Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Okay, this is getting tiring.

I have a question for the people banging the 'Eriksen is poor at the moment'-drum over and over: Do you actually watch the games, and if yes, do you keep an actual eye out for Eriksen, or do you just conclude at the end of the match that he wasn't in the spotlight that much, and was therefore, by default, poor?

As for the game yesterday: In the first half alone, he made two in-depth passes that created chances (one of them was an over-head pass with his back against goal). Furthermore, also in the first half, he had a perfect corner kick which Toby headed towards goal - the only reason that didn't become an assist for him was because of a brilliant save - go back to the match thread and see the reactions to that save, if you're in doubt.

In the second half, he created two more chances. One was a brilliant cross into the box which Kane took down with his chest. You don't see any other of our guys making passes like that.

As for the numbers.
2 PL goals. Not that impressive. However, Kane is firing, and only him + Dele Alli and Eric Dier have scored more goals than Eriksen. If 2 PL goals is critical, how about Lamela, Dembele, Son, N'Jie?

7 PL assists. More than double(!) of anyone else in the team. Top 10 in the PL. Speaks for itself.

Furthermore, look at the article from hibberni hibberni
Key passes per game: He has made more this season than in any other season for us.
Assists per game: More this season than any other season.
Tackles per game: More this season than any other season.

On top of that, he runs more than any other Spurs player.

Remember when he was out with a knee injury? We scored 2 goals in 3 games!!! In the 4th game where he was out, we hadn't scored yet - he then made his comeback around the 65th minute and instantly assisted the winning 1-0 goal against Palace.
How about in January, where he was the player in the whole PL who had secured the highest amount of points?

I'm not saying that he's been a world beater this season, and that you can't criticize him. But beating this stupid drum, and wanting him dropped for, say, Son, who's done nothing since returning from injury? That's far out.

He had no shots at all yesterday, the only time that happened before this season was v Chavs, and he made one tackle. Yet he still made some telling killer passes. Dier also looked a bit off yesterday.
However, Lamela and Alli, playing in the 3 behind Kane, both made more tackles and had 7 shots between them.

Hopefully he will rectify his goal scoring contribution the 2nd half of the season, along with Chadli and Son.

Watford will be a tough game. Capoue will be well up for it having a point to prove and Gomes you now will just have a blinder.
A lot has been made of their winning streak, yet those were close wins v Villa and Sunderland a home victory over Norwich and a pleasing win v Liverpool (albeit with a dubious first goal).
It will be interesting to see how we go about this game. Dembele and Dier will be crucial imo, and we will have to deny Deeny space.

And, on a more general sidenote, I don't understand this need of criticizing our players and wanting to change the starting 11. We score goals. A lot. We win. A lot (or at least don't lose) We're playing really well. We have the best goal difference in the league FFS.

As a result of that, people want to drop or at least heavily criticize the attacking player who makes the most assists, and is our deadliest weapon from set pieces?
I need a beer :kanehand:

Stats without context are great

No-one is saying he's terrible and should be benched but he's been nowhere near what's expected of him recently. His play outside of set pieces has been subpar... instead of fawning over stats take a look with your own eyes. the chance he created for Alli in the first half wasn't intentional since It was meant for Kane. the lob that Kane chested was cleared almost straight away and there's no way he could've brought it down in such a crowded area but it'd still go down as a key pass or a chance created.

Watch the game with your eyes and not just through numbers. He left Walker exposed for long periods yesterday whilst Lamela has been great at covering and helping his full back. Might be a little harsh but he has the capability to be so much better. He has the ability to really dictate games but often lets the game pass him by

Stats without context are great
Without context? Describing actions from the game is context. Showcasing that we were very poor offensively without him is context. Telling you that he assisted a winning goal after 1 minute of game time in his comeback game is context.
No-one is saying he's terrible and should be benched but he's been nowhere near what's expected of him recently.
1. No-one? Eh, yes, some are saying that he should be benched. Do you read the forum?
2. What's expected of him, then? You must have the answer, since you can claim that he does not live up to it.
His play outside of set pieces has been subpar...
Has it? Why? He doesn't stand out like Alli, Dembele and Kane at the moment, but afaic he provides the calmness and overview in our attacks, while Alli and Lamela provide the more direct style of play. They compliment each other greatly. Evidenced by the table and goal difference.
Furthermore, funny that people always criticized his corners. Now he's getting loads of assists from them, but does that get a positive mention? Nope, now he's poor on the ball instead. Jeeeez. :pochfacepalm:
Watch the game with your eyes and not just through numbers. He left Walker exposed for long periods yesterday whilst Lamela has been great at covering and helping his full back. Might be a little harsh but he has the capability to be so much better.
Yeah, exposed Walker, because 1) he shouldn't be playing at the right side in the first place, and 2) he's not exactly a beast defensively. Although he does actually tackle a lot this season. Did you see him tackle Wanyama against Saints? I did, cause I was watching the guy.. Funny, really. I ask you guys if you actually watch Eriksen when we play. You then counter that question because I also use stats to prove that you're wrong about him!? :pochrolleyes:
Might be a little harsh but he has the capability to be so much better.
Agreed.

