Christmas eve football. Is it taking the piss out of supporters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

should we bin Christmas eve football

• yes

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • no

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • shrug

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
Don't be sucked into the 'I must do every game minsdet'. Took me a few seasons to break the habit and just cherry pick.

Now i prefer it. Wait until you know the time and date of kick off, TV picks, train strikes and family commitments. Then buy a ticket.

I'm fucked off being dictated to by TV etc.

The thing is, for some fans it’s probably a lovely thing to do, a game at Christmas time as part of the bank holiday weekend, much like Boxing Day. The latter was always a good excuse to get out of the house when I was young! Personally, it’s not a great time for me… but then so are 12:30pm kick offs at a weekend. And there are more of those to worry about in a season.

Don't be sucked into the 'I must do every game minsdet'. Took me a few seasons to break the habit and just cherry pick.

Now i prefer it. Wait until you know the time and date of kick off, TV picks, train strikes and family commitments. Then buy a ticket.

I'm fucked off being dictated to by TV etc.
The problem is the trains in this country are so broken, that it can be unaffordable to wait until Sky and BT or whatever they're called now make their picks. The difference between a super advance train fare (12 weeks in advance) and even booking 6 weeks in advance is massive. If I leave it too late, I might not be able to justify the train fare, if I book too early there's a risk I throw my money away.

Considering we're not in europe this season it seems wild to me that our fixtures are being moved around even more than if we made the CL!

I'm grateful I can flog my seats on the exchange, I hate missing games but it cushions the blow somewhat.

What else are you gonna do on Xmas eve fella?

Instead of watching some Netflix you can now watch chelsea lose at Molineux, no big deal.
Buy presents, duh.

giphy.gif

The problem is the trains in this country are so broken, that it can be unaffordable to wait until Sky and BT or whatever they're called now make their picks. The difference between a super advance train fare (12 weeks in advance) and even booking 6 weeks in advance is massive. If I leave it too late, I might not be able to justify the train fare, if I book too early there's a risk I throw my money away.

Considering we're not in europe this season it seems wild to me that our fixtures are being moved around even more than if we made the CL!

I'm grateful I can flog my seats on the exchange, I hate missing games but it cushions the blow somewhat.
Yeah the planning for trains/travel for people is one thing that never seems a consideration for the ones making the fixture decisions.
Have they announced any strikes in December?

I bet the players prefer it to Boxing Day football.

Unless they play shit and their manager drags them into training the next day to run 15 miles or something crazy like that.

I don't think so personally, back when I was still going to the Lane the boxing day fixture was one of the highlights of the Christmas break.
I don't think a Christmas Eve fixture is that much different its just the day before rather than the day after.

Without the footy and the darts over Christmas it would get boring very fast.

I don't know about the fans but its a total cunt for Spanish, Portuguese, Latin American and Italian players, managers and staff (among other nationalities undoubtedly).

Christmas Eve is the biggest family meal/celebration of the whole year, it's a much bigger deal than the 25th.

From a purely selfish point of view Christmas Eve suits me much better than Boxing Day but I totally agree that the wishes of those of us who regularly attend games are being trampled all over by the myriad of tv broadcast deals.

From a purely selfish point of view Christmas Eve suits me much better than Boxing Day but I totally agree that the wishes of those of us who regularly attend games are being trampled all over by the myriad of tv broadcast deals.

Yes the frequent moving of games is the most significant issue. No regard for fans travel arrangements or the fact we have lives outside of football we need to plan for

Why is there not a “Not when it affects Nazi fans*” option? That’s where my vote would go.

*No offence to Wolves fans who are wonderful

Remember Man United v Leeds being on Christmas Eve a few years back (further back than I thought).

It is shit but at least the trains run that day. Always kind of grateful when we're away on Boxing Day. Bloody love a game on other days over Christmas time though.

Back
Top Bottom