Copa America 2024 ⚽🏆⚽

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I had to suffer through the US feed for that game, and the announcers were so unprofessional. Constantly whining and complaining, taking shots at Canada for getting through despite only scoring once and just overall bitching. Meanwhile the US scored zero goals in a must-win game and had a whopping three shots on target.

The best part of the night was when they put the VAR lines on the screen to show that the Uruguay goal was good and the colour guy said "well...that line just isn't straight" in a defeated tone.

Inject Fran Healy GIF by Travis

I had to suffer through the US feed for that game, and the announcers were so unprofessional. Constantly whining and complaining, taking shots at Canada for getting through despite only scoring once and just overall bitching. Meanwhile the US scored zero goals in a must-win game and had a whopping three shots on target.

The best part of the night was when they put the VAR lines on the screen to show that the Uruguay goal was good and the colour guy said "well...that line just isn't straight" in a defeated tone.

Trust me, even US supporters also have to suffer through the US feed of these games. They're mind-bogglingly terrible.

That part about the line not being straight made me laugh out loud when I was watching.

The officiating was off the charts terrible but the commentary was arguably worse.

That part about the line not being straight made me laugh out loud when I was watching.

The officiating was off the charts terrible but the commentary was arguably worse.
I do think they took the wrong frame for drawing the lines though. Seems like they were using the frame where the ball was first meeting the players head (or just before) and the next frame was as the ball was leaving the players head. Would have made a difference to the individual call, but wouldn’t have made a difference to the overall outcome. Gotta send Berhalter packing.

I do think they took the wrong frame for drawing the lines though. Seems like they were using the frame where the ball was first meeting the players head (or just before) and the next frame was as the ball was leaving the players head. Would have made a difference to the individual call, but wouldn’t have made a difference to the overall outcome. Gotta send Berhalter packing.

Sure, but this is just "the usual" VAR shenanigans. Like you can't get the time the ball leaves a players foot (or head) down to the instant, but we're checking for a toe across the line. There's no advantage there, but for some reason the powers that be have implemented this anyway.

Regardless, let's not let this take away from our enjoyment of the US crashing out and Canada being the big dogs in CONCACAF (or CONMEBOL, or whatever we are these days)!

I genuinely think that fact that US hid behind the success of USNWT for so long ( see we're not shit at 'soccer ') elevating their -huge - achievements whilst simultaneously not ever actually acknowledging ( this is fact not a criticism in any way of the woman's game) the essentially amateur nature of the opposition they were beating, seriously set back the mens game.

The WSL was founded in 2010, the Germans were better earlier 1990 but with gates around 2k still pretty small. At least the US college system and huge participation of girls in college gives them a good base. But mens soccer has to compete with so many huge sports. And the history of its myriad leagues is such that I think they will be a few more decades before they can go into a Coppa and really compete.

I watched that game and the coach has to go. I'd also bin a few of the so called bigger names. The USMNT lacks an identity

Last edited:
Brazil are not what they used to be. I think Uruguay beat them in the quarterfinal, while Argentina and Columbia advance; and probably Venezuela although Canada could pull the upset. My prediction for the final is b Argentina vs either Colombia or Uruguay.

Back
Top Bottom