Commentators/pundits

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Couple more from the thread, to long to fit into one post.....

No surprise that Gazza's "school boys own stuff" gets the most likes. Also has our relegation fight, get's that 100% spot on with our reaction as fans!

Barry Davies is 80!

Adam Hurley has put together a great thread on Twitter, sorry I'm going to post it all!

I think there was plenty of inspiration from Barry Davies for Alan Partridge's World Cup Countdown, desk of Sport, on The Day Today, but in a really good way, a kind of warm embrace. The bloke is absolute class.

I think there was plenty of inspiration from Barry Davies for Alan Partridge's World Cup Countdown, desk of Sport, on The Day Today, but in a really good way, a kind of warm embrace. The bloke is absolute class.

The fact he was a Spurs fan also makes some of that commentary all the more sweeter. That Gazza free kick against Woolwich will go down as one of my all time favourites.

So it's Motson's final live game tomorrow, seems to be the longest good bye, even longer than West Ham's leaving of Upton Park. Lovely man, not my favourite commentator and in recent years he's been really poor. But without a doubt he has become an icon of the game.

I spend most of my time hating commentators, I can't stand the passion killers on English TV, main culprits tend to be Tildsley, Mowbry, Wilson, Peace & Fletcher (I much prefer radio coms than TV and will often have them on instead especially if it's MacNamara & Godwin)
So where is this waffle taking me, PETER DURY, that's where. I switched over to the Roma game last night and not only was it a terrific game but it was made all the better for Dury's commentary. Our finest commentator, no matter you the team that's playing too, he brings you into the game, takes you into the stadium. Why oh why do we have to suffer with Tildsly and Hoddle bore the shit out of us?

Last edited:
I spend most of my time hating commentators, I can't stand the passion killers on English TV, main culprits tend to be Tildsley, Mowbry, Wilson, Peace & Fletcher (I much prefer radio coms than TV and will often have them on instead especially if it's MacNamara & Godwin)
So where is this waffle taking me, PETER DURY, that's where. I switched over to the Roma game last night and not only was it a terrific game but it was made all the better for Dury's commentary. Our finest commentator, no matter you the team that's playing too, he brings you into the game, takes you into the stadium. Why oh why do we have to suffer with Tildsly and Hoddle bore the shit out of us?

Thought his closing lines about Rome being a city myths was very poetic. I completely agree great commentator.

So it's Motson's final live game tomorrow, seems to be the longest good bye, even longer than West Ham's leaving of Upton Park. Lovely man, not my favourite commentator and in recent years he's been really poor. But without a doubt he has become an icon of the game.

That was beautiful. I'm on a quayside in Kristiansund delaying my return to the worksite. I can't be arsed. This was just the tonic

Barry Davies was always a class act. I remember him commentating on a UEFA Cup Final, I think it was. Red Star Belgrade were one of the sides as I remember. The game was utter shite as both sides were playing for penalties right from the start. Davies didn't sugar coat the situation at all, just told it like it was, said it was disgraceful. It actually helped to hear the commentator saying that, as opposed to most times where their bullshit just winds you up even more.

Back
Top Bottom