Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From what I've read online he isn't that good in a back 4, needs to be central in a back 3, also his passing isn't great and picks up alot of yellows

That's why I said he reminds me of Sanchez
I have some of the same concerns. I've watched 4 Atalanta games and 3 Argentina games these last few days, and I'll say his physical attributes, attitude and physical defensive ability I have very few doubts about, the guy is a monster. Atalanta's three at the back kind of allows him and to roam forward at times to press opposition or follow a central striker. So you can watch and think "hmm, maybe I don't want my CB to be wandering the field like that", but it's a tactical quirk I don't worry about too much after rewatching the Argentina games.

In Argentina's back four he was excellent. On rewatch, a surprisingly good forward passer. For Atalanta, the way they play out from the back he'll receive the ball and immediately have a runner to his left, so it's kind of an automated pass that he knows he'll be making before he receives the ball. He did this very adequately but it's not reflective of great ability. In the games vs Brazil, Columbia and Chile, playing in a back four in a more conventional team than Atalanta he regularly picked out De Paul, Lo Celso and Messi with line breaking forward passes, lofted and firmly hit on the ground. There's also a great assist he had vs Milan for a Zapata goal that stands out as an example of good ability on the ball.

But the performances in Argentina's back four are a small sample size. Whether he can maintain positional discipline and organization in a back four for 38 is a different challenge. I may have a look at him in Genoa from last season if I get the chance to see what his weaknesses were there. Yellow cards will definitely be a feature if we sign him, he is very aggressive, but he's a defender with a massive upside and the games I've watched have left me fairly sure that he's worth targeting.

I have some of the same concerns. I've watched 4 Atalanta games and 3 Argentina games these last few days, and I'll say his physical attributes, attitude and physical defensive ability I have very few doubts about, the guy is a monster. Atalanta's three at the back kind of allows him and to roam forward at times to press opposition or follow a central striker. So you can watch and think "hmm, maybe I don't want my CB to be wandering the field like that", but it's a tactical quirk I don't worry about too much after rewatching the Argentina games.

In Argentina's back four he was excellent. On rewatch, a surprisingly good forward passer. For Atalanta, the way they play out from the back he'll receive the ball and immediately have a runner to his left, so it's kind of an automated pass that he knows he'll be making before he receives the ball. He did this very adequately but it's not reflective of great ability. In the games vs Brazil, Columbia and Chile, playing in a back four in a more conventional team than Atalanta he regularly picked out De Paul, Lo Celso and Messi with line breaking forward passes, lofted and firmly hit on the ground. There's also a great assist he had vs Milan for a Zapata goal that stands out as an example of good ability on the ball.

But the performances in Argentina's back four are a small sample size. Whether he can maintain positional discipline and organization in a back four for 38 is a different challenge. I may have a look at him in Genoa from last season if I get the chance to see what his weaknesses were there. Yellow cards will definitely be a feature if we sign him, he is very aggressive, but he's a defender with a massive upside and the games I've watched have left me fairly sure that he's worth targeting.
Great analysis and very encouraging.
What is clear is that your positive view is shared by many- he was Serie A defender of the year and Argentinians view him as the saviour of their defence.
On the other hand, it's clear that it may take time to transition from Atalanta style to Spurs style, and transition from Serie A to PL.

Appreciate it mate, the only game I saw of his is the Copa America final and defensively he is a monster but his passing was off

But he's such a warrior he was injured and had injections to play that game

Like I said exciting signing but let's give him a chance and not to expect him to be a collosus straight away

Great analysis and very encouraging.
What is clear is that your positive view is shared by many- he was Serie A defender of the year and Argentinians view him as the saviour of their defence.
On the other hand, it's clear that it may take time to transition from Atalanta style to Spurs style, and transition from Serie A to PL.
Yeah, I can hardly think of a player who comes in and fixes our defensive issues by his mere presence alone, Van Dijk probably. Romero won't do that but he has it in him to be a top defender. I actually really like the idea of Tomiyasu as a defensively minded RB with Romero - new signing - Reguilon as a back four. Tomiyasu is not a bomber down the wing but his ability on the ball is very good. A team does not need massive chance creation from both full backs to be a successful team. So yeah, excited by the moves we appear to be making. A lot will ride on who we pair with Romero (assuming we get that over the line).

One impressive thing in looking at his statistics, led all defenders in both Serie A and Champions League last season in aerial duals won.

Appreciate it mate, the only game I saw of his is the Copa America final and defensively he is a monster but his passing was off

But he's such a warrior he was injured and had injections to play that game

Like I said exciting signing but let's give him a chance and not to expect him to be a collosus straight away

From what I have seen having watched a number of Atalanta games his passing isn't excellent but it is good for a CB. We won't be wowed by it but it also isn't something that is a concern.

Going from CB options of Dier, Sanchez, and an ageing Alderweireld to Romero, Kounde, and Rodon?

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom