Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

cretinousgoat

Bow Lockes is sub human scum
Dynamo Kyiv stadium chief suggests segregating black fans ‘to combat racism’

A Ukrainian stadium director has proposed to combat racism on the terraces by segregating black supporters to avoid the scenes witnessed at Dynamo Kyiv’s recent Champions League draw with Chelsea.

Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Dynamo Kyiv, who are facing thee charges including one of racist behaviour by supporters at the Olympic Stadium. Footage of an apparent attack on four black fans was obtained by the anti-discrimination network Fare, and passed to Uefa’s disciplinary body.

And the director of Dynamo’s Olympic Stadium, Volodimir Spilchenko, has suggested that one of the potential solutions is to have a “black sector” in the ground.

“We are trying, maybe, to make a separate sector [for black fans] in order to avoid racism,” said Spilchecko in an interview reported by the Washington Post. Spilchenko also revealed that rather than coming up with the idea himself, it was proposed to him by a journalist, to which he replied: “We’ll probably listen to your offer.”

Piara Powar, executive director of Fare, told the Guardian of the footage during the Chelsea match: “This terrible incident reflects many of the continuing realities of football in central and eastern Europe. A report has been made to Uefa, who have regulatory responsibility for the match, and we will be lobbying for the strongest sanctions.”

:walker::pochfacepalm::pritchardeyes:

I'd like to see all pretty women segregated, stripped down and BT Sport's 'Klopp Cam' dedicated to showing that stand.

Should no pretty women be present, do not televise the game.

Dynamo Kyiv stadium chief suggests segregating black fans ‘to combat racism’

A Ukrainian stadium director has proposed to combat racism on the terraces by segregating black supporters to avoid the scenes witnessed at Dynamo Kyiv’s recent Champions League draw with Chelsea.

Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Dynamo Kyiv, who are facing thee charges including one of racist behaviour by supporters at the Olympic Stadium. Footage of an apparent attack on four black fans was obtained by the anti-discrimination network Fare, and passed to Uefa’s disciplinary body.

And the director of Dynamo’s Olympic Stadium, Volodimir Spilchenko, has suggested that one of the potential solutions is to have a “black sector” in the ground.

“We are trying, maybe, to make a separate sector [for black fans] in order to avoid racism,” said Spilchecko in an interview reported by the Washington Post. Spilchenko also revealed that rather than coming up with the idea himself, it was proposed to him by a journalist, to which he replied: “We’ll probably listen to your offer.”

Piara Powar, executive director of Fare, told the Guardian of the footage during the Chelsea match: “This terrible incident reflects many of the continuing realities of football in central and eastern Europe. A report has been made to Uefa, who have regulatory responsibility for the match, and we will be lobbying for the strongest sanctions.”

:walker::pochfacepalm::pritchardeyes:
This is 2015, right? Or have we suddenly time warped to a bygone era? Bloody hell. Shocking that the fool has even suggested it. Dear oh dear.

This is 2015, right? Or have we suddenly time warped to a bygone era? Bloody hell. Shocking that the fool has even suggested it. Dear oh dear.
spot on - its like the wall never came down. I think the only way to deal with this is to ban their clubs from all European competitions until the savages get the message.

I just couldn't quite believe what I was reading to be honest! Unbelievable attitude from that director. And sad, to be honest.
It's shocking but not uncommon, particularly for that area of Europe.

The attitudes towards ethnic minorities is appalling, and this confirms it.

The fact we allowed the Euro's to be held in Poland/Ukraine and the World Cup in Russia is pathetic, but just shows how little UEFA and FIFA care for their abysmal racism records.

spot on - its like the wall never came down. I think the only way to deal with this is to ban their clubs from all European competitions until the savages get the message.
Definitely. Like cretinousgoat cretinousgoat says, it's very sad indeed. Apartheid at football matches...in terms of offensive, hare brained nonsense, this takes the biscuit. I too hope they get a lengthy ban until they sort out their houses. Fucking segregating people on the basis of colour. What the hell?

