Come here to laugh at Nu-Castle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will be interesting to see if there's a reaction from UEFA or the historic European super-clubs. This isn't going to be welcomed by likes of Madrid, Juve or Barca any more than by Utd or Liverpool. I guess that was the point of the super league...to remove the threat of this kind of thing to the old order. Maybe the ESL idea isn't completely dead?

Will be interesting to see if there's a reaction from UEFA or the historic European super-clubs. This isn't going to be welcomed by likes of Madrid, Juve or Barca any more than by Utd or Liverpool. I guess, after all, that was the point of the super league... so maybe that isn't completely dead?
The problem is that FIFA could still ban any player participating in a super league from international football.

Plus we really don't want to see a super league. It would be even worse than what happened today.

The problem is that FIFA could still ban any player participating in a super league from international football.

Plus we really don't want to see a super league. It would be even worse than what happened today.
I don't want that either. Most people I think just want effective FFP, but when City won their legal battle, the old order gave up on UEFA. ESL was the response. Not sure what's worse but watching Saudi buying football glory is pretty bad.

Will be interesting to see if there's a reaction from UEFA or the historic European super-clubs. This isn't going to be welcomed by likes of Madrid, Juve or Barca any more than by Utd or Liverpool. I guess that was the point of the super league...to remove the threat of this kind of thing to the old order. Maybe the ESL idea isn't completely dead?
Levy hopes so

Otherwise we’re going to get left behind

Football is fucked

I'm legitimately surprised you didn't realize Barca was a membership club. But yeah.

If I were the Saudis, you'd have to be looking at clubs located somewhere people (themselves namely) actually want to go. So either of the Milan clubs (conveniently both in financial crisis), Marseilles, Fulham, Spurs, Everton, maaaaybe Southampton, any number of Spanish clubs you could get your hands on.

Really, there's not anywhere in France, Italy, or Spain I can think of thats worse than fucking Newcastle. It'll be funny to see SkySports show a live view of the Saudi prince taking in his club's home opening fixture....on the tele from his flat in West London.

The degree to which the Saudis taking over Newcastle will inflate salaries will be mind boggling. If you're Haaland and you're offered X to play in London for Chelsea, surely some already embarrassing figure...how much more do you need to go to Newcastle? 150%? 200%?
Yeah I always hear Dortmund & the German teams being owned by fans but never heard Barcelona were. Not afraid to admit it.
Especially as they are in massive debt as I associated fan owned with being pretty sensibly run like the German sides.
So I guess they messed up by for voting in people who then overspent.

Yeah I always thought they go for good locations so I am surprised about them picking Newcastle. Yep, you would think Newcastle will need to pay at least double the wages to compensate for the drop in levels that teams like city & Chelsea can offer. It does also highlight which players are 💯 about the money. I should have just said mercenaries.
I’ve heard the likes of rashford mentioned but I don’t think he will drop down just for more £££. So they will still get a lot of players saying no. But obviously many saying yes please!

Will be interesting to see if there's a reaction from UEFA or the historic European super-clubs. This isn't going to be welcomed by likes of Madrid, Juve or Barca any more than by Utd or Liverpool. I guess that was the point of the super league...to remove the threat of this kind of thing to the old order.

Indeed.

Maybe the ESL idea isn't completely dead?

It never was dead.

Absolutely not.

Domestically, not sure the ramifications are as far apart as it looks on paper tho'.

Lots of stuttering and mild panic answering those questions. Like a cat trying to bury shit in the kitchen.

She literally LOOKS like a cat too.........

29837496-8441719-Amanda_Staveley_who_once_dated_Prince_Andrew_claims_the_bank_owe-m-32_1592604911205.jpg

W37977.jpg

Some BAAAAD plastic surgey going on there......

Yeah I always hear Dortmund & the German teams being owned by fans but never heard Barcelona were. Not afraid to admit it.
Especially as they are in massive debt as I associated fan owned with being pretty sensibly run like the German sides.
So I guess they messed up by for voting in people who then overspent.

Yeah I always thought they go for good locations so I am surprised about them picking Newcastle. Yep, you would think Newcastle will need to pay at least double the wages to compensate for the drop in levels that teams like city & Chelsea can offer. It does also highlight which players are 💯 about the money. I should have just said mercenaries.
I’ve heard the likes of rashford mentioned but I don’t think he will drop down just for more £££. So they will still get a lot of players saying no. But obviously many saying yes please!
I think all of these "projects" are the same, even City when they first started this before Abu Dhabi threw it in overdrive. You start by over spending on a few "name" donkies, manager included. Just spunking a ton of cash theoretically puts you near the CL. You have to show commitment to spunking the cash over a couple seasons, then try to appoint a quality manager/DoF to show your ambition and hopefully turn the heads of the better players.

The problem being, each time this comes up its harder to do. Chelsea got in first, no one could really compete with Abramovich's wallet so he didn't have the same breaking in period. City took some warming up because players could still go to Chelsea or United at the time, who had better recent success, so they had to well overpay and stick at it even when they weren't getting results. PSG arguably is still at least partially in the "overpay donkies" phase, though they have some crown jewels too. The league holds them back more than anything, but I think the financial collapse of Barca will give them a jolt.

But Newcastle is in Newcastle. And they'll have to outbid United, Chelsea, and City (in ascending order of stupidity excess) for players. TBF, I think it'll all look a joke. The best players will swerve them in general, just look at Ronaldo basically pimping City to get the deal he wanted at United. They'll be used by the best players' agents just to get raises at better clubs. And they'll be paying £400k pw for the likes of Richarlison

Back
Top Bottom