Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah well suck it up, it's taken us fucking years to get to this point and we're talking about a period by the way where there was no profit and sustainability rules nor were there any fit and proper tests so cash rich owners could just come in and launder their cash in clubs like Chelsea and City...did we play their game?, nope...but what we did do is play by the rules and now we've reached this point where we are apart of the established top 6...so you moaning about the fact that can't join the elite - how about you do the fucking hard yards like us first and run your club properly - that's what I mean by joining the queue.
Again, I swear there must be a filter here. I'm not saying we should be allowed to spend unlimited monies, I'm saying the current PSR isn't in line with inflation. And that it's effect is not what was originally intended.

Again, I swear there must be a filter here. I'm not saying we should be allowed to spend unlimited monies, I'm saying the current PSR isn't in line with inflation. And that it's effect is not what was originally intended.

Regardless of the fact my point still stands.

Is there some sort of filter on here I don't know about? I know Chelsea and Man City spent without limit in an unsporting fashion. I don't want Newcastle to do that. Hell I don't even want to get into massive club-threatening debt like Man Utd.

When we we linked with some rich, immoral cunts buying us the vast majority were against it. Personally I'd sooner Levy every day of the week, especially the fuckers that bought you. I'd be outraged. That you aren't says a lot about you.

With the wealth that the owners have, the club is not going to be fucked in the future. If Ashley had tried this, we may well have been. But it's like having £1m knocking about in your bank account and wanting to build a loft extension for £60k and the neighbourhood watch telling you that you can't.

Yeah, having wealth doesn't mean you should be allowed to jump to the front of the table. And in your ludicrous example, if you had £1m in your sky rocket and the neighbourhood watch saying you can't, that's actually a thing. You need planning permission and consent to have a loft conversion, you can't just do it and notice has to be given to neighbours, who can object. This is, by proxy, what PSR is.

Back in the 1970s, Liverpool did exactly what Chelsea and Man City did. Woolwich did it in the 30s, so did Sunderland in the 40s and 50s, so did Blackburn and Newcastle in the 90s.

So Liverpool are adding to solid foundations, built on outrageous spending.

What Liverpool did in 1970 has fuck all to do with the current era outside of reputation and nostalgia.

It's hardly blowing their load, now is it? With the extra money from Champions League, Adidas, other commercial partners, we'll have more room next summer. We did finish bottom of the group of death, it's true. No shame though, inexperience and small squad meant we couldn't compete with PSG, Dortmund and AC Milan over 180 minutes.

Had we had better luck with injuries (and had Tonali not been a very stupid boy) I think we could have fared better in the CL, and certainly better in the PL.

Honestly, nobody cares fella.

Just stop making excuses for your doped up club. Cheers.

When we we linked with some rich, immoral cunts buying us the vast majority were against it. Personally I'd sooner Levy every day of the week, especially the fuckers that bought you. I'd be outraged. That you aren't says a lot about you.
I get that, and had we not hated the previous owner so much maybe there would have been less acquiescence to the Saudis. Had there not been similar (but not as bad) owners in the PL already, perhaps we would have been more against it. But Staveley saw in us a club that had potential to grow, with a fanbase so desperate for change that any resistance would be from a minority and would be quiet.

Had we a choice between the Saudis and some random American billionaire I'd wager more would have been keen on the yank than the murderers.

Yeah, having wealth doesn't mean you should be allowed to jump to the front of the table. And in your ludicrous example, if you had £1m in your sky rocket and the neighbourhood watch saying you can't, that's actually a thing. You need planning permission and consent to have a loft conversion, you can't just do it and notice has to be given to neighbours, who can object. This is, by proxy, what PSR is.
Only need planning permission if you're changing the roof height or shape. Only need to inform neighbours if you're impacting party walls.

That aside, PSR isn't that, PSR is "No, know your place, stay in the queue"

What Liverpool did in 1970 has fuck all to do with the current era outside of reputation and nostalgia.
It does have something to do with the current era because Liverpool spent a fortune to 'jump the queue' and bully their way to the top table, then simply kept topping up every now and then.

It's hardly blowing their load, now is it? With the extra money from Champions League, Adidas, other commercial partners, we'll have more room next summer. We did finish bottom of the group of death, it's true. No shame though, inexperience and small squad meant we couldn't compete with PSG, Dortmund and AC Milan over 180 minutes.

Had we had better luck with injuries (and had Tonali not been a very stupid boy) I think we could have fared better in the CL, and certainly better in the PL.
400m NET spend in a short period of time is blowing your load, no matter how you frame it. You've taken a short cut. I don't know if you're embarrased by it or something, but denying it is fucking pitiful.

Your "commercial partners" are part of your own parent company. I mean, it's not exactly well hidden is it? With the absurd amount of money that comes to Premier League clubs, the sponsorships, your 52,000 capacity stadium the fact is you shouldn't be making a loss at all - forget whining you're only allowed to lose £100m.

Sick of this whinging. How are you not getting this, you're on the forum of a club who has built steadily and slowly and in the so-called "Big 6" off the backs of pure effort and years of watching other teams spend money like water whereas we laid the off the pitch foundations first.

I don't care if you think it's unfair you don't get to just buy your way in. It was shit when City did it, it was shit when the Chavs did it and your whinging is fucking unbearable.

The thing is there's nothing stopping Newcastle becoming a club that can establish themselves in the top echelon of the PL, they have the fanbase, they have the stadium, they can attract good players and they're a big club in their own right so any Newcastle fan having a pop at the rules can do one and learn to sit and wait patiently whilst your club grown organically.

