Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why has the FA done fuck all about the WBA player who provoked Alli in the first place ?

Yacob was it ? Just a typical Pullis clogger.

And how come Connor Wickham sneakily elbowed Vertonghen in the head and put him out or three months and could have fractured his skull at the same time but this is the same ?

Take off your Lily White tinted specs. We've not been fucked over by the FA, Yacob never crossed the line in that game where as Ali quite clearly did. You're acting like the FA fucking hate us, but that really isn't the case. It all comes down to what the referee did and didn't see in the games. He saw every foul Yacob made so the FA had fuck all say in it. The same goes for the Vertonghen one. The FA will only take action on incidents in which the referee didn't see,

I'd rather have Alli with attitude firing on all cylinders - than Alli with shackles on.
If he can cut the retaliation off the ball out - we have a perfect diamond.
A diamond that can now be locked up for the rest of the season instead of being on display... perfect? Not yet, clearly. As you said, he needs to cut out the retaliation first for that to happen.

Haven't we got a squad of players? Its better for a player, as Mason for example, to know he will play, 3 full games rather than a few minutes here and there. We will cope without him, a fresh player coming in could make all the difference.
Oh I'm sure Mason or whoever comes in for Alli will be delighted about the suspension. Will we cope? Probably, it doesn't exactly help though does it, makes us weaker to miss a key player for the rest of the season.

Allis punch was not entered in the refs report-the ref missed it. The commentator missed it. My understanding is, a foreign TV highlighted the punch first.

I know the referee didn't see it. Had the referee seen it then the FA couldn't have charged Ali with Violent Conduct. They can only cast a decision like that after the match if the referee didn't see the incident.

That was my point. The FA could punish Ali and rightly did. They couldn't punish Wickham.

The only two decisions that have always stuck with me is Gomes apparantly giving a penalty away to Rooney, which was a fucking shambles of a decision. And when Nani dived in the box, picked the ball up, was told it wasn't a penalty, placed the ball back down on the floor and kicked it into the net to be given the goal. That one always irked me and I always felt like something should have been done about that particular game.

Oh I'm sure Mason or whoever comes in for Alli will be delighted about the suspension. Will we cope? Probably, it doesn't exactly help though does it, makes us weaker to miss a key player for the rest of the season.
Yes Alli is a key player and will be missed. It doesn't necesseraly make us weaker. Mason will be up for it (or whoever plays) and will play his part. Remember its a squad game these days so no one is (or should be) bigger than the team. We are a good side and should cope with the change.

I know the referee didn't see it. Had the referee seen it then the FA couldn't have charged Ali with Violent Conduct. They can only cast a decision like that after the match if the referee didn't see the incident.

That was my point. The FA could punish Ali and rightly did. They couldn't punish Wickham.

The only two decisions that have always stuck with me is Gomes apparantly giving a penalty away to Rooney, which was a fucking shambles of a decision. And when Nani dived in the box, picked the ball up, was told it wasn't a penalty, placed the ball back down on the floor and kicked it into the net to be given the goal. That one always irked me and I always felt like something should have been done about that particular game.
Yes, you are right-its all bollocks and it all needs to be sorted. Video support for refs would probably create more problems that it would solve, as it would see everything. LC would be down to 9 men every game.

The FA fixing something?

You do know we are talking about the organisation, who - glass of champagne in hand - stood at Highbury, and refused Arsenals fierce rivals a delay of a game due to food poisoning, and saw now problem whatsoever doing just that?

"He has a very strong character & personality. That's why he's one of the best players in England and we cannot change him"

I like this. Poch is wise to not sand off the edges of his character - that fire in his belly will serve him well most of the time - particularly considering that we keep our energy up all game.

Alli just needs to know when to stop, not be neutered entirely. You can bet that Poch gave him a bollocking behind closed doors, but he backs his player in the press. Very good policy to have.

I like this. Poch is wise to not sand off the edges of his character - that fire in his belly will serve him well most of the time - particularly considering that we keep our energy up all game.

Alli just needs to know when to stop, not be neutered entirely. You can bet that Poch gave him a bollocking behind closed doors, but he backs his player in the press. Very good policy to have.

One of the reasons Ferguson was a great manager was that he never blamed his players in public. He would go to ridiculous lengths to defend them while they were at the club.

Yet you fail to acknowledge it is his attitude displayed (and by the rest of the team) is what has got us in this position in the first place, you know competing for the title, something we haven't done in 55yrs. We are a team of hard, tricky, bastards, what the fuck is their not to like? We are where we are now because of this and because of this we will have players suspended, this is brilliant not something to moan about but something to embrace.

I love Alli, he is a revelation. I love his exuberance and energy, his athleticism stretches teams, always moving and dropping into space or charging into it but Dembele, is better than him, Eriksen is better than him (and IMO is without doubt should be YPOTY), Kane is better than him. Without Dier we don't have the same control so whilst Alli is a better technically than Dier, Dier is the platform in our shape and allows us to control midfield and therefore more important. All of these players are also more consistent performers, rarely scoring less than 7/10. I probably would select Lamela ahead of him too if push came to shove. Alli lacks this consistency and has even been on occasion (thankfully only a handful) a liability, all of which I accept in him, just as I accept that he will every season be pinged for disciplinary issues and long may that continue.

