Dempsey

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needs to up his game, criticism of him (and Walker) is not unjustified.

We need to differentiate between abuse and critique. Everytime this kind of discussion takes place, people start crossing wires.

Same with Redknapp. When people abused him, and others defended him, they were usually hit with "he has faults and its ok to point them out".

Two different things.

We can sit here and say Walker has been woeful at times this season, without abusing him.
And we can say its a fucking disgrace to abuse him, without pretending that he hasnt made some bad mistakes.

In defence of a few of our players, I think a few are still finding it difficult to fit in to the team.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't become bad players overnight.

At the beginning of the season we lost VdV, Modric and King... not to mention we are probably not going to see Parker this season. That is four key players gone. Not just key as in difficult to replace, but key to the way we played last season. We have a new manager with a slightly different system and style of playing and I think in some games we have seen that some players are still learning about when and where players will make runs.

The squad has been overhauled quite dramatically and it is still going to take some time for them to settle. It's just going to take a while to Dempsey to develop how he plays with the team around him. Some players just click (Cisse at Newcastle,... though he has dropped of this season) others take time.

Summary: He's not been great, but to early to jump on his back.
:dempsey:

I'd still like to see Dembele in the more attacking role and backed by Sandro and Parker , Dempsey and Gylfi have been dissapoiniting. Gylfi because he lacks confidence , Dempsey because he has a bit too much of it ... IMO

Dempsey sort of reminds me of Niko.

I miss Niko........
spurs_1555460c.jpg

My contribution: I think Dempsey is shit.

Haha, nah, not really. Honestly, AVB isn't starting Dempsey due to some astrological interpretation - he is playing him because he thinks he can do the part, and I'll wager the manager has some evidence to believe that. It's also unlikely that Dempers was expecting to be plotted out on the left (due to Bale's offspring making an untimely appearance). You could see him and Jan weren't on the same page, or him and Spurs weren't on the same page.

I find it hard to el' comprehendo' that he was running backwards because he thinks it's really awesome and shows how confident he is. He was trying to find players, trying to find the midfield. Is this because he is a shit footballer? Probably not. He can't receive the ball and burn rubber down the touch line, e.g. Gareth Bale, because he just isn't that fast. So he has to try play to his strengths (if those exist (trollface).

The next 2 months are packed with games - I rate we are going to see the team start playing together a lot better and hopefully see Dempsey and Siggy start feeling more at home.

Support SPURS or die trying :vert:

Agree completely Belgian. Once Scott Parker is fit again, however long that will take he needs to be playing because he is a monster. Sandro is a monster. Dembele is a monster. Gylfi and Clint are yet to find they're scary aide for us, and if they haven't done it by then they need to be dropped. If we do progress in the EL then they will have time to bed in then. Also Dembele is my favourite Spurs player to watch since Berbatov, cheers for that Belgian

In defence of a few of our players, I think a few are still finding it difficult to fit in to the team.

Probably going to get flamed for this, but Dempsey and Sigurdsson don't become bad players overnight.

At the beginning of the season we lost VdV, Modric and King... not to mention we are probably not going to see Parker this season. That is four key players gone. Not just key as in difficult to replace, but key to the way we played last season. We have a new manager with a slightly different system and style of playing and I think in some games we have seen that some players are still learning about when and where players will make runs.

The squad has been overhauled quite dramatically and it is still going to take some time for them to settle. It's just going to take a while to Dempsey to develop how he plays with the team around him. Some players just click (Cisse at Newcastle,... though he has dropped of this season) others take time.

Summary: He's not been great, but to early to jump on his back.
:dempsey:

Sibs busting out the Andale Mono font........

NXV1u.gif

Having seen Dempsey absolutely run the show with energy and clinical finishing at Fulham I just can't accept that he's a below-par player for our side. I guess it all just comes back to the age-old question of whether he can adapt to a new system. We obviously play at a much higher tempo than Fulham which means he'll have had a fair bit of adjusting to do, hence the need to be patient before writing him off. If of course in a few months it's clear he can't rise to the challenge of playing differently to how he's used to, then I'll be forced to reevaluate my opinion if him.

It's pretty clear he's been dying for an opportunity like this since the beginning of his career, which is why I always hesitate to be harsh about him. Can't get too annoyed at a player who wants to play and win more than anything else.

For 6m its not a bad bit of business. I am a fan of the Deuce but tbh, I had hoped he would try and cement a legacy at Fulham. While Friedel has certainly proven himself, its been with many different clubs. Wanted to see Demps make his mark at one club. But Fuck me these sorts of lofty thoughts have no business in my brain.

So welcome Clint. Having you and Dembele together is a nice tie in as you have worked together. Don't know if you will be starting. Doubt it actually. But bring that scrapiness of play to the pitch and I am sure you will be made to feel at home.

"To play under this Head Coach and play for this club is a dream come true. I want to make the most of it" Clint Dempsey

Didn't Robbie Keane say the same thing? Also how is it a dream come to true to play under AVB? they practically grew up together

boneycrisp said:
"To play under this Head Coach and play for this club is a dream come true. I want to make the most of it" Clint Dempsey

Didn't Robbie Keane say the same thing? Also how is it a dream come to true to play under AVB? they practically grew up together
Probably means for a coach of AVB's ability.

Back
Top Bottom