Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see what you mean - but Eriksen is not as such a forward, although converting him is an interesting thought.

As said, his natural position is on point of a midfield 3. But his true value from there is not finishing but rather feeding players in front of him. Of which 3 forwards is a must to breathe life into his potential.

Which in its own right is due reason to hope for LVG or FDB.

I've just seen him get steamrolled too much in the prem to be that deep. We need to get players like him out of the boiler room. We need to click in the final third and he has the ability we need.

He can absolutely do it, but in our current team he needs protection. The prem is set up to spoil outside the top 4.

Slags off 442 as taking us to the bottom of the league, then plays a 5 man midfield with a striker and a CB in it.

To be fair, Chiriches can play an adequate CDM as evidenced in his time with Steaua. The problem here is "protection for the tiny dancers" via two CDMs, which actually hurts them because they receive less support in numbers and movement, and a striker in the No 10 role who never turns forward when dropping to receive the ball.

Slags off 442 as taking us to the bottom of the league, then plays a 5 man midfield with a striker and a CB in it.

Correct. Mind blown? Ade does good stuff all over the park. One season he had 11 prem assists. Being a Lennon fan you probably don't know what they are.

And Vlad has been a DM in his career. It's called a spine.

The problem here is "protection for the tiny dancers" via two CDMs, which actually hurts them because they receive less support in numbers and movement, and a striker in the No 10 role who never turns forward when dropping to receive the ball.

Didnt seem to worry them on the weekend did it? Paulinho and Sandro linked up just fine with the softer players like Siggy and Eriksen. Thats because Ade and Kane can muck in. What did you call them? Clunkers?

When the Brazilians came off, the clunkers, they started spoiling and kicking us.

Christian Eriksens best position is in central midfield in a 4-3-3 formation(classic Ajax style) and thats where he should be used. At Ajax he was most succesfull when he played alongside Siem de Jong and with a defensive midfielder behind them. He often played deep and received the ball from the backline or the DM and de Jong was often further up the field than Eriksen(much more often than if Eriksen had played as a number 10/attacking midfielder). In his last seasons Ajax was pretty much build around Eriksens passing from midfield. The consensus was that Ajax performance often could be measured by how many times Eriksen received the ball.

The problem with Eriksen on the left, other than his defending, was summed up against Villa. We were all over Villa in the first half and Eriksen could roam freely into midfield. Villa came out better in the second half and Eriksen was forced out on the left. Eriksen received the ball 44 times in the first half and completed 43 out of 46 passes. In the second half he only received the ball 18 times and he completed 19 out of 22. When you also look at where he received the ball and passed the ball, it was quite obvious that they couldnt get the ball to him in the second half and that when he got the ball it was often on the left, where his passing range was quite limited.

Playing Eriksen in central midfield should allow him to get the ball more often, especially from the backline and also give him more and better passing options. He is also way better defensively in the midfield, because there are fewer 1-on-1s and more pressing/interceptions in midfield. Defending wide is not the same as defending in the middle.

So basically: Play him in fucking midfield and see how it goes.

Christian Eriksens best position is in central midfield in a 4-3-3 formation(classic Ajax style) and thats where he should be used. At Ajax he was most succesfull when he played alongside Siem de Jong and with a defensive midfielder behind them. He often played deep and received the ball from the backline or the DM and de Jong was often further up the field than Eriksen(much more often than if Eriksen had played as a number 10/attacking midfielder). In his last seasons Ajax was pretty much build around Eriksens passing from midfield. The consensus was that Ajax performance often could be measured by how many times Eriksen received the ball.

The problem with Eriksen on the left, other than his defending, was summed up against Villa. We were all over Villa in the first half and Eriksen could roam freely into midfield. Villa came out better in the second half and Eriksen was forced out on the left. Eriksen received the ball 44 times in the first half and completed 43 out of 46 passes. In the second half he only received the ball 18 times and he completed 19 out of 22. When you also look at where he received the ball and passed the ball, it was quite obvious that they couldnt get the ball to him in the second half and that when he got the ball it was often on the left, where his passing range was quite limited.

Playing Eriksen in central midfield should allow him to get the ball more often, especially from the backline and also give him more and better passing options. He is also way better defensively in the midfield, because there are fewer 1-on-1s and more pressing/interceptions in midfield. Defending wide is not the same as defending in the middle.

