Conference league or bust?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would be your preference for next season?

• Europa Conference League

• No Europe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which is ironic, given its the only country that operates its own second rate domestic cup competition.

What has always blown me away is most of the people that talk crap about the EL/EC are the same people that will defend the existence of the League Cup.

LC final this season: Manchester United vs Newcastle United. Two of the current English top 4.

Conference league final: probably Fiorentina vs West Ham.

If we are in it with the intent to win it then I'm all for it, if we are going to disrespect it like the domestic trophies i would rather not bother.

We need trophies.
I think it's this

If we are in it, then take it seriously for God's sake.

If were s much better than all the other teams then it should just be a light training session for all our megastars.

If were just going to play kids and not take it seriously then don't bother. It will be just another stick to beat us with when we inevitably go out against the first decent te we play

I’d rather we threw it all to try and win an FA or League Cup next season and have a proper day out at Wembley.

I’d rather we threw it all to try and win an FA or League Cup next season and have a proper day out at Wembley.

Wouldn't you rather be playing at the iconic Fortuna Arena in Prague? Capacity of 19k!

The Conference League is a fucking joke. It was made for the West Ham's or Basel's of this world, we're a Europa League club at worst.

This competition had no prestige last year

It will have even less winning it next year

West ham's sloppy seconds , fuck that

Wouldn't you rather be playing at the iconic Fortuna Arena in Prague? Capacity of 19k!

The Conference League is a fucking joke. It was made for the West Ham's or Basel's of this world, we're a Europa League club at worst.

When we won the Audi Cup I didn’t think great this puts us on the map.

Fine if we send the assistant manager and youth team but it will otherwise affect our league and FA/League Cup chances. We always get spread thin and end up with nothing.

Not true at all. The fact that last season's final was Roma vs Feyenoord proves that good teams do take it seriously.

Feyenoord were the 3rd best team in the Eredivisie last season. That's not a particularly 'good' team - their budget is equivalent to a Championship club.

Roma took it seriously because Jose is a man who acts like the community shield is a CL final and that's where his career is at.

Thanks for this thread!

I voted for ECL because I believe the competition is well established and for that reason alone is not "inferior".

(Warning everyone: here I go again, check with your doctor or pharmacist...before reading!)

Tottenham Hotspur - a name like Donnerhall (for me and many others here in Germany) belongs in European competitions.
The history of this club is terrific!
These fans are role models for me (I would have loved to have been with you at the CL game in Frankfurt - but the old love is still there)!

Are we as aloof as Franz Beckenbauer, who once described the UEFA Cup as the "Losers' Cup"?
Would be bad!

Whether it is "only" the PL, only the "ECL", only the "EL" or whether it is the CL (where we will definitely play again in the near future) is completely irrelevant to me!
It's about showing England, Great Britain, Europe and the rest of the world (!) that we exist!
ALWAYS!

If we "only" qualify for the ECL - a pity - but SO WHAT?
Then we should try to win this pot too!
Because we are who!

Let's not make the mistake that my club Eintracht Frankfurt makes.
The trainer is counted on by the board of directors, even though we have been in the fourth final for 6 years since 2017!
Here, one of the board members wants to make himself important, meet the coach because we didn't qualify for a European competition through the league.
Modesty, humility - that would be good for this board member who only strives for his own power!

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!!

(FORZA SGE!!!!)

Feyenoord were the 3rd best team in the Eredivisie last season. That's not a particularly 'good' team - their budget is equivalent to a Championship club.

Roma took it seriously because Jose is a man who acts like the community shield is a CL final and that's where his career is at.
No, Feyenoord are a good a team and they're going to win the Eredivisie this year. I also don't see what relevance Mourinho has to anything - my argument was that good teams do take it seriously and Roma are a good team, no?

We get to an ECL Semi-Final or Final next season and the whole mood surrounding this competition will shift, people on here will suddenly be taking it very seriously.

I do agree with you to some extent, but it doesn't take away the fact they we're actually struggling to be in Europa League. This tournament is going to be here for the foreseeable future.

So we either need to get used to it or improve. Can't be going about throwing games to avoid a competition and hoping we don't finish 7th. You have to be good enough to finish above 7th but we've had a shit season.

Let's hope we qualify for EL.

But if we qualify for ECL I'd imagine if done correctly it will be used for squad rotation and giving youngsters a chance until the later stages then depending on where we're at in season our priorities may change.

We used to look down on the EL but because the Prem is so competitive it's become respected again. Who knows how teams will view it in few years time

Last edited:
No, Feyenoord are a good a team and they're going to win the Eredivisie this year. I also don't see what relevance Mourinho has to anything - my argument was that good teams do take it seriously and Roma are a good team, no?

We get to an ECL Semi-Final or Final next season and the whole mood surrounding this competition will shift, people on here will suddenly be taking it very seriously.

They're ok. There's a reason they're in the Conference League, the Eredivisie is extremely weak.

Roma are OK. 7th best team in Italy this season. The 4 finalists this year are Fiorentina, West Ham, Basel and AZ.

And to get the opportunity to play these vaunted names, you have to fight your way through Slovakia, Romania and Hungary...

I voted for the ECL, for years we ditched the Europa cup when there was a real opportunities to win that competition, wasted years, wasted talent. We don't have a winning culture at the club, every cup competition we are in the aim should be to win but being a runner up is all many care about. Look how many years people have been saying that we don't have the squad to cope with lesser competitions. CL was supposed to elevate us to the point where we could sign great players to win trophies but that plan failed.
If we were a club that wins trophies all the time..then yea fuck this cup. But for a club like ours that doesnt have some trophy winning tradition ..beggars cant be choosers.

And to get the opportunity to play these vaunted names, you have to fight your way through Slovakia, Romania and Hungary...
I guess I'm in the minority here but I always found those group matches against the lesser-known teams from the far reaches of Europe interesting. Really fun for away fans too.

I went to Maribor back in the early Europa League days and it was one of the best away trips I've ever had.

LC final this season: Manchester United vs Newcastle United. Two of the current English top 4.

Conference league final: probably Fiorentina vs West Ham.
Yep, I knew you'd very counted among the bizarre group.

Non-sensical statement. If Manchester United and Newcastle United had been in the ECL, you believe they wouldn't have made the final? As it is, the 2 entries from 2 of the 3 highest European coefficient leagues are contesting the final.

You really think Spurs are too good for a trophy that might be won by West Ham? Us of our 3 trophies in over 30 years, only 1 of which, and the oldest at over 30 years ago, didn't come from the second rate league cup.

Back
Top Bottom