DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

de Yidlin is looking more and more like a Spurs/U.A/U.S marketing ploy by the day... if we only really signed him for the shirt sales in America, then let's at least see if he's worthwhile persevering with...

As interesting as this storyline is, he isn't a popular enough name to sell shirts so I hope that that wasn't the primary driving force behind buying Deandre. Unless he becomes a first team player he won't contribute much to the growth of the brand in the US. He just turned 22 so there's plenty of time for him to add something to his Woolwich to compliment his world class speed and decent crossing ability.

Norwich tend to play quite narrow in the midfield and have their full backs push up the pitch. Olsson does an OK job for them on the left, would be interesting to see if Yedlin could do similar for them. I've had about 5 text messages in the last half hour asking if he's any good, guess its based on this twitter rumour more than anything concrete. Expect he'd get a chance if they did sign him. The right back options they have now are Whittaker (who makes Corluka look rapid) and Martin (also plays CB) so I think he'd be involved.
Olsson overlaps well because Johnson usually plays left midfield and he cuts in because he isn't a left midfielder. It'd be a little different with Yedlin behind Redmond. Depends on how Norwich decide to defend. The Championship is a lot different to Premier League. I personally think if they sign Yedlin they'll probably use him more forward or as an impact sub.

I see it as a win for us anyway. He either has a superb loan and comes back to us with more experience then when he left and he gets time in our team or he's shit and we sell him to some American team for the price we got him for.

Olsson overlaps well because Johnson usually plays left midfield and he cuts in because he isn't a left midfielder. It'd be a little different with Yedlin behind Redmond. Depends on how Norwich decide to defend. The Championship is a lot different to Premier League. I personally think if they sign Yedlin they'll probably use him more forward or as an impact sub.

I see it as a win for us anyway. He either has a superb loan and comes back to us with more experience then when he left and he gets time in our team or he's shit and we sell him to some American team for the price we got him for.

Redmond starts on the right but also tends to drift inside as he has little impact as a winger. Why people think he's better than Townsend I'll never understand. I know a lot of Norwich fans and they all say he disappears for large periods of games, leaving the full back on his side as the only attacking outlet.

If Norwich don't defend as a team from all angles they'll get torn a new one week in, week out. I'd like to see how Yedlin competes in that environment as that would then give us an idea as whether hes a viable option for our first team squad.

Americans love it though, Landon was the hero of USA World Cup in 2010 and LA golden boy yet was happy being a bit part at Everton

Yedlin would clean boots for a gig in England that's what you get with an American they will always do their best

He hopefully will do a "Rose at Sunderland" if he goes to Norwich

....He just turned 22 so there's plenty of time for him to add something to his Woolwich to compliment his world class speed and decent crossing ability.

hahahaha... Auto Correct Filter FAIL! I know what you meant!! ...maybe you shoulda said Armoury? ...still makes sense!

To all the people saying signing Yedlin was designed to sell shirts in the US, not sure if I agree. But if that was the plan, it is working.

I ran into my cousin today. I was with my kids and my older son was wearing a Spurs shirt. My cousin says, "I love the Hotspurs' jersey! I've become a pretty big fan of the Hotspurs! I love Yedlin so I started following them and got hooked with Kane."

I didn't want to sound like a dick or discourage the guy's newfound interest, but it really hurt my ears. With club football's niche appeal here, people who talk about it usually are pretty knowledgeable. Growth in Spurs' popularity here would be a mixed-blessing for those of us in the US.

To all the people saying signing Yedlin was designed to sell shirts in the US, not sure if I agree. But if that was the plan, it is working.

I ran into my cousin today. I was with my kids and my older son was wearing a Spurs shirt. My cousin says, "I love the Hotspurs' jersey! I've become a pretty big fan of the Hotspurs! I love Yedlin so I started following them and got hooked with Kane."

I didn't want to sound like a dick or discourage the guy's newfound interest, but it really hurt my ears. With club football's niche appeal here, people who talk about it usually are pretty knowledgeable. Growth in Spurs' popularity here would be a mixed-blessing for those of us in the US.
I thought it was a marketing thing when we signed him, and I've seen not anything since to suggest it isn't. I'm not saying he can't play, but it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to play a part in the first team. He was a punt on Enic's part - get ready for Norwich shirts all over the USA.

Yes thats a good point: Might scar him psychologically if they went down.

I don't think it would tbh. If anything a really difficult relegation challenge would only spur (pun intended) him on to be a better player and leader, similar to how Holtby responded with HSV. If there is one honest observation about US players is that they (for the most part) respond extraordinarily well to "do or die" circumstances and perform at their best when considered the underdog. If he gets loaned out to a bottom side and they do get relegated, I think we will get a more focused and driven player back. He will not want to experience anything close to relegation again in his career.

As an aside- seems like a good kid with a decent head on his shoulders. After the international friendlies his "vacation" was a trip home to see his sister graduate and visit the Seattle academy to help out/motivate. All too often we see players heading out to party destinations (not that it's a bad thing).

Will preseason be of any use to yedlin to actually get game time in EL at least...guess it all boils down to Walks whether or not he can get back to his best...then again there's Trippy

DeAndre Yedlin ‏@yedlinny 5m5 minutes ago
Internet rumors
1f602.png
crazy...

Back
Top Bottom