summer, no signings, no competition etc etc etc. all been said before.

Not just Eriksen, the entire team need to look in the mirror and ask themselves a few questions.

Decisions on playiers that inevitably come back to haunt us.

Without Dele teams are now focusing on shutting down Eriksen, terrible day for him today gave the ball away once in every four touches (29%). Needs a break or Dele back alongside him ...

Without Dele teams are now focusing on shutting down Eriksen, terrible day for him today gave the ball away once in every four touches (29%). Needs a break or Dele back alongside him ...
Sissoko is playing a pure shutdown dm and winks is doing ok but yeah our midfield with Dele looked awful today. Along with our fullbacks

A player that allows him or others to give and go is vital to see the best out of him. He's a class act but if he's the only source of creativity it's easy for teams to target him.

Not been his sparkling best but give him intelligent players around him and watch what else you get out of the man

Yet another big match where he does not perform.

I thought the best players stood out for being consistent with their performance?

If the dip in his play is down to his contract then quite frankly he can fuck off. He is a highly paid professional and should be busting a gut each and every time for our club. Last night his attitude stank.

Compare to their main man last night who has been dropping hints about leaving all season yet was still putting in a shift and involved in all their attacks last night.

He is a footballer but he's also prone to lapses in confidence, energy, luck etc he's been a great servant to the club

Agreed. But since the turn of the year (other than a couple of 'old-Eriksen' wonder passes/crosses e.g. Dele v Fulham) he's been average at best.

His stock ball is now a 5 yard pass sideways to Winks or Sissoko.

They analyse every game to death afterwards, surely the manager/coaching staff pick it out and work with him on it?

Agreed. But since the turn of the year (other than a couple of 'old-Eriksen' wonder passes/crosses e.g. Dele v Fulham) he's been average at best.

His stock ball is now a 5 yard pass sideways to Winks or Sissoko.

They analyse every game to death afterwards, surely the manager/coaching staff pick it out and work with him on it?
Where he has really regressed is in defence/pressing. Absolutely zero commitment to the press last night. At one point he had a light jog next to Kante (who had the ball) and didn't even attempt to put in a tackle.

Or against Burnley where he tried probably the worst tackle I have seen on the guy that assisted Burnley's second right before their second.

Or against Burnley where he tried probably the worst tackle I have seen on the guy that assisted Burnley's second right before their second.

In fairness, over the last two games many in the team are guilty of this!

I hate stats being quoted (as they can prove anything). However in the final weeks of Mourinho's reign at United, they quoted a fall in 'distance run' as evidence of him 'losing the team' and general enthusiasm. I'm not suggesting that our manager is in danger of this - however it would be interesting.

I wonder what our running stats look like since Dortmund?

In fairness, over the last two games many in the team are guilty of this!

I hate stats being quoted (as they can prove anything). However in the final weeks of Mourinho's reign at United, they quoted a fall in 'distance run' as evidence of him 'losing the team' and general enthusiasm. I'm not suggesting that our manager is in danger of this - however it would be interesting.

I wonder what our running stats look like since Dortmund?
I don't think Poch has lost the full locker room. But a few players (mainly Chris) is something that can definitely be discussed.

We always talk about Poch wanting complete control of the team, what he says goes. Which is a big factor in him shifting out a lot of the senior players when he came in and betting on the younger guys, the lads with less developed egos. Players that are easier for him to handle and control. But now that he has been here for 5 years a lot of those youths have grown up and are probably more willing to question him.

A lot over over-reaction on his performance here as I feel it needs to be viewed in the context of the game. A game that saw two teams cancel themselves out. Almost every player was put under pressure the moment they received the ball, especially in the first half. This resulted in the ball being won and lost multiple times and also in the same phase of play too.

This doesn't mean he had a great game, he DIDN'T!

Not a single player for both sides in midfield dominated, the only player for both teams that I thought put their head above the fence was Pedro (he played almost a free role between Kovacic and Kante (who covered of left and right flanks well) and Winks (he anchored, kept the ball under big pressure, kept it ticking whilst also being aggressive without the ball).

I thought his first touch was terrible and thus allowed Chelsea to regain possession and our attacks to not even build. He's never been a tackler, this I can live with as he still has perfected the art of toeing the ball away from the oppo but thought he lacked this last night too, he just wasn't aggressive enough.

The biggest issue though is NOT individual but how we are forced to set up right now (and for many games this season too). The issue is our FB's and CM our FB's should be providing overloads in attack, and we miss the pressing and running of Dele, it doesn't matter where Dele is deployed, his running and pressing is sorely missed. Without the pressure and width from the FB's and the running and pressing from Dele we are not creating the space for the players who can get on the ball. Last night Kane had no space, Son had no space, Eriksen had no space, Lamela had no space. (we also missed Dier, specifically his attitude he brings to these games).

Eriksen needs space, if our system and some current personnel in the system aren't creating space then Eriksen is nullified, if he's nullified we don't create much.

I agree with the analysis. However the manager and coaching staff could see all this last night.

They managed to tweak the way we played in the second half versus Dortmund, but not last night?

There were no real alternatives on the bench, so a tactical change was all he had. It looked like he was trying to do something when Lucas came on but there was barely 10 minutes left.

Why not make the tactical change at half time?

We need a lot from them when Dele and Dier return. Any progress on when?

Back
Top Bottom