Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're saying these things need to be in place before we can win the FA cup or league cup?

To stay in the top 4 where the money is absolutely, to win a trophy no as I said we have been in the position to win a trophy on 9 occasions (semi finals or above) and each time failed to do so.

In the last 10 years only Swansea and Birmingham City have won the EFL Cup outside of the BIG 4-5 clubs, and in the FA Cup only Wigan has. Big rich cubs win more, its that simple and the sad fact of modern day football. I don't have to say where Swansea, Birminham and Wigan are now.

Last edited:
Which is pretty much the same amount as the world record breaking profit we posted the year we shafted Poch and signed no-one
Tottenham post world-record £113 million profit
May as well close the argument now, guys.

Hey idiot did you miss something? Liverpool profits in the same year were also a record Liverpool post world record profits so in fact all the Coutinho money was extra ... doh

Did you forget that or did you not understand? as you say, may as well close the argument now, guys. JT proving once again he isn't capable of making a rational comparison ...

Look at the five year net spend by Spurs and Liverpool it's the feckin' same ....

Premier League - Transfer balance and five-year comparison

Every single club in the Premier league seems to be able to spend and invest except us. Its the same propaganda that has been said for years by the same people.

There has been many opportunities where spurs have been in glorious positions and had the chance to win something but Levy decided to be too clever and we've lost out over pennies.

Levy is the hardest man to do business with, to the point where other clubs balk and think we're a joke.

He's not able to show flexibility. He takes an idea and runs with that idea and shows no compromise or ability to adapt. When it's one man calling the shots it's always going to be like this. I'm not asking the club to spend billions. But to make some financial sacrifice here and there at the right times that's ultimately going to benefit us in the long run. In the same way Liverpool have realised this. Which is why we need a DoF again. I heard we have one now?

We have been in glorious position 9 times in 10 years for either the team or manager to fail to get it over the line. Signings like Son, Ndombele and the 2 this window shows that Levy is easy to deal with. I'm not saying Levy has always made the right choice, he hasn't and I will happily say that but to ignore how our stature has grown since ENIC took over is strange to me.

Which is pretty much the same amount as the world record breaking profit we posted the year we shafted Poch and signed no-one

Tottenham post world-record £113 million profit

Now look at them and look at us.

May as well close the argument now, guys.

Not really, they haven't had to pay for a new stadium that ran way over schedule and over budget.

Do you really think a club like Tottenham can afford to both build a £1bn stadium and compete with oil clubs in the market at the same time? The summer of 2018 was a massive fuckup that nobody can defend, but in the last year we have spent approaching £200m on players with potentially more in the next 24 hours. We are doing what we can within our means.

To stay in the top 4 where the money is absolutely, to win a trophy know as I said we have been in the position to win a trophy on 9 occasions (semi finals or above) and each time failed to do so.

In the last 10 years only Swansea and Birmingham City have won the EFL Cup outside of the BIG 4-5 clubs, and in the FA Cup only Wigan has. Big rich cubs win more, its that simple and the sad fact of modern day football. I don't have to say where Swansea, Birminham and Wigan are now.
But that's because of their poor league form, not because they won the FA cup or the league cup.
We have been capable for sometime of doing well in the league and the cup.

But that's because of their poor league form, not because they won the FA cup or the league cup.

For the last 5 years or so we had a manager who wasn't that bothered by them, as he said himself.

We have reached one league cup final, one CL final and 2 FA cup semis under Poch. We came close.

Some fans on here make it sound like we exited every cup competition at the earliest round under Poch, we had some good cup runs and some bad ones. Like every other team. Ultimately our players and manager weren't quite tough enough to avoid daft mistakes when the trophy was in touching distance.

You guys who are on the side of “Levy and the board don’t care about trophies, they’re all in it for the money” and “here’s a list of players we didn’t get because we are tight” - what makes you so confident that you are stating anything for fact?

I have no clue what Levy’s motivation is. I’ve no clue which players we were negotiating with and didn’t come to agreement with. But there’s a load of randoms on here that know these “facts”?

Opinions are fine, but none of us have a fucking clue what goes on behind the scenes.

We have reached one league cup final, one CL final and 2 FA cup semis under Poch. We came close.

Some fans on here make it sound like we exited every cup competition at the earliest round under Poch, we had some good cup runs and some bad ones. Like every other team. Ultimately our players and manager weren't quite tough enough to avoid daft mistakes when the trophy was in touching distance.
There is no trophy for coming close, just a losers medal.
I think ENIC have to share in that responsibility of not winning anything except the one league cup don't they? People would be fast to credit them if all the near misses turned into wins.

You guys who are on the side of “Levy and the board don’t care about trophies, they’re all in it for the money” and “here’s a list of players we didn’t get because we are tight” - what makes you so confident that you are stating anything for fact?

