Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I must be missing something here - how the fuck is Aston Villa's net spend £169 million pounds over two transfer windows?

WesleyClub Brugge€25.00m
Tyrone MingsBournemouth€22.30m
Douglas LuizMan City€16.80m
Matt TargettSouthampton€15.50m
Ezri KonsaBrentford€13.30m
Marvelous NakambaClub Brugge€12.00m
Mbwana SamattaKRC Genk€10.50m
TrezeguetKasimpasa€10.00m
Anwar El GhaziLOSC Lille€9.00m
Tom HeatonBurnley€8.80m
Björn EngelsReims€8.00m
JotaBirmingham€4.50m
Kortney HauseWolves€3.40m

Lovre KalinicKAA Gent€6.00m
Frédéric GuilbertSM Caen€5.00m
John McGinnHibernian FC€3.10m
Örjan NylandFC Ingolstadt€3.00m
Anwar El GhaziLOSC LilleLoan fee:
€2.00m

Income in the same two windows .... just 19m ..... think I might have missed a couple but there you go .....

WesleyClub Brugge€25.00m
Tyrone MingsBournemouth€22.30m
Douglas LuizMan City€16.80m
Matt TargettSouthampton€15.50m
Ezri KonsaBrentford€13.30m
Marvelous NakambaClub Brugge€12.00m
Mbwana SamattaKRC Genk€10.50m
TrezeguetKasimpasa€10.00m
Anwar El GhaziLOSC Lille€9.00m
Tom HeatonBurnley€8.80m
Björn EngelsReims€8.00m
JotaBirmingham€4.50m
Kortney HauseWolves€3.40m

Lovre KalinicKAA Gent€6.00m
Frédéric GuilbertSM Caen€5.00m
John McGinnHibernian FC€3.10m
Örjan NylandFC Ingolstadt€3.00m
Anwar El GhaziLOSC LilleLoan fee:
€2.00m

Income in the same two windows .... just 19m ..... think I might have missed a couple but there you go .....
I see that the original list is in euros, not pounds, my mistake. No matter, your list comes to a net spend of €132 million, not €169 million.

Still a shitload on largely average at best players mind

We banked nearly 100 mill from our CL run to the final and we didn't spend a penny in our previous two transfer windows before the summer of 2019. The club has had to reinvest the way it has and has had more than enough cash to do so.

How much do Bayern Munich bank EVERY season guaranteed from their Champions League runs mate? We are nowhere near as likely to qualify for it as they are so we can't rely on it consistently like they can.

People also still forget that the summer we didn't sign anyone we were pushing Liverpool and Man City close up until the end of February, still finished in the top 4 and did make a Champions League final.

I always ask people who we could have realistically signed that summer who could have made us better and very few give names. We clearly tried for Grealish, we did everything right and it was over the line until a lighting bolt we couldn't control struck and they got their sudden takeover. We've even had Dybala talk about how close he was to leaving last summer as well.

Quick question.....how much did Liverpool spend this summer? After all teams who want to progress need to spend money right?

I must be missing something here - how the fuck is Aston Villa's net spend £169 million pounds over two transfer windows?

According to Transfermkt Bill:

TRANSFER RECORD

Income/ExpenditureArrivals/DeparturesFee
Income21£3.60m
Expenditure25£143.19m
Overall balance£-139.59m

Into Euros the currency converter is giving me €165.23 today so not far off.

I see that the original list is in euros, not pounds, my mistake. No matter, your list comes to a net spend of €132 million, not €169 million.

The other point to make is that Villa had allowed a whole load of their players contracts to expire (often due to their age, but also that the players were Championship level at best, and they wanted better players)

So that's the reason they signed all those new players - but the other point to make is that most of the new players were on far higher wages (waanabe PL players v Championship level) than the players they replaced (maybe double or more), with only one or two exceptions such as ex club captain Gabby Agbonlahor, so total investment in new players is a multiple of the transfer fees with wages, sign on fees and agents fees.

How much do Bayern Munich bank EVERY season guaranteed from their Champions League runs mate? We are nowhere near as likely to qualify for it as they are so we can't rely on it consistently like they can.

People also still forget that the summer we didn't sign anyone we were pushing Liverpool and Man City close up until the end of February, still finished in the top 4 and did make a Champions League final.

I always ask people who we could have realistically signed that summer who could have made us better and very few give names. We clearly tried for Grealish, we did everything right and it was over the line until a lighting bolt we couldn't control struck and they got their sudden takeover. We've even had Dybala talk about how close he was to leaving last summer as well.

Quick question.....how much did Liverpool spend this summer? After all teams who want to progress need to spend money right?

We can't compare ourselves to Liverpool atm. Their recruitment has been exceptional in recent years and they have a team that is one of the best and consistent sides in the world. All the players are still at a good age too. We had an aging team and had players with injury issues. We couldn't afford to take a break from renewing the side and sit on our hands for two transfer windows. This argument has been done to death, the position we are in right now is the result of not refreshing the team when we should have. We don't know exactly who was at fault but it happened and we are where we are

Let's just hope the players we have signed since last summer can gel and take us back to being a settled top 4 side. Of course there is still some work to do, still more players to recruit.

