Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What level of singing would this be for us? A, B or C level?
You'd hope B+ or A. You can make the right signing, it doesn't mean it will turn out well. Who would have expected Mendy to be such a flunk for City, or Keita at Liverpool, or Partey to have such a dud of a first season? They looked like exciting players suited to the coach.

Ndombele and Lo Celso were great signings for us at the time and it hasn't really turned out that way.. both may yet come good, or they might never perform to the level expected of them.

So it's tough to say. But it's as good a signing as we could be attempting to make. I'd only have Kounde ahead of him, and maybe Lacroix there and abouts.

Who would have expected Partey to have such a dud of a first season?

giphy.gif

I think as a signing Romero would be an A signing, doesn't mean it is guaranteed that it will work out but if fits what we need and the talent is high enough that he is good to play for any club in the world. Not much more you can ask for.

Out of the CB's out there I think only Kounde is a player I would take over him, maybe Varane but his age and price likely are not as good a fit for us. Outside of that I think Romero is likely better than any other option we could get at CB.

You'd hope B+ or A. You can make the right signing, it doesn't mean it will turn out well. Who would have expected Mendy to be such a flunk for City, or Keita at Liverpool, or Partey to have such a dud of a first season? They looked like exciting players suited to the coach.

Ndombele and Lo Celso were great signings for us at the time and it hasn't really turned out that way.. both may yet come good, or they might never perform to the level expected of them.

So it's tough to say. But it's as good a signing as we could be attempting to make. I'd only have Kounde ahead of him, and maybe Lacroix there and abouts.
I agree. We're also potentially getting some good combos to help new signings adapt to England & the PL, in the tradition of Ardiles & Villa, and Modric & Corluka.

Lamela may have gone, but GLC and Romero are Argentine international teammates, and Bryan Gil & Reguilon share their Sevilla & Spanish background.

But let's hope it's more the Belgian team spirit of Verts, Toby & Chadli, than the French Mafia of Sissoko, Aurier & Tanguy.

A section of Atalanta ultras have started protesting the potential sale/Atalanta's president seemingly selling players out of "lack of ambition".

Haha, fair enough, he's not a 60m player but he's quite good with the right players around him. Dani Ceballos and Mohamed Elneny were not that.
There's so much garbage in that squad.

It's hilarious, but it's also scary because that could be us in a heartbeat if we don't make wise decisions over the next year or two.

From what I've heard and seen, Romero is a very good defender, sticks his body on the line ect but he had his faults, distribution can be wayward and on occasions gets caught out of position.
We'll have to see.

Every time someone brings up “I’m not sure and what if he turns out like his countryman X” about a potential foreign signing, Just remember that this is the club that Spent big moolah on the likes of Ben Thatcher, Darren Bent, David Bentley, Alan Hutton and Matt Doherty

We’ve had just as many English/British Isles players that have been underwhelming and/or flat out duds!

From what I've heard and seen, Romero is a very good defender, sticks his body on the line ect but he had his faults, distribution can be wayward and on occasions gets caught out of position.
We'll have to see.
Sounds like Sanchez

And still we are paying over 40 mill? I'd expect better at that price tbh

Every time someone brings up “I’m not sure and what if he turns out like his countryman X” about a potential foreign signing, Just remember that this is the club that Spent big moolah on the likes of Ben Thatcher, Darren Bent, David Bentley, Alan Hutton and Matt Doherty

We’ve had just as many English/British Isles players that have been underwhelming and/or flat out duds!
The vast majority of our bad signings have been the ones we have spent a lot of money on. We tend to do better when we spend less.

The vast majority of our bad signings have been the ones we have spent a lot of money on. We tend to do better when we spend less.
I agree, but we need to give Paratici the benefit of the doubt for now. Everyone knows that CB is a critical area to fix for and that the Van Dijk and especially Maguire transfers have distorted the market - Just look what Ben White is costing the Woolwich wanderers!

Romero is coming off a great domestic, European and international run over the past 2 years and it’s not an opportunity I think we can pass up. All we can do is give Paratici and his advisors/scouts the benefit of the doubt, and hope his attributes suit whatever Nuno is going to do.

We can’t have it both ways - this is a tangible investment in the squad so at least there’s intent there.

The fact of the matter is that whoever we target/sign, people will moan.

Expensive: These sort of players don't work for us. He's not worth it. Mercenary
Cheap: No ambition. Poundland club. Levy

Young: No experience. Too risky. Needs to bulk up
Older: Too old. No resale value. Wants a last pay-day

From abroad: Who? No PL experience. Carlos Kickaball
British: Overpaid for him. Not good enough. Southampton/Burnley/Whoever were shit last year

Tall: Lumbering
Short: Dwarf

Handsome: Pretty boy. Narcissist. Won't get stuck in
Ugly: Shit haircut. Looks like an Arsen*l player

And so on. There's a saying here, "it never rains to everyone's liking". Very true of fans' expectations when it comes to signings

The fact of the matter is that whoever we target/sign, people will moan.

Expensive: These sort of players don't work for us. He's not worth it. Mercenary
Cheap: No ambition. Poundland club. Levy

Young: No experience. Too risky. Needs to bulk up
Older: Too old. No resale value. Wants a last pay-day

From abroad: Who? No PL experience. Carlos Kickaball
British: Overpaid for him. Not good enough. Southampton/Burnley/Whoever were shit last year

Tall: Lumbering
Short: Dwarf

Handsome: Pretty boy. Narcissist. Won't get stuck in
Ugly: Shit haircut. Looks like an Arsen*l player

And so on. There's a saying here, "it never rains to everyone's liking". Very true of fans' expectations when it comes to signings

The classic one is:

Well known player: "even I know him, wtf are our scouts paid to do?"
Unknown player: "never heard of him, must be shit"

I know nothing about this guy. Can someone tell me about him ? Is there a cb he is similar to?

He's an old school sort of defender. No nonsense. Likes to defend. Great in the air. Think of him as a better Gary Cahill. That kind of style.

Would genuinely be a top signing. I'll believe it when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom