Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m going to be honest, I’m my opinion, whenever I see a young athlete change his hair I fully expect him to start struggling. Football, basketball, American football. No idea why and I going know stats to back it up but so many talented young players end up doing something crazy with their hair and then they stop performing.

I’m sure it’s the fame getting to them and losing focus more than the hair but I’m sure it’s connected. 😁

Totally agree...

...and which of these games might you be thinking of? Just like to keep track of his progress and talent expression.
All of them probably cos even now after years of false starts people still think Dele is the answer to our problems- I mean he is still young you know and all that guff....

:pocheyes:

Last edited:
FE9AdvHXsAM8krZ

:harrysmile:

Thanks for this, Guids. It's really good to see this objective data laid out in graphic form to more easily illustrate Dele's supreme value. Some c*nts would probably quibble that jsut because a fucker runs around a bit doesn't mean he brings any fucking quality to the proceedings. But you and I know better than that. We know Dele is oozing class and quality but that it's of the more subtle variety that probably escapes those with lesser perceptive abilities than us. We can feel it. We can sense that he's about to have a breakout season and earn his way back into the team. Just like with Winksy. It all starts with with running around more than others.

There's some quality names on that list. You think we should be looking at some of those that run around a bit more than Dele?

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Guids. It's really good to see this objective data laid out in graphic form to more easily illustrate Dele's supreme value. Some c*nts would probably quibble that jsut because a fucker runs around a bit doesn't mean he brings any fucking quality to the proceedings. But you and I know better than that. We know Dele is oozing class and quality but that it's of the more subtle variety that probably escapes those with lesser perceptive abilities than us. We can feel it. We can sense that he's about to have a breakout season and earn his way back into the team. Just like with Winksy. It all starts with with running around more than others.

There's some quality names on that list. You think we should be looking at some of those that run around a bit more than Dele?
Good to see that you haven't grasped the difference between "running" and pressures. If you google it you could understand the importance of it in the modern game, doubt you will.

Good to see that you haven't grasped the difference between "running" and pressures.
I'm sorry but did I miss something? Can you tell me the names of the 2 axes on that graph? Just because I've mentioned one doesn't mean I don't recognize the other my dear Guids. I wrote just to point out that we are simpatico in regards to our boy Dele. We know he's gonna come good. Conte is a great coach so he will see all the things that Dele has to offer. If he doesn't then he's shit...and Dele comes out smelling of rose like he should.

In fact, were I to post some info like this today would be the perfect day as we face a tough draw like Mura. Dele is likely to get some time and possibly do something things (on or off screen) that we can point to and show that he's making progress even if the opposition is a bunch of Slovenian farmer, plumbers, and cobblers. We know it's real quality!

If you google it you could understand the importance of it in the modern game, doubt you will.
Is that where you got your info? Perhaps I will look to do that when there is something in the modern game I don't understand...hold your breath for it. But don't need to my man. See the first paragraph to know the reason why.

I’m going to be honest, I’m my opinion, whenever I see a young athlete change his hair I fully expect him to start struggling. Football, basketball, American football. No idea why and I going know stats to back it up but so many talented young players end up doing something crazy with their hair and then they stop performing.

I’m sure it’s the fame getting to them and losing focus more than the hair but I’m sure it’s connected. 😁
The hearts are annoying, but you get the drift
david beckham hairstyles GIF

Lionel Messi Smile GIF by FC Barcelona
Lionel Messi Thumbs Up GIF by FC Barcelona
Lionel Messi Football GIF by FC Barcelona

Think this stat was after City and Wolves. There's been quite a few game since

I'm sorry but did I miss something? Can you tell me the names of the 2 axes on that graph? Just because I've mentioned one doesn't mean I don't recognize the other my dear Guids. I wrote just to point out that we are simpatico in regards to our boy Dele. We know he's gonna come good. Conte is a great coach so he will see all the things that Dele has to offer. If he doesn't then he's shit...and Dele comes out smelling of rose like he should.

In fact, were I to post some info like this today would be the perfect day as we face a tough draw like Mura. Dele is likely to get some time and possibly do something things (on or off screen) that we can point to and show that he's making progress even if the opposition is a bunch of Slovenian farmer, plumbers, and cobblers. We know it's real quality!