It does have something to do with the current era because Liverpool spent a fortune to 'jump the queue' and bully their way to the top table, then simply kept topping up every now and then.
It then took them 30 years before they won the league again. Ergo no impact - they've been wildly successful in cups of course, but that it took them 30 years to win the league title says a lot, both about them and the competition they find themselves against.

It then took them 30 years before they won the league again. Ergo no impact - they've been wildly successful in cups of course, but that it took them 30 years to win the league title says a lot, both about them and the competition they find themselves against.
They won 11 league titles in 18yrs between 1972 and 1990. They've finished outside the top 5 in only 8 seasons since then.

Since the 70s cash injection into the squad they have been competing at the top, earning better commercial deals, winning trophies to increase their renown, attracting better players. They bought their seat at the top table, and haven't moved away since.

They won 11 league titles in 18yrs between 1972 and 1990. They've finished outside the top 5 in only 8 seasons since then.

Since the 70s cash injection into the squad they have been competing at the top, earning better commercial deals, winning trophies to increase their renown, attracting better players. They bought their seat at the top table, and haven't moved away since.

If it's that easy; why didn't you capitalise in the 90s?

King Kev
Shearer
Lotsa dosh
'BIG fanbase'
1 club city

......???????????????

You've gone from having a huge amount of wriggle room due to years of austerity, to not being able to sign anyone and moaning about not having any mates, because you've used all that wriggle room up for one not so glorious stab at CL football...

Yeah, I'd say that's blowing their load.

Had they taken a slower burn approach they could have built up the club infrastructure, gotten good value from the market, engaged in some smart player trading for a couple of years like Brighton ( who btw aren't forced to sell anyone due to the rules, they'd just be stupid not to bite Chelsea's hand off when offered £100m+ for a player they'd signed for peanuts a year before...) and progressed through the lower level Euro competitions, building the capability of achieving and succeeding in CL over time, whilst maintaining a decent amount of wiggle room wrt FFP.

But no, screw organic growth when you can make huge statement signings like Bruno, Isaak and... Anthony Gordon.

You've gone from having a huge amount of wriggle room due to years of austerity, to not being able to sign anyone and moaning about not having any mates, because you've used all that wriggle room up for one not so glorious stab at CL football...

Yeah, I'd say that's blowing their load.
We can definitely sign someone, so I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. According the Kieran Maguire we could buy a £30m player 'without it touching the sides' in terms of PSR. The issue is the so called 'Newcastle Tax' and the outdated PSR restrictions. If they were up to date, we could spend more. The Newcastle Tax refers to us being; a PL club, with a reputation for being the richest club in the world, who're currently decimated with injuries. Big clubs don't want to help out a threat to the status quo, chasing pack don't want to help a team they're in direct competition with and the rest don't want to help out a team who's currently vulnerable. Which I get and don't have a problem with.
Had they taken a slower burn approach they could have built up the club infrastructure, gotten good value from the market, engaged in some smart player trading for a couple of years like Brighton ( who btw aren't forced to sell anyone due to the rules, they'd just be stupid not to bite Chelsea's hand off when offered £100m+ for a player they'd signed for peanuts a year before...) and progressed through the lower level Euro competitions, building the capability of achieving and succeeding in CL over time, whilst maintaining a decent amount of wiggle room wrt FFP.

But no, screw organic growth when you can make huge statement signings like Bruno, Isaak and... Anthony Gordon.
So we should have thrown games to avoid the Champions League, or failed to strengthen in this summer after achieving CL football for the first time in 20yrs?

Had we progressed from the group stage (which we were 30 minutes away from) the rewards would have been huge, both in renown and revenue. It absolutely made football and financial sense to make a go of it. Unfortunately, injuries and suspension scuppered us. C'est la vie.

I don't have a problem with any of our transfers, none of them are Robinho-type signings, nearly all of them have worked out and/or have significant resale value. The only ones with question marks for me are Wood and Lewis Hall. One we offloaded for £15m, the other is a loan deal with an option to buy.

We can definitely sign someone, so I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. According the Kieran Maguire we could buy a £30m player 'without it touching the sides' in terms of PSR. The issue is the so called 'Newcastle Tax' and the outdated PSR restrictions. If they were up to date, we could spend more. The Newcastle Tax refers to us being; a PL club, with a reputation for being the richest club in the world, who're currently decimated with injuries. Big clubs don't want to help out a threat to the status quo, chasing pack don't want to help a team they're in direct competition with and the rest don't want to help out a team who's currently vulnerable. Which I get and don't have a problem with.

So we should have thrown games to avoid the Champions League, or failed to strengthen in this summer after achieving CL football for the first time in 20yrs?

Had we progressed from the group stage (which we were 30 minutes away from) the rewards would have been huge, both in renown and revenue. It absolutely made football and financial sense to make a go of it. Unfortunately, injuries and suspension scuppered us. C'est la vie.

I don't have a problem with any of our transfers, none of them are Robinho-type signings, nearly all of them have worked out and/or have significant resale value. The only ones with question marks for me are Wood and Lewis Hall. One we offloaded for £15m, the other is a loan deal with an option to buy.
You had £400m of wiggle room and now your manager is saying that you can't buy Dominic Solanke, the Newcastle tax is nothing to do with how massive you are, it's because you were dumb enough to lump near enough £50m on Anthony Gordon...

You burned through all of your FFP wiggle room building a first team that was just good enough to clinch CL in a season where 4/5 teams were uncharacteristically bad, it's nothing to do with throwing games, it's that you went from signing Chris Wood one window, to blasting something like £70m on Isaak the next.

There's nothing organic or sustainable about that approach.

Whoopee, some guy on twitter reckons you can spend £30m on one player, maybe he should tell Eddie Howe that so he can stop crying to the media.

Back
Top Bottom