I have no clue what Levy’s motivation is. I’ve no clue which players we were negotiating with and didn’t come to agreement with. But there’s a load of randoms on here that know these “facts”?

Opinions are fine, but none of us have a fucking clue what goes on behind the scenes.
That is true. We dont know anything behind the scenes. Only thing we know is that after 20 years or so with Levy and Enic, weve won the square root of -1. In maths, square of of -1 is an imaginary number, as imaginary as the trophies Levy has delivered.

That is true. We dont know anything behind the scenes. Only thing we know is that after 20 years or so with Levy and Enic, weve won the square root of -1. In maths, square of of -1 is an imaginary number, as imaginary as the trophies Levy has delivered.
Yes, that is the only thing we know. Why it happened is anyone’s guess. If the board cares is also anyone’s guess.

Yes, that is the only thing we know. Why it happened is anyone’s guess. If the board cares is also anyone’s guess.
Agreed. We cant give out list of players we didnt buy or didnt manage to buy as a point for or against levy. We can however create a list of the times we should have bought someone to give us an extra edge at the right time to convert an 'almost there' team to a winning one..but didnt.

Also since we have won nothing at all in almost forever, there should be a great incentive for the owners to help out at the right moment but they havent which is why it can be argued that they dont care about trophies as much as fattening their cashcow for sale later.

Agreed. We cant give out list of players we didnt buy or didnt manage to buy as a point for or against levy. We can however create a list of the times we should have bought someone to give us an extra edge at the right time to convert an 'almost there' team to a winning one..but didnt.

Also since we have won nothing at all in almost forever, there should be a great incentive for the owners to help out at the right moment but they havent which is why it can be argued that they dont care about trophies as much as fattening their cashcow for sale later.
You may be right.

It could also be argued that we’ve gone after tier one targets in the past and they’ve not been available for some reason, so we’ve gone down a level and ended up with GKN or Janssen, who have failed. So we have learned from that and couldn’t get a top target over the line for CM 18 months ago, but knew we’d have a stab again this summer and got Tanguy.

Just because we didn’t sign anyone, doesn’t mean to say we didn’t want to or try. Not everyone is available. And Poch may well have sat down with Levy and said he didn’t want anyone anyway. We still don’t know what “be brave” meant. The real reason Dybala fell through could have been Poch saying, “nah, I’ll get Eriksen to sign a new deal”. That’s as likely to me as Levy not wanting to win stuff is to you.

You may be right.

It could also be argued that we’ve gone after tier one targets in the past and they’ve not been available for some reason, so we’ve gone down a level and ended up with GKN or Janssen, who have failed. So we have learned from that and couldn’t get a top target over the line for CM 18 months ago, but knew we’d have a stab again this summer and got Tanguy.

Just because we didn’t sign anyone, doesn’t mean to say we didn’t want to or try. Not everyone is available. And Poch may well have sat down with Levy and said he didn’t want anyone anyway. We still don’t know what “be brave” meant. The real reason Dybala fell through could have been Poch saying, “nah, I’ll get Eriksen to sign a new deal”. That’s as likely to me as Levy not wanting to win stuff is to you.
Nothing wrong with your opinion either. And Im not saying Levy doesnt want to win stuff, everyone wants to win. I think, hed rather have a bigger pot of gold at the end when he sells instead of a trophy for the club.

Nothing wrong with your opinion either. And Im not saying Levy doesnt want to win stuff, everyone wants to win. I think, hed rather have a bigger pot of gold at the end when he sells instead of a trophy for the club.
I think he wants both. And the best way to more of the former is doing more of the latter.

Finally, Barnett was also asked about the toughest club chairmen he has negotiated with. When suggested that it could be Daniel Levy, he responded: “Daniel Levy is one of the most honourable men I know.

“He thinks he’s good (in negotiations), but so am I and I think I’m better. It’s very hard to do business with him, in a nice way.

“He wants the most and I want the most so we argue. But the one thing is that we shake hands on it and we don’t need paper. His word is 100%.”

Finally, Barnett was also asked about the toughest club chairmen he has negotiated with. When suggested that it could be Daniel Levy, he responded: “Daniel Levy is one of the most honourable men I know.

“He thinks he’s good (in negotiations), but so am I and I think I’m better. It’s very hard to do business with him, in a nice way.

“He wants the most and I want the most so we argue. But the one thing is that we shake hands on it and we don’t need paper. His word is 100%.”

We've heard the same from Aulas....

It pours cold water over the idea that no-one wants to do business with him.

Not sure if this article has been shared or if people have read it or not, but I feel it hits the nail on the head in terms of Levys strengths, weaknesses, the messes he has made of certain things and why he should remove himself from such an active role in football matters and employ someone who really has the managers and first teams best interest at heart, be that Luis Campos or whoever...

Back
Top Bottom