Is that where you got your info? Perhaps I will look to do that when there is something in the modern game I don't understand...hold your breath for it. But don't need to my man. See the first paragraph to know the reason why.
It is bizarre that people (not necessarily you mate, I'm generalising, although you did only mention "running") will bitch and moan about our lack of running under both the dinosaur and Nuno as evidence of just how shit we have become, but then panda to the school of thought that "running stats don't mean shit" when confronted with the ONLY player in the team that was putting in a shift during this time. Not to mention that as I constantly have stated that he's one of our best pressers of the oppo in our team.

These things don't count because it's Dele and he's got shit hair and drives a Rolls Royce and doesn't score 16 goals a season whilst playing as a DM.

Good to see that you haven't grasped the difference between "running" and pressures. If you google it you could understand the importance of it in the modern game, doubt you will.
To be fair 'pressures' happen by running around after the guy who has the ball. And the 'distance covered' happens again by running around for other pressuring , attacking, defending etc. All in all that chart is about running around which shows that his running around ability is above average.

It is bizarre that people (not necessarily you mate, I'm generalising, although you did only mention "running") will bitch and moan about our lack of running under both the dinosaur and Nuno as evidence of just how shit we have become, but then panda to the school of thought that "running stats don't mean shit" when confronted with the ONLY player in the team that was putting in a shift during this time.
Yeah, as you said, not me. I complaing because none of our players can trap a fucking ball. There is a dearth of quality not lungs at this point in time.
Not to mention that as I constantly have stated that he's one of our best pressers of the oppo in our team.
I could quibble but I've not nor has empirical data convinced you of anything about Dele so I leave this alone.
These things don't count because it's Dele and he's got shit hair and drives a Rolls Royce and doesn't score 16 goals a season whilst playing as a DM.
Welp, he's gonna have even shitter hair in a couple years. But does he really drive a RR? I think he might be losing me there, Guids.

But does he really drive a RR? I think he might be losing me there, Guids.

Dunno about over there, but here I see RR as several orders of magnitude less gratuitous than Bentley.

Not sure why. He's probably got both.

Looking forward to see if he has a performance bounce and can regain his lower centered balance and agility (very much doubt).

The thing with pressing is it has to be done as a collective. Otherwise the player can look like he's running around seamlessly like a headless chicken. when not done in cohesion can open up passing lanes for opposition if vacates and presses on his own.

To be fair 'pressures' happen by running around after the guy who has the ball. And the 'distance covered' happens again by running around for other pressuring , attacking, defending etc. All in all that chart is about running around which shows that his running around ability is above average.
No, it's not.

Pressures are defined by this detailed explanation by Colin Tranors who came up with the methodology of recording and measuring the intensity of pressing, adopted and recognised by the industry as the definitive measure which is Passes Allowed Per Defensive Action (PPDA). Defensive Metrics: Measuring the Intensity of a High Press | StatsBomb

It's also only recorded by opponent passes allowed per defensive action, in the opponent’s defensive 3/5ths of the pitch.

But not just to rest on his laurels there's a ton of other data that I can present that show his work rate other than he runs the furthest in the team, is one of our strongest pressers (along with Lucas too) and here they are: You see if you are shit at pressing the oppo play past you.
FCQjVfXXsAYJ_bz

But he's got shit hairstyle, drives a Rolls Royce and doesn't score 16 goals a season playing as a number 6.

Dele needs to show up tonight. He won’t get many chances under Conte unless he performs, zero excuses not to put in a great performance against this team with Skipp, Kane, Ndombele around him.

This PPDA thing is a team based stat you are describing here. This 'pressures' stat cant be the same thing. It doesnt make sense.
PPDA as an overall stat for sure is meant to represent the team's effectiveness of pressing (or measure of it being applied be that well or poor), effectiveness of pressing is only achieved through the collective of those doing it.

However, it is individuals who execute the action and that action can be attributed to player-specific level as in the diagram, see the list of specific stats I've added, which go deeper than just measuring what the definition of PPDA is, but it's still possible to just pull the individual numbers for one player.

If Dele was playing within an effective pressing team (WE ARN'T) then you would expect his numbers to be even better than those posted, because of the effect of others pressing around you as cohesive pressing teams do.

The purpose of posting the numbers is an attempt to get beyond the notion that he's jogging around the pitch as is so often applied. It's the complete opposite and these numbers attempt to address this.

Spurs are shit at pressing. Dele is good at pressing.

Back
Top Bottom