Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Need to get Alexa out of his office...

They make a joke out of it, but I think this will cause all sorts of problems (arguments over what is acceptable to air).
I don't know how anybody can handle that sort of surveillence in their private office. But M's a full-on narcissist so it's like a massage for him. Probably turn out like an episode of The Office.

Need to get Alexa out of his office...

They make a joke out of it, but I think this will cause all sorts of problems (arguments over what is acceptable to air).
He wore it into the meeting with the referee apparently, but they noticed and made him turn it off. Shame because that would have been the most interesting part.

Ugh... Jose's first lie
He's not lying... he's giving us the truth... read between the LInEs...
Eriksen's off...
I think he said one of us "until the last moment" ... in other words, he is off as soon as possible.
Absolutely...
Mourinho is a master of knowing how football works.... and equally as importantly, how the football MEDIA works.... he's giving us ALL the information, but (now I assume contractually obliged to Amazon) isn't giving away any deliberate spoilers!

....but it's as plain as day Eriksen's decided to leave...at best, Jose will persuade him NOT to down tools and put a fucking shift in, for the remaining month or so he's here!

Right. So what we need to know is how many sprints he clocks up!
What we need to know, in order to jump to conclusions like "he runs a lot so must be working hard" is whether he's actually doing much with those runs.
It is so easy to knock up stats like his in 90 minutes. So easy.

Have you ever actually watched Eriksen? That's not meant to sound patronising, what I mean is, have you ever been able to watch Eriksen and nothing else?
If you do get a chance, what you'll see is that he never stops jogging. And I use the word jogging very deliberately. He doesn't stand still, not for a second, but he's rarely moving more than say 5kph. If there's a break on he will speed up, but he just jogs around, miles away from the ball at a lazy pace racking up the kilometers. 10k in 90 minutes is very easy going for an under 30. Very. I do 10k in my lunch hour, I'm not an athlete, under 30 or even particularly fit.

If you were to compare his nearest rivals for distance covered in, say, average speed during runs, he would be behind. If you were to compare where that running was in relation to the ball, he would be further away from it. It's an insignificant stat when you see how it was attained.

You do spout some utter bollocks don't you. If he was spending all his running trying to get away from the ball, can you explain how he managed to see more of it than most of our other - non running away from it - other midfielders and all our attacking midfielders (who you presumably think are running less to be actually doing more?) last season?

Another bullshit Matt1882 theory

You do spout some utter bollocks don't you. If he was spending all his running trying to get away from the ball, can you explain how he managed to see more of it than most of our other - non running away from it - other midfielders and all our attacking midfielders (who you presumably think are running less to be actually doing more?) last season?

Another bullshit Matt1882 theory
He obviously doesn’t watch Eriksen live - I have, and at his best he’s rarely more than 10 yards from the ball, not ‘miles from the ball’ - that’s just ridiculous. I will concede he’s nowhere near his best at the moment, but that assessment of his play is just bollocks.

From his interview last summer:

“Real Madrid is a step up but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian,” Eriksen said. “And that they haven’t done as far as I know.

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

If that tweet is correct, it means his mind has changed. (or he was straight up lying)

At this point, I might even prefer losing him on a free than paying him 9 million a year. It could turn out like Ozil, a vastly underperforming star on a too heavy contract to get rid off.

“Real Madrid is a step up but then it would take Real Madrid picking up the phone and making contact with Tottenham and say that they want Christian,” Eriksen said. “And that they haven’t done as far as I know.

“It all depends on Daniel Levy and there has to be another club too. Or I will sit down myself at the table and negotiate a new contract. You can’t set a date yourself. There aren’t many boxes that Tottenham don’t tick so if I have to move away, it would have to be a step up.”

Eriksen was asked whether he would seek to run down his contract. “That is difficult to say,” he replied. “It depends on the possibilities. If there are no exciting offers why shouldn’t I stay at Tottenham? If I then sign a new contract depends on the conditions.”

If that tweet is correct, it means his mind has changed. (or he was straight up lying)

At this point, I might even prefer losing him on a free than paying him 9 million a year. It could turn out like Ozil, a vastly underperforming star on a too heavy contract to get rid off.

Get rid and banish him from the 1st team squad until he goes

Or he wants to see what offers are forthcoming (or not) in January, when he can potentially do a deal with overseas clubs, who might be very interested in him on a free in the summer?

Why would he sign a contract now, which would basically make any move in January/Summer much, much harder and almost certainly make his terms in any deal much less?

Or he wants to see what offers are forthcoming (or not) in January, when he can potentially do a deal with overseas clubs, who might be very interested in him on a free in the summer?

Why would he sign a contract now, which would basically make any move in January/Summer much, much harder and almost certainly make his terms in any deal much less?
Money and security ... He signs a five year contract and he gets paid >12m a year for the next five years playing good or bad ... don't sign and he risks a downward spiral ending up in the MSL or China

The "Ozil Problem" is well understood by top clubs, having a player on massive money who doesn't perform but can't be sold is a huge dressing room disruption. By all accounts we are now offering Eriksen less than we did a year ago, he simply hasn't deserved the big money contract.

Probably best all around if he moves on ...

Money and security ... He signs a five year contract and he gets paid >12m a year for the next five years playing good or bad ... don't sign and he risks a downward spiral ending up in the MSL or China

The "Ozil Problem" is well understood by top clubs, having a player on massive money who doesn't perform but can't be sold is a huge dressing room disruption. By all accounts we are now offering Eriksen less than we did a year ago, he simply hasn't deserved the big money contract.

Probably best all around if he moves on ...

There's a big difference here though in that Eriksen is currently on an extremely low wage right now - something like 75k pw / 4m pa. There's a fucking plethora of clubs out there (PL and Europe) who will happily pay him double that, especially on a free transfer (whether he wants to join most of them is another matter - but that might become more and more appealing as things sour here with the fans etc), so he really doesn't need to be worrying about security.

Agree, he needs to move on now, but his best chance of doing that somewhere he wants to go, is by not signing any new deal with us right now.

Back
Top Bottom