DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well i for one am very happy hes coming in January. Naughtons deal runs out at the end of the season i believe so he's gone, Yedlin is going to be Walker's understudy and given KW's recent injuries having a bit of cover there has to be a good thing. 6 months to get used to the club and everything that goes with it, ready for next season rather than coming in blind, Plus he gives us something we dont have a lot of at the moment, some true honest blistering pace, if we really need it.

I do agree with this, and if this is all you're saying, we're fine. Is Yedlin better off just getting settled these next four months than trying to force his way onto the field? Very possibly, I'll leave that question for Poch & Co.

But that's not what you're saying. You're saying he isn't a good enough player to feature in a Premier League game.

If you read before reacting then you'd see that this has been my point the entire time.

Whose system? Pochettino's?

Tottenham's youth system.

You'd really like that to be true wouldn't you?

No I don't care really. But you've said nothing to prove otherwise and your insistance in only referencing the Belgium game and less often the Germany and Portugal cameos in a different position sure seem to point that way.
Also your over-use of "You'd like that wouldn't you" Makes me think you are maybe 18

I think the chances are that Yedlin will fail at Tottenham - the price tag suggests Spurs think that also.

Did the similarly paltry amounts spent on Dier or Holtby suggest the same? (And feel free to say yes, that would be a perfectly valid argument, that Spurs will just grab a couple of high-upside fliers every now and then)

I'd kinda like to, because you're side of said debate is ludicrous.
ludacris_thumbs_up.jpg

Absolutely. That's it exactly. Some work out, and others don't. Yedders is in that category.

That's perfectly fair. I guess I would just argue that when you are a 21 year old experienced professional, if you don't get in the team fairly quickly, you turn into Bongani Khumalo faster than you'd think.

People made a lot of hay over all the loan spells Andros Townsend had, but he was an EPL regular at 21, albeit at QPR.

That's perfectly fair. I guess I would just argue that when you are a 21 year old experienced professional, if you don't get in the team fairly quickly, you turn into Bongani Khumalo faster than you'd think.

People made a lot of hay over all the loan spells Andros Townsend had, but he was an EPL regular at 21, albeit at QPR.
Let him learn his trade without too much pressure. He could be anything, but he's a young man, leaving his home, and going to a league where everyone's trying to make you look like a fool. It will certainly be a new experience for him, and he'll need to grow up fast - if he copes with all this, and he can play, he's got every chance.

Andros Townsend is a load of old shit though.

Let him learn his trade without too much pressure. He could be anything, but he's a young man, leaving his home, and going to a league where everyone's trying to make you look like a fool. It will certainly be a new experience for him, and he'll need to grow up fast - if he copes with all this, and he can play, he's got every chance.

I'm with that.

I have no clue if Yedlin will be good for Spurs or not but I'm 100% sure that if he actually was Latvian instead of American this thread would be a lot more positive.

I have no clue if Yedlin will be good for Spurs or not but I'm 100% sure that if he actually was Latvian instead of American this thread would be a lot more positive.
Nay, that's ridiculous. Why do you say that? I find that disturbing. What's all this nationality bullshit anyway? Can he play or can't he?

Last edited:
Nay, that's ridiculous. Why do you say that? I find that disturbing. If he's good he's not Latvian.

Listen, I'm not some sort of American patriot or anything but I do think American players get unnecessarily looked down upon. The US has made the knock out stages of the World Cup 3 of the last 4 cups and the MLS is roughly on the level of an Eastern European league. America is a decent footballing country, the only reason it doesn't appear so is because in comparison to its success in other sports, football just isn't on that level.

IMO you have to look at Yedlin roughly the same way as Eric Dier. Both are young, cheap and have upside. At the end of the day they are low risk/high upside transfer. Yedlin is cheaper and more athletic and barely six months older than Dier. Plus Yedlin actually had some decent run outs against the German and Belgian national teams which is more than Dier had on his CV. Also, had Yedlin not come here he was going to Roma who are a Champions League team and second in Serie A, it's not Spurs plucked him out of obscurity.

He's 21, cost 2m, and has potential. If we wasn't American I really don't think there would be any reservations about the guy. The tenor to the conversation about Yedlin is nowhere similar to when we signed Dier despite the fact that the particulars surrounding both of them are relatively comparable.

Back
Top Bottom