Absolute Madness.

In the new ground i would like to see separate sections for the following fans:

Pro Y-Word.
Anti Y-Word.
Half Time Booers (I was saying boo-urns).
Bring Back Redknappers.
The Tactics Tim Win% Club.
Poch's "Berry Berry Happy" Brigade.
AVB's Beard Strokers.
Levy outs.
Happy Clappers.
Seventh Day New Stadium Deniers.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get shit for this, but as a purely short term measure this isn't necessarily as bad an idea as it appears, provided that those accompanying black fans, whatever their ethnicity, were also allowed in the segregated section.

Now hear me out before having fits. There were substantial reports of racism in the Ukraine leading up to Euro 2012, and it has been known to be a huge and violent problem within domestic football in their club stadiums. Indeed, it is a problem throughout Eastern Europe. The article makes it clear that the fight against racism in the country is a complete and utter shambles and that the official made his suggestion because there simply isn't an effective preventative structure in place.

Now, with the caveats of it being purely short term, and those accompanying black fans to also be allowed in the segregated area, I don't, in principle, think it would be a bad idea while the clubs and police there work to put in a more robust security situation for combating racist attacks as the alternative might be serious harm to supporters. That being said, due to the corruption in these countries and some of the inherent racism in higher echelons, I guess there is a risk that such a measure would not be purely short term and not be impacted by institutionalised racism, and to me that is where the problem would lie. But I'm not convinced that this suggestion was motivated by a desire for Deep South style segregation any more than Corbyn's women only train carriages was motivated by misogyny. It just think it was a poorly thought out remark.

I'm gonna get shit for this, but as a purely short term measure this isn't necessarily as bad an idea as it appears, provided that those accompanying black fans, whatever their ethnicity, were also allowed in the segregated section.

Now hear me out before having fits. There were substantial reports of racism in the Ukraine leading up to Euro 2012, and it has been known to be a huge and violent problem within domestic football in their club stadiums. Indeed, it is a problem throughout Eastern Europe. The article makes it clear that the fight against racism in the country is a complete and utter shambles and that the official made his suggestion because there simply isn't an effective preventative structure in place.

Now, with the caveats of it being purely short term, and those accompanying black fans to also be allowed in the segregated area, I don't, in principle, think it would be a bad idea while the clubs and police there work to put in a more robust security situation for combating racist attacks as the alternative might be serious harm to supporters. That being said, due to the corruption in these countries and some of the inherent racism in higher echelons, I guess there is a risk that such a measure would not be purely short term and not be impacted by institutionalised racism, and to me that is where the problem would lie. But I'm not convinced that this suggestion was motivated by a desire for Deep South style segregation any more than Corbyn's women only train carriages was motivated by misogyny. It just think it was a poorly thought out remark.
You're right, you are going to get shit for that! :dembelewtf:

Segregating fans based on ethnicity is neither a short or long term solution. By putting them all in Block 28, you're giving the racist fans exactly what they want. How would they ever get them back into other areas of the stadium again? How would that procedure even work...do they have to say they're black when buying a ticket therefore being allocated a particular seat?

Do you honestly think the fans in segregated areas wouldn't get singled out by chants from other areas of the stadium? We may as well cage them and remove any toilet facilities from their area as well.

You're taking a million steps back in time if you're advocating this, even for one game.

Here's a couple of solutions - if fans of all ethnicities, religions and races cannot get along, then fans should be banned from that club until they can, whether it be a week, a month or a year. On top of that, deduct points. As soon as fans can't watch their beloved club, and they directly affect their league position, I'm sure they'll stop.

I'm sure the black fans who have been brave enough to still attend matches despite the real threat of verbal AND physical abuse will love being reminded about segregated society and THEN being told that it's for their own good!

Four friends travel to a match - two white and two black only to be told on entry that they will be separated for their own safety? No. Better not to play these clubs at all. Football isn't that important.

Back
Top Bottom