Agreed. The only reasons he's on the left this season is because we're very weak at LW, don't have a player capable of consistently moving the ball forward from deep to get him the ball and support, and the only way we were finding a way into the box was via crosses (one of Eriksen's strongest traits) and as such it was better to have two strikers available under them.

Elimination of the high back line and the induced congestion, introduction of a dynamic and transition-focused CM (even if it's a current player that's dialed into the role per mandate and development from the manager) behind a central Eriksen, and improvement of a complete LW, then we're looking much closer to the fluid type of play that we not only appreciate at Spurs but is also effective in the modern game.

Villa came out better in the second half and Eriksen was forced out on the left. Eriksen received the ball 44 times in the first half and completed 43 out of 46 passes. In the second half he only received the ball 18 times and he completed 19 out of 22.

We took our Brazilians off early and Villa got the chance to kick us/spoil.

Correct. Mind blown? Ade does good stuff all over the park. One season he had 11 prem assists. Being a Lennon fan you probably don't know what they are.

And Vlad has been a DM in his career. It's called a spine.

And Im sure you watched Vlad play there multiple times through his career....

Ade did not assist as a midfielder either.....

A Lennon fan? What drugs didnt we take today then Gibbs...?

A Lennon fan? What drugs didnt we take today then Gibbs...?

I was on drugs? You posted this YESTERDAY as a shape you would have played WITH HINDSIGHT this season...

Lennon......................Sandro....................Dembele..................Eriksen

..............................................Lamela

I don't even have to use the "do I have to draw you a picture?" line because you scrawled this yesterday ya dingus.

I was on drugs? You posted this YESTERDAY as a shape you would have played WITH HINDSIGHT this season...

Lennon......................Sandro....................Dembele..................Eriksen

..............................................Lamela

I don't even have to use the "do I have to draw you a picture?" line because you scrawled this yesterday ya dingus.

Maybe you can show me all our other brilliant RW's I left out for him

Maybe you can show me all our other brilliant RW's I left out for him

I can't. So why play a shape that specifically needs a right winger?

To cross to the....Mighty Lamela.

thumb.php

Because I prefer it to other shapes, even with Lennon there

But bro, we DOMINATED with POWER and STEEL the Villa side that tied their worst ever top flight points haul the week after they secured safety and on the final day of the season, without Lennon. Hence, we should never use wingers again, and everyone else is wrong. Come on bro be realistic.

Christ, what an absolute mong.

Sandro at DM, Pauli and Eriksen completing the 3

It seems so obvious

Did we even try it once this season

But bro, we DOMINATED with POWER and STEEL the Villa side that tied their worst ever top flight points haul the week after they secured safety and on the final day of the season, without Lennon. Hence, we should never use wingers again, and everyone else is wrong. Come on bro be realistic.

Christ, what an absolute mong.

Absolute mong? Townsend no assists and no goals from any of his 56 shots at goal in the prem. Lennon hardly has a goal and assist to rub together. Rose is dominating the worst player of the season thread and the less said about Naughton the better. Wingbacks and wingers have been dire this season.

You think I'm basing it off one game? Townsend. Zero assists. Why we no make top four?

Mock the power and steel aspect all you like. Ade and Kane scored goals and created goals for us. The ball started sticking in the final third.

Hmm I don't know, I'd rahter play Dembélé alongside Sandro and Eriksen. Sandro as the anchor, the beast that shields our midfield, Dembélé as sbd who drops deep to open the play and bridge the midfield and Eriksen as the centre of the offense. Why Dembélé and not Paulinho? Dembélé has a much higher workrate espacially in defense compared to Paulinho and his technical abilities are - in my opinion - way better than Paulinhos. But mostly Paulinho tends to be too lazy defensively.

Hmm I don't know, I'd rahter play Dembélé alongside Sandro and Eriksen. Sandro as the anchor, the beast that shields our midfield, Dembélé as sbd who drops deep to open the play and bridge the midfield and Eriksen as the centre of the offense. Why Dembélé and not Paulinho? Dembélé has a much higher workrate espacially in defense compared to Paulinho and his technical abilities are - in my opinion - way better than Paulinhos. But mostly Paulinho tends to be too lazy defensively.

I think it's not a case of either or. I think all 4 of them should be heavily involved in the prem next season, Dembele's fitness/injury is key IMO. Their versatility is important.

Back
Top Bottom