Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I read it all, and it doesn't present a path to enlightenment in my view, just a path to anodyne and vanilla commentary, based on ignoring or refusing to celebrate the advantages that some people enjoy.

Maybe you are the ignorant one Guido, or just too simple to understand the implications of this "research."
Well thank goodness the commentators/co-commentators, the report it's aimed at, are open-minded enough to say they welcome some training and education. I guess that's not for everyone, far better to rage against everything, feeling hard done by.

Well thank goodness the commentators/co-commentators, the report it's aimed at, are open-minded enough to say they welcome some training and education. I guess that's not for everyone, far better to rage against everything, feeling hard done by.
if thats aimed at me, show me the rage in my comments, and then show me where I feel hard done by.
You bitched at me for not reading the article - but what you just posted shows me that you made no attempt to read what I said, or deal with the questions I asked - which I did because of the reasons I posited.
The piece ignores the fact that humans differ not only in skin tone, but also in physiology, and that there are fundamental differences in the way that humans adapt to utilise their physical skills to their best advantage.

Currently there is an avalanche of caucasian attempts at bending over backwards to show how they are prepared to end discrimination against anyone who is not caucasian. What people forget is that being discriminatory also means to pick the best of something to prove their ability to selct the best reson for doing something.

It is actually possible to say things about people from a different ethnic background to yourself that is positive, and not a method of discriminating against a difference between race or culture.

And that is my argument against that particular piece of research.

Last edited:
No I know that. I also know that is not racism. It motivated my suggestion that you found out why, because the subject obviously interests you.

Judging by the number of your posts on this subject, it interests you a lot more than me.

Which makes it surprising really that you think judging people by the colour of their skin is acceptable as long as you can somehow justify it by switching labels about.

Spoken like a true white guy.
posted like a true moron

But then again, there is now a race amongst white people to show how sympathetic they are to the causes of the oppressed, by shitting everything done and said by white people.

"Look at me shitting my own kind - I truly empathise with the rest of the world."

what a totally dishonest way to comport yourself

posted like a true moron

But then again, there is now a race amongst white people to show how sympathetic they are to the causes of the oppressed, by shitting everything done and said by white people.

"Look at me shitting my own kind - I truly empathise with the rest of the world."

Still not as bad as you condoning apartheid few weeks back...

I read it all, and it doesn't present a path to enlightenment in my view, just a path to anodyne and vanilla commentary, based on ignoring or refusing to celebrate the advantages that some people enjoy.

Maybe you are the ignorant one Guido, or just too simple to understand the implications of this "research."
The only display of ignorance is on you I’m afraid Mick. It is one thing to not be aware of something but on another level to willfully ignore evidence that has been put forward.

Perhaps you enjoyed the 70’s less vanilla language of the sitcoms back then, when Alf Garnet made the nation laugh with his ”nignog” And ”coon” jokes. I mean it's only words and make believe, just a bit of fun and dosen't hurt anyone.

Or maybe it's worth just reflecting for a few moments to gain some comprehtion. To be open rather than closed to what is being said. The expectation wouldn't be to stop an entire language, there requires no swallowing of a new dictionary, just a pause and some reflection on some of the words that are used that people weren't even conscious that there use had potential to be stereotype a racial preference.

Everyone at some point benefits from feedback, whether it's from your partner, parents, mates or your own kids. If you are doing something you weren't even aware of it's useful to be made aware what it is. With this new knowledge you are then empowered to do something about it.

The only display of ignorance is on you I’m afraid Mick. It is one thing to not be aware of something but on another level to willfully ignore evidence that has been put forward.

Perhaps you enjoyed the 70’s less vanilla language of the sitcoms back then, when Alf Garnet made the nation laugh with his ”nignog” And ”coon” jokes. I mean it's only words and make believe, just a bit of fun and dosen't hurt anyone.

Or maybe it's worth just reflecting for a few moments to gain some comprehtion. To be open rather than closed to what is being said. The expectation wouldn't be to stop an entire language, there requires no swallowing of a new dictionary, just a pause and some reflection on some of the words that are used that people weren't even conscious that there use had potential to be stereotype a racial preference.