We can't compare ourselves to Liverpool atm. Their recruitment has been exceptional in recent years and they have a team that is one of the best and consistent sides in the world. All the players are still at a good age too. We had an aging team and had players with injury issues. We couldn't afford to take a break from renewing the side and sit on our hands for two transfer windows. This argument has been done to death, the position we are in right now is the result of not refreshing the team when we should have. We don't know exactly who was at fault but it happened and we are where we are

Let's just hope the players we have signed since last summer can gel and take us back to being a settled top 4 side. Of course there is still some work to do, still more players to recruit.

I agree but our first XI at the start of last season would have still been very hard to puncture for any new player coming in.

Lloris
Aurier/ Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose/ Davies
Winks
Dembele
Eriksen
Dele
Son/ Lucas
Kane

I do believe we should have been more proactive, we tried to be with the Grealish attempt but the lack of money spent meant we could go out this time around and be the 5th biggest spenders in the world across 2 windows. We have done so and still have huge sums left to reinvest/ give the new manager. Our spending isn't done and sometimes you have to take a step back before you take a couple forward.

It was a risk we managed to just about get away with and one that shouldn't have been taken but we have more than made up for it/ made the most of it with big money moves ever since, most of which wouldn't have been possible if we had spent as frivolously summer 2018. A few tweaks required now as opposed to massive upheaval, we are OK we just need a little time to mature and a little more added in a couple of areas.

A perfect example that in sport, if you're not moving forwards, you're moving backwards.

A perfect example that in sport, if you're not moving forwards, you're moving backwards.

Yeah but the steps forward need to be the right ones or you can move backwards just as quickly as if you didn't do anything. It's also good to allow for younger players to mature which can only happen if time is given to them.

Still should have signed someone that summer regardless though, mad that we didn't need but what's done is done I guess my man.

Mate, they had just come off the back of winning the fucking Champions League, as well as finishing with a record number of premier league points for a team that didn’t win the league, a league which they are now running away with this season, as a result of their excellent recruitment over the previous windows. How much more can they realistically progress?

Mate, they had just come off the back of winning the fucking Champions League, as well as finishing with a record number of premier league points for a team that didn’t win the league, a league which they are now running away with this season, as a result of their excellent recruitment over the previous windows. How much more can they realistically progress?

The one they have always wanted is the PL which, through not investing significantly in the summer (a free transfer and a 17 year old for their academy) whilst Man City, the team that beat them to their holy grail had incomings totalling €151.2m on signings like Rodri, Cancelo etc they left themselves playing a risky game.

Liverpool are smashing their league this season with no significant investment compared to City, who according to some reports smashed their transfer record last summer, faltering with far more investment. Liverpool took a chance that their team was good enough and it has come up trumps. Based on their failing to win the league last season, I'd say there was room to improve but the trigger wasn't pulled, much like we opted not to in summer 2018.

Could we and should we have? Absolutely but hindsight if things had gone better for City with the huge sums used on incomings yet again then we could easily be saying the same about Liverpool right now. They're a top team no doubt but it was of course a risky move for them to do so with next to nothing coming in summer 2019. That doesn't take away from our shortcomings however, I'm just saying that sometimes it's better to let something good grow or at least give it time to instead of waving the moolah around. Not always but sometimes.

Last edited:
The one they have always wanted is the PL which, through not investing significantly in the summer (a free transfer and a 17 year old for their academy) whilst Man City, the team that beat them to their holy grail had incomings totalling €151.2m on signings like Rodri, Cancelo etc they left themselves playing a risky game.

Liverpool are smashing their league this season with no significant investment compared to City, who according to some reports smashed their transfer record last summer, faltering with far more investment. Liverpool took a chance that their team was good enough and it has come up trumps. Based on their failing to win the league last season, I'd say there was room to improve but the trigger wasn't pulled, much like we opted not to in summer 2018.

Could we and should we have? Absolutely but hindsight if things had gone better for City with the huge sums used on incomings yet again then we could easily be saying the same about Liverpool right now. They're a top team no doubt but it was of course a risky move for them to do so with next to nothing coming in summer 2019. That doesn't take away from our shortcomings however, I'm just saying that sometimes it's better to let something good grow or at least give it time to instead of waving the moolah around. Not always but sometimes.

yeah but it was plainly obvious we weren’t in that position so the comparison is silly.

I have to assume that Marvelous Nakamba is somewhat above average. Life would be to hideous to contemplate otherwise

Excellent summary of where we're at and how we got here. The argument has been done to death but you've done well to summarise what could be an essay into a paragraph and a bit.

LVG: “Daniel Levy went to my house here in Noordwijk and left in the trunk, because Jack van Gelder [a local journalist] was outside” :levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom