Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd really hoped he'd turned the corner when Jose first arrived. He put in a couple of decent performances.

I was wrong.
What is so frustrating that the player rarely delivers is constantly picked and never dropped on performance.
In some ways I feel he is holding back Le Celso development as he should play as a forward attacking midfielder.
A real mess.

Played AGAIN completly out of position though. So are you expecting him to do what he does best from an entirely different position on the pitch? How exactly does this work?
Fair point.
I can't remember why he was played out of position again though.

Was it injuries or accommodating other players?

When's the last time Dele was played "in position"

What is his position?

Why isn't he being played there?

I like Dele. I think he gets a bad rap for trying to do flicks and tricks instead of keeping it simple. When this has always been his game.

Fair point.
I can't remember why he was played out of position again though.

Was it injuries or accommodating other players?
So Jose played him pushed up in his first few games (his usual position) and he popped up with what he always does, what everyone measures him against, he did what he almost always does from that position and role. We then picked up injuries and he was then played out of position, in fact NEVER once was he played back in that position outside of his first few games under Jose.

To make matters worse Jose then also chose to park the bus in the vast majority of games and without Kane and Son then (when not Lucas) played him as CF. (Without Kane and Son I too have been calling for him to be played there, however not whilst we park our Jose bus and lump long balls to him all game, absolutely no point in that at all).

When's the last time Dele was played "in position"

What is his position?

Why isn't he being played there?

I like Dele. I think he gets a bad rap for trying to do flicks and tricks instead of keeping it simple. When this has always been his game.
10/Raumdeuter, in my view. Challenge is that requires a 4-2-3-1 with him in the hole. Maybe a 4-3-3 with him on the left, but Son is better there. He's also a pretty good #8 but it admittedly hampers his production going forward.

All detailed in the article and material above from the Athletic Totts.

Thanks. I'll give it a read!

10/Raumdeuter, in my view. Challenge is that requires a 4-2-3-1 with him in the hole. Maybe a 4-3-3 with him on the left, but Son is better there. He's also a pretty good #8 but it admittedly hampers his production going forward.

I always assumed his best position was 10 or off the striker but he's played there under Mourinho at times and still gets dogs abuse?

Thing is, when everyone is fit and we fix the weaknesses in our team. Do you start Dele? Where do you fit him in?

If we get a defence minded midfielder. We could play 4231 with the defence minded midfielder playing alongside Ndombele. Where do you put Lo Celso? Number 10 I assume? Where's Dele? 433, I assume the defense minded midfielder would have Ndombele and GLC either side. Dele outwide seems the best choice but he isn't better than Son and he probably doesn't suit a 433 more than say Bergwijn does..

Its a tough one. Dele has better output than GLC for example but I feel Lo Celso is a better player in the sense of how we should play.

Who'd be a manger!?

So Jose played him pushed up in his first few games (his usual position) and he popped up with what he always does, what everyone measures him against, he did what he almost always does from that position and role. We then picked up injuries and he was then played out of position, in fact NEVER once was he played back in that position outside of his first few games under Jose.

To make matters worse Jose then also chose to park the bus in the vast majority of games and without Kane and Son then (when not Lucas) played him as CF. (Without Kane and Son I too have been calling for him to be played there, however not whilst we park our Jose bus and lump long balls to him all game, absolutely no point in that at all).
Thanks
If it was a case of accommodating others, or just tactical, then it wouldn't bode well for the future

Thanks. I'll give it a read!

I always assumed his best position was 10 or off the striker but he's played there under Mourinho at times and still gets dogs abuse?

Thing is, when everyone is fit and we fix the weaknesses in our team. Do you start Dele? Where do you fit him in?

If we get a defence minded midfielder. We could play 4231 with the defence minded midfielder playing alongside Ndombele. Where do you put Lo Celso? Number 10 I assume? Where's Dele? 433, I assume the defense minded midfielder would have Ndombele and GLC either side. Dele outwide seems the best choice but he isn't better than Son and he probably doesn't suit a 433 more than say Bergwijn does..

Its a tough one. Dele has better output than GLC for example but I feel Lo Celso is a better player in the sense of how we should play.

Who'd be a manger!?
I like this when we are fit...

Ndombele-Real DM
Lo Celso-Dele-Son
--------Kane---------

Thanks
If it was a case of accommodating others, or just tactical, then it wouldn't bode well for the future
It's crystal clear where he excels on the pitch.

But to have so many experiences playing in different positions will help his understanding of the game, knowing what it's like to play in the double pivot at the base of midfield, for example, might improve his runs into space when looking to receive the ball from that position. (I had been playing football for 15i'sh years before the first time I went into midfield, I spent the entire game chasing the ball, I had no awareness of where to stand, how to show for the ball, it was like a playing a different sport, it must have taken me 15-20 games before I felt comfortable and was able to contribute effectively both with & without the ball), but when I went back to my original position I felt a lot more connected to midfield than I had done previously.

It also validates his selections within different formations, tactically he can be useful to a manager who can deploy him without the need to make a sub (Dier was key to Poch for this very reason).

The final thing is that he has only just turned 24! He still qualifies for YPOTY. The lad has played 307 professional games and scored 86 goals!! That's 53 games and 70 goals more than Jack Wilshire has in his entire career!! He's also played 3 more Internationals and scored more than him for England.

x1 League Cup runner up
x1 League Cup Semi-Final
x2 FA Cup Semi-Finals (Scored in both)
x1 CL Runner-Up
Never finished below 4th in PL
World Cup Semi-Finalist (Scored winner in Quarter-Final)

I'll mention it again, he's JUST turned 24!!! Now compare the press he gets to say another 24yr old, who is on DOUBLE the wages I might also add.................

Just 46 apps and 14 goals from Striker!

It's crystal clear where he excels on the pitch.

But to have so many experiences playing in different positions will help his understanding of the game, knowing what it's like to play in the double pivot at the base of midfield, for example, might improve his runs into space when looking to receive the ball from that position. (I had been playing football for 15i'sh years before the first time I went into midfield, I spent the entire game chasing the ball, I had no awareness of where to stand, how to show for the ball, it was like a playing a different sport, it must have taken me 15-20 games before I felt comfortable and was able to contribute effectively both with & without the ball), but when I went back to my original position I felt a lot more connected to midfield than I had done previously.

It also validates his selections within different formations, tactically he can be useful to a manager who can deploy him without the need to make a sub (Dier was key to Poch for this very reason).

The final thing is that he has only just turned 24! He still qualifies for YPOTY. The lad has played 307 professional games and scored 86 goals!! That's 53 games and 70 goals more than Jack Wilshire has in his entire career!! He's also played 3 more Internationals and scored more than him for England.

x1 League Cup runner up
x1 League Cup Semi-Final
x2 FA Cup Semi-Finals (Scored in both)
x1 CL Runner-Up
Never finished below 4th in PL
World Cup Semi-Finalist (Scored winner in Quarter-Final)

I'll mention it again, he's JUST turned 24!!! Now compare the press he gets to say another 24yr old, who is on DOUBLE the wages I might also add.................

Just 46 apps and 14 goals from Striker!

I'm not knocking him, I'm just worried about how he was and will be used going forward.

We need him back on top of his game ASAP.
I'm not sure he will be if he is being played out of his natural/best position.

Some players may not be able to adapt or get pissed off, if not played in their preferred position.

I'm not knocking him, I'm just worried about how he was and will be used going forward.

We need him back on top of his game ASAP.
I'm not sure he will be if he is being played out of his natural/best position.

Some players may not be able to adapt or get pissed off, if not played in their preferred position.
He plays wherever he's been asked to, even when injured and always gives his all. Again, "on top of his game" I take it means you want to see him playing in his best position. It's not his fault that he's been asked to play in the double pivot or as a loan striker.

He will be "on top of his game" when he's actually selected & played in his best position, as he has already shown this season.

He plays wherever he's been asked to, even when injured and always gives his all. Again, "on top of his game" I take it means you want to see him playing in his best position. It's not his fault that he's been asked to play in the double pivot or as a loan striker.

He will be "on top of his game" when he's actually selected & played in his best position, as he has already shown this season.
Exactly what I mean, spot on.

If he's being played out of position and not playing well (even though he does give his all) and keeps getting subbed off I can see him getting more annoyed/frustrated.
He hasn't taken being subbed well previously. We don't if that's purely because he was subbed off or frustrated by his own performance. But if it continues I can see him becoming very unhappy.

If we get a decent DM, fullbacks, a CB & the rest etc. Then dele no longer gets in to my first team

———DM——
LoCelso Tanguy
Bergwijn Kane Son

Is how I would line up, I also would love to see how Dele reacts to being dropped for an extended period.

He’s still actually my favourite player when on song but I don’t think he does enough often enough to be a starter whenever football resumes. If bergwijn isn’t up to scratch though after a few games then Dele is a brilliant option to have.

Dele trolling the Scum:

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-new...rrently-see-Woolwich-as-clubs-biggest-rivals/

:allitongue:

Back
Top Bottom