Everyone at some point benefits from feedback, whether it's from your partner, parents, mates or your own kids. If you are doing something you weren't even aware of it's useful to be made aware what it is. With this new knowledge you are then empowered to do something about it.
No, I reject your massively condescending and fatuous response completely. Stick to commenting on aspects of football because you dont appear to be able to read and understand what is being said, either in the article in question or my opinion on it. You have simply corralled me as a racist because I fail to see the benefit of the thought police finding something wrong in every aspect of life as an appeasement to the real discrimination that exists.
If you dont possess the capacity to think things through or understand the impact of what's being said then you should refrain from passing judgement on people who can.
Why did you stop at accusing me of wanting reruns of 70s sitcoms to polarise your argument, clutch the strawman argument with both hands and accuse me of having posters of Stalin, Hitler, Idi Amin and PolPot on my walls and attending KKK rallies? Go full Godwins on me, why don't you?
You might be gullible enough to swallow every bite of "white bashing" cobblers that gets pushed out on the name of knee jerk reaction, but I prefer to look at what is being said, analyse the impact and benefits and then decide for myself. That article ignores far too many real factors and influences and comes closer to 1984 thought control than beneficial behaviour moderation.

Johnny Speight wrote Garnett to ridicule the people that thought and spoke like that, not to eulogise them.

Judging by the number of your posts on this subject, it interests you a lot more than me.

Which makes it surprising really that you think judging people by the colour of their skin is acceptable as long as you can somehow justify it by switching labels about.
Funny metric, as you have double my posts on nearly every subject, whilst telling people to get a life ironic. It's not about labels and facts do matter. It's why the world is the mess it is. People talking loudly about things they do not even understand the basics of is also part of the problem. You seem very offended by the idea someone suggesting (politely I'll add) that you get a handle on some of the nuance.

No, I reject your massively condescending and fatuous response completely. Stick to commenting on aspects of football because you dont appear to be able to read and understand what is being said, either in the article in question or my opinion on it. You have simply corralled me as a racist because I fail to see the benefit of the thought police finding something wrong in every aspect of life as an appeasement to the real discrimination that exists.
If you dont possess the capacity to think things through or understand the impact of what's being said then you should refrain from passing judgement on people who can.
Why did you stop at accusing me of wanting reruns of 70s sitcoms to polarise your argument, clutch the strawman argument with both hands and accuse me of having posters of Stalin, Hitler, Idi Amin and PolPot on my walls and attending KKK rallies? Go full Godwins on me, why don't you?
You might be gullible enough to swallow every bite of "white bashing" cobblers that gets pushed out on the name of knee jerk reaction, but I prefer to look at what is being said, analyse the impact and benefits and then decide for myself. That article ignores far too many real factors and influences and comes closer to 1984 thought control than beneficial behaviour moderation.

Johnny Speight wrote Garnett to ridicule the people that thought and spoke like that, not to eulogise them.
Absolutely no point in going on with this as you seem to think I'm calling you a racist!!! I mean WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

I suggested you were ignorant, the first time I chose this descriptive as blissful ignorance. The second instance I suggest you're willfully ignorant as you are closed to any suggestion of the report and our subsequent dialogue has taken.

Now fuck off.

posted like a true moron

Spoken like a true racist.

Absolutely no point in going on with this as you seem to think I'm calling you a racist!!! I mean WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

I suggested you were ignorant, the first time I chose this descriptive as blissful ignorance. The second instance I suggest you're willfully ignorant as you are closed to any suggestion of the report and our subsequent dialogue has taken.

Now fuck off.
Oooh, you big butch bully boy.
I'm not accidentally or wilfully ignorant, you patronising sod. I reject the implications of the survey as I dont believe that what it suggests is relevant.
Strangely Guido, I get just as pissed off as you do when people call me ignorant, when I took the time to read it AND THEN MADE MY OWN MIND UP, I dont just gobble everything up in the name of ending racial discrimination and then regurgitate it as the new gospel.
So sorry, I won't.

Oooh, you big butch bully boy.
I'm not accidentally or wilfully ignorant, you patronising sod. I reject the implications of the survey as I dont believe that what it suggests is relevant.
Strangely Guido, I get just as pissed off as you do when people call me ignorant, when I took the time to read it AND THEN MADE MY OWN MIND UP, I dont just gobble everything up in the name of ending racial discrimination and then regurgitate it as the new gospel.
So sorry, I won't.
You are ignorant willfully or otherwise, as evidenced in your posts. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of perspective. The good news is the report has been received very well by those it focussed on, the comms and co-comms guys. They appear to be open to the idea of learning and understanding more about it. It's really that simple, it doesn't even mean that they will be even able to change some of the descriptive they use but it makes them aware that they might be using them. It starts here though, being open to the possibilities that what they say might be reinforcing a stereotype without even knowing that they are.

There are some people who hold the opinion that the earth is flat, ignorant or an informed opinion?

As Tyler says, he works with loads of co-comms guys and not one of them has ever been trained to do that job, it's great that as a result of this report that there will be some training now.

Back
Top Bottom