Trouble is his past performances have set the bar and expectation levels high. He is quieter at the moment but is still contributing, no way should he be dropped for Son, the team is winning, playing well and when Eriksens form goes up a level again the whole team will benefit

Without context? Describing actions from the game is context. Showcasing that we were very poor offensively without him is context. Telling you that he assisted a winning goal after 1 minute of game time in his comeback game is context.

1. No-one? Eh, yes, some are saying that he should be benched. Do you read the forum?
2. What's expected of him, then? You must have the answer, since you can claim that he does not live up to it.

Has it? Why? He doesn't stand out like Alli, Dembele and Kane at the moment, but afaic he provides the calmness and overview in our attacks, while Alli and Lamela provide the more direct style of play. They compliment each other greatly. Evidenced by the table and goal difference.

Furthermore, funny that people always criticized his corners. Now he's getting loads of assists from them, but does that get a positive mention? Nope, now he's poor on the ball instead. Jeeeez. :pochfacepalm:

Yeah, exposed Walker, because 1) he shouldn't be playing at the right side in the first place, and 2) he's not exactly a beast defensively. Although he does actually tackle a lot this season. Did you see him tackle Wanyama against Saints? I did, cause I was watching the guy.. Funny, really. I ask you guys if you actually watch Eriksen when we play. You then counter that question because I also use stats to prove that you're wrong about him!? :pochrolleyes:

Agreed.

Are you retarded? Showcasing that we were poor offensively without him EARLY into the season where our entire team was disjointed is context? Do you even listen to yourself? The team was nowhere near settled like how it is now.

Some on the forum are saying he should be benched.. go and respond to them then. No-one in this thread has said that so trying to respond to it here is moronic

Ah yes.. so things couldn't be better? We're playing as well as we ever could. LOL.. he provides fucking calmness? This is a player who can propel us to new heights

I don't give a shit about what other people say about his corners. I've never criticized them so fuck knows why you're mentioning that to me. You seem to love talking about 'people' and what these mysterious people think.

Ah yes.. he tackled Wanyama so his defensive work is great! Great analysis. That one time he tackled Wanyama was class. They should sign you up to replace Gary Neville with that level of analysis. He exposed Walker but hey he tackled Wanyama last week so questioning his defensive qualities is completely out of the question. You're asking me if I watch the games like I don't go to most games

Last edited:
Are you retarded? Showcasing that we were poor offensively without him EARLY into the season where our entire team was disjointed is context? Do you even listen to yourself? The team was nowhere near settled like how it is now.

Some on the forum are saying he should be benched.. go and respond to them then. No-one in this thread has said that so trying to respond to it here is moronic

Ah yes.. so things couldn't be better? We're playing as well as we ever could. LOL.. he provides fucking calmness? This is a player who can propel us to new heights

I don't give a shit about what other people say about his corners. I've never criticized them so fuck knows why you're mentioning that to me. You seem to love talking about 'people' and what these mysterious people think.

Ah yes.. he tackled Wanyama so his defensive work is great! Great analysis. That one time he tackled Wanyama was class. They should sign you up to replace Gary Neville with that level of analysis. He exposed Walker but hey he tackled Wanyama last week so questioning his defensive qualities is completely out of the question. You're asking me if I watch the games like I don't go to most games
tumblr_moz0rx8lzE1sqv808o1_250.gif

thing about Eriksen is that he is one of those players who worked very hard last season. One stat that came up quite often was distance covered and he was always one of the few players that ran alot. I am assuming he is a little burned out. Just needs a bit of break maybe.

Thought he did well when he came on today, created a good chance for Son as well. If the runs are made in behind the defence, Eriksen will make the pass

He dictated the game when he came on, much better showing from him in a more compact setting. he did well

Last edited:
I quite liked the formation we played and I was intrigued to see how Eriksen would have done in Carrolls role. A bit deeper and licence to sort of dictate from central midfield. Playing alongside someone strong defensively like a Dembele whilst Lamela, Alli and Kane attack in front of them could have worked out really well.

I quite liked the formation we played and I was intrigued to see how Eriksen would have done in Carrolls role. A bit deeper and licence to sort of dictate from central midfield. Playing alongside someone strong defensively like a Dembele whilst Lamela, Alli and Kane attack in front of them could have worked out really well.
When we took Carroll off for Son and went two up top and tried to go a bit more attacking he basically was playing there, Dier stepped back up a bit as more of a deep lying DM and Chadli and Lamela played more narrow.

Thought he had a good first half. Very quiet in the second half though, near enough invisible. Hopefully he can start chipping in with some goals in the second half of the season because we need to start putting teams away when we have the chance to.

We were so good in that first half in fact that Eriksen even had time to knock one out when he was fouled.

Back
Top Bottom