We are tactical foulers, we know exactly what we are doing, we collect yellows like they are going out of fashion but never a red (I've jinxed it now). Yet our defenders hardly tackle let alone foul, they stay on their feet. The likes of Alli are instructed to do what they do, it is an integral part of our play, as I said earlier take a look at the Poch videos on YouTube he was a nasty bastard, Poch has already said he likes this side in Alli. Given what you have seen this season and how we have coped when other players have not been selected and others fill their position and we continued to play in exactly the same way I am at a loss to how you can be so nervous that because he doesn't play our season falls apart.

I disagree. Our attitude is hard, we're tough, we'll get stuck in, we won't take any shit. But we're fair as fuck. Few dives, very little complaining whenever refs makes decisions, our fouls aren't nasty but, as you say, tactical. We've been very disciplined, except for the odd punch or kick from Alli, in my opinion.

His is not the attitude of the rest of the team. He works hard, tackles, and is definately a team player in that regard, but he has that lack of discipline that I think most of us knew would cost us. I warned about it earlier this season.

Some may think we were unlucky for him to get caught by cameras and to receive a ban. In my opinion we were lucky that the ref didn't catch in when it happened. Could've easily been an early bath, and we'd have to get on with 10 men.

He needs to cut that shit out, or it will keep costing us.

I agree we should stay tough, that we should be a team of players that others don't wanna meet. But if we're easy to agitate into cards or out of focus, that's a team the opponents, especially the likes of WBA and Leicester, will just love to meet.

I disagree. Our attitude is hard, we're tough, we'll get stuck in, we won't take any shit. But we're fair as fuck. Few dives, very little complaining whenever refs makes decisions, our fouls aren't nasty but, as you say, tactical. We've been very disciplined, except for the odd punch or kick from Alli, in my opinion.

His is not the attitude of the rest of the team. He works hard, tackles, and is definately a team player in that regard, but he has that lack of discipline that I think most of us knew would cost us. I warned about it earlier this season.

Some may think we were unlucky for him to get caught by cameras and to receive a ban. In my opinion we were lucky that the ref didn't catch in when it happened. Could've easily been an early bath, and we'd have to get on with 10 men.

He needs to cut that shit out, or it will keep costing us.

I agree we should stay tough, that we should be a team of players that others don't wanna meet. But if we're easy to agitate into cards or out of focus, that's a team the opponents, especially the likes of WBA and Leicester, will just love to meet.
Poch 29.04.16: "He has a very strong character & personality. That's why he's one of the best players in England and we cannot change him"

Players have been trying to get at him all season though, he gives it back. He may well get a red next season because of it, just like those with similar temperaments that have gone before him have, we just have to deal with it. He was the same at MK Dons, it is in his game.

One of the reasons Ferguson was a great manager was that he never blamed his players in public. He would go to ridiculous lengths to defend them while they were at the club.

And this is what Wenger is getting wrong, he also never blames his players in public, but also mollycoddles them in private too, giving them absolute security and no sense of hunger whatsoever

Does he? He still scored two goals in the Stoke match. He's a key player and due to his own stupidity misses out for the remainder of the season.

It is different than Vardy, he took a gamble with his dive, could've turned out well for him as well, being rewarded with a penalty. What Alli did was always going to end bad for him and doesn't gain him anything.

Did Vardy also gamble by getting in the refs face and abusing him?

So he's a cheat by diving and an obnoxious little, pointy chinned, racist, creep.

He deserved to go.

Alli has been silly and deserves his ban which he'll learn from but he's not a cheat or a cunt like Vardy so you shouldn't be comparing them because I know who I'd rather have in my team!

Poch 29.04.16: "He has a very strong character & personality. That's why he's one of the best players in England and we cannot change him"

Players have been trying to get at him all season though, he gives it back. He may well get a red next season because of it, just like those with similar temperaments that have gone before him have, we just have to deal with it. He was the same at MK Dons, it is in his game.

And take that edge out of his game and you won't have the same player!

Leave him to Poch who understands him best!

:pochsmirk:

This is obviously not the same thing at all to the professional level, but I just wanted to share a little story from back when I played some JV basketball.

I wasn't very good. Imagine that for a white kid, but this one time we were playing these military school pricks. At the very start of the game this kid marking me started talking shit, that he was going to shut me down, etc. He was doing little jabs and pokes the entire time, trying to unsettle me. Playing just slightly too rough for a youth league. And it was working. I was really starting to get pissed at this kid, and the ref just wasn't seeing these constant personal fouls.

Well about halfway through the game I picked up the ball in mid-court, and this kid is immediately all over my back. He's not even covering me defensively, he's just trying to physically push me around at this point. So I post up with the ball in my core, elbows out, pivot, and with all my force drive my right elbow right into his gut, and left him there stunned as the play went on.

Even though I didn't offer anything offensively in that game, we did end up winning, and that kid actually treated me with respect after that point.

Back
Top Bottom