Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I had an amusing “how far we have come” moment when I came across a YouTube from “Bobby Moore/George Best” timeframe (at a guess I would say late 60s, early 70s) with Alf Garnett and the action at the Bowlyn was Man Utd away & some of the language used on something that obviously was broadcast at some point.

I am not saying we have it all sorted now but we have to celebrate the change in minds and attitudes.
I 100% get your point. We have made progress but it's not the kind of thing that should be rewarded with a pat on the back. Sort of like getting praise for having stopped beating your wife...😆

I have absolutely no fucking idea what planet Aluko is living on. She wants 30% BAME representation in top level jobs in UK Sport. But BAME only make up between 10%-13% of the population (depending on what source you look at) in the UK. So she is aiming for disproportionate levels of BAME individuals in top level sport which would end up putting white people at a disadvantage?

The point we should be hammering home to everyone is that of EQUALITY. We should be striving towards giving everyone equal opportunities to reach the top level in all aspects of life. Not giving people an advantage in life because of the colour of someone's skin. The hypocrisy is mindblowing and in a just world, she'd be sacked.
Why do representative levels have to be proportionate to skin colour/ethnicity?
Everyone seems to be banging the skin tone shouldn't matter drum - which is what we all want.

I dont want weak, corrupt or hapless white people in charge or managing sporting development.
I want the best people doing it, irrespective of their skin tone. If you have the background, experience, track record or history in the sport with a relevant CV then you should be a contender.
If you dont, then regardless of background then you should be ignored.

Although we do actually live in a world where its evident people are NOT given equality BECAUSE of the colour of their skin. It's funny to me the heat and passion someone with NO power suggesting we try to rebalance, how ever temporarily , the systemic problem induces as supposed to the ACTUAL problem......
To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.”

I'm fully behind the broader cause, but affirmative discrimination is not the answer.... I've never heard a single progressively minded black person get behind it either.

I 100% get your point. We have made progress but it's not the kind of thing that should be rewarded with a pat on the back. Sort of like getting praise for having stopped beating your wife...😆

good analogy though! I am not a fan of sport becoming political or social warriors but I hated the early days of when I watched football in both Scotland and England and the attitudes conveyed.

People are going to be terrified of saying anything about a players attributes or impact on the game now. What if a black lad is having a stinker, does the white commentator say nothing? Or if a white player is having a mare and a black commentator is covering the game - what does he say?

One of the idiosyncrasies of human kind is clearly evident at the olympics, and that is that black athletes run faster than white/other athletes across virtually all distances, yet strangely white athletes seem to be better swimmers or field events competitors - what do commentators on those sports say now?

You can't just write off a commentary because it's visually accurate, because there are differences intrinsically in the physique, athleticism and physical profiles of people of different races. It isn't racist to say it, it's simply honest commentary.
You can't have read a single word of that piece. Ignorance is bliss.....

I have absolutely no fucking idea what planet Aluko is living on. She wants 30% BAME representation in top level jobs in UK Sport. But BAME only make up between 10%-13% of the population (depending on what source you look at) in the UK. So she is aiming for disproportionate levels of BAME individuals in top level sport which would end up putting white people at a disadvantage?

The point we should be hammering home to everyone is that of EQUALITY. We should be striving towards giving everyone equal opportunities to reach the top level in all aspects of life. Not giving people an advantage in life because of the colour of someone's skin. The hypocrisy is mindblowing and in a just world, she'd be sacked.
So why aren't we then?

You can't have read a single word of that piece. Ignorance is bliss.....
I read it all, and it doesn't present a path to enlightenment in my view, just a path to anodyne and vanilla commentary, based on ignoring or refusing to celebrate the advantages that some people enjoy.

Maybe you are the ignorant one Guido, or just too simple to understand the implications of this "research."

Why do representative levels have to be proportionate to skin colour/ethnicity?
Everyone seems to be banging the skin tone shouldn't matter drum - which is what we all want.

I dont want weak, corrupt or hapless white people in charge or managing sporting development.
I want the best people doing it, irrespective of their skin tone. If you have the background, experience, track record or history in the sport with a relevant CV then you should be a contender.
If you dont, then regardless of background then you should be ignored.
Spoken like a true white guy.

Disgusting post
enlighten me - how tiny does your mind have to be, to believe that I

a. Know who the poster is
b. Know where he lives
c. actually go to his house and for no discernable reason start beating his wife
d. and then go back repeatedly to keep doing it
e. and lose every time, but somehow believe that my behaviour is acceptable or that being beaten up by a woman I don't know, who is married to a man I've never met is a good way to live my life.

In fact you'd have to be dumber than shit to take any of it seriously at all, let alone be offended by it.

Actually don't bother, I really don't give a shit about what passes through that apology for a brain that sustains you.

b. Know where he lives
c. actually go to his house and for no discernable reason start beating his wife
e. and lose every time, but somehow believe that my behaviour is acceptable or that being beaten up by a woman I don't know, who is married to a man I've never met is a good way to live my life.

In fact you'd have to be dumber than shit to take any of it seriously at all, let alone be offended by it.

Actually don't bother, I really don't give a shit about what passes through that apology for a brain that sustains you.
ctrl/v

b. Know where he lives

hqdefault.jpg

Just a very weird comment to make
did it strike you as advocacy for either wife beating, or disciplining other peoples wives then?

I am really sorry that you don't find things that are ridiculous, funny, I do - and it would appear that the guy I responded too reallised that it was a daft joke as well.

However, people who think I am mean, like to find fault in everything I do, so I guess you just joined their club as well.

Well done you.

did it strike you as advocacy for either wife beating, or disciplining other peoples wives then?

I am really sorry that you don't find things that are ridiculous, funny, I do - and it would appear that the guy I responded too reallised that it was a daft joke as well.

However, people who think I am mean, like to find fault in everything I do, so I guess you just joined their club as well.

Well done you.

The thing about weird people is they don’t know they’re weird.

Back
Top Bottom