Corners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

AberdeenYid

I'm very rarely proud of myself
Ive seen a few mentions of our lack of goals from corners against Villa and several other teams this season. However bad the stats may look when we get shitloads of corners, the fact is that teams very rarely score from corners at all, not just us.

As an example, figures from last season show that only one in five corners led to a shot on goal within three touches. How did those shots get on? One in nine hit the net.

That means that we should expect a goal every fifty corners or thereabouts. Taking further into account our physicality (not the tallest squad), this increases further to the seventy mark.

We probably are averaging a goal for over seventy corners, but not too far over this, I'd have thought.

Incidentally, the top four teams for converting corners into goals last season were Fulham, West Brom, Blackburn and Blackpool and they all had brilliant seasons......

Our corner taking may be an issue, but it's a small one.

so looking at how many corners we go through before scoring heck we should be scoring every 7/8 games or so from a header. and going on yesterdays stats we should score every 3/4 games :gio:

durbanspur said:
so looking at how many corners we go through before scoring heck we should be scoring every 7/8 games or so from a header. and going on yesterdays stats we should score every 3/4 games :gio:
Yesterday was a bit freakish. And the stats aren't for headers, they are for goals scored within three or less touches by the attacking team after a corner is taken. I'd bet we score a goal like this maybe every eighty or so corners, so one in every ten games. Still shite though.

The problem isn't so much not scoring from them, although, despite what you say, we should score more...it's the repetitive failure of our corners to even cause concern for the opposition.

I have no idea what they are attempting half the time but instead of aiming for Player A they should just stick it in and around the penalty spot and not the knees of the first man...

Dannyboy said:
I have no idea what they are attempting half the time but instead of aiming for Player A they should just stick it in and around the penalty spot and not the knees of the first man...

I agree that the inability to miss the guy at the front post is annoying as fuckery, but the answer isn't to lump into the middle. I'd like to see us knock it thirty yards back towards our own goal, to Modric, Rafa, Bale, someone creative. This would mean we have a creative player in possession thirty yards out. Not too shabby. More chance of scoring like that than speculative lumps into the middle.

Those extra goals, how minimal they may be from corners, may have resulted in extra points and meant we have already picked up third place instead of sweating on fourth still. Its the little things that turn a good team into a great team.

Back
Top Bottom