Division of money in Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flav

The Fighting Cock
Ball Street created this interesting video about how Champions League money is divided. Have a butchers.

The Swiss model means 4 extra CL games in the group stages. A way to get the EL super league in by stealth.

I reckon they'll be a reduction in the PL to 18 teams accordingly at some point.

The Swiss Model: How could the Champions League look in 2024

The top eight teams automatically qualify for the knockout stages, and are also guaranteed entry into the following season's competition.

That is basically what is driving this. Guaranteed CL qualification regardless of what you do in your domestic league.

Yep and that will be chipped away at in following seasons until by, say, 2036 there will be the same 32 teams in it each year and 4 sacrificial lambs allowed in each season. You just know it. Never mind, i mind be sparko by then!

The Swiss Model: How could the Champions League look in 2024

The top eight teams automatically qualify for the knockout stages, and are also guaranteed entry into the following season's competition.

That is basically what is driving this. Guaranteed CL qualification regardless of what you do in your domestic league.
With the fact that instead of playing against all 35 other teams, a team is ranked based on only 10 games; this top 8 thing is unfair as it gets. Imagine teams playing against minnows in their 10 games, while other teams playing against on par oppositions.

Last edited:
Unworkable, you will have a bosman like ruling surely
I don't see a Bosman situation here. Free agent would be able to move to another CL clubs after their contract end. Players in contract with a CL club wouldn't be allowed to move is a good thing. No more annoying distractive rumor re: Chavski-Modric, Eriksen-Real Madrid, and linking of our players to other CL clubs during the important period of the season. And more importantly, keeping the good players for what their contract worth. Only way out is down or running down the contract. Levy had no excuse to sell. The players we sign would commit to the cause rather just sign for the money gotten from profitable sale of a star player.

I don't see a Bosman situation here. Free agent would be able to move to another CL clubs after their contract end. Players in contract with a CL club wouldn't be allowed to move is a good thing. No more annoying distractive rumor re: Chavski-Modric, Eriksen-Real Madrid, and linking of our players to other CL clubs during the important period of the season. And more importantly, keeping the good players for what their contract worth. Only way out is down or running down the contract. Levy had no excuse to sell. The players we sign would commit to the cause rather just sign for the money gotten from profitable sale of a star player.
Its a restriction of movement, I really can't see it being legal.

For example if we want to sell Dele in the summer he can't move to a CL team meaning a hugely reduced pay. It will be challenged and my guess lose.

I suppose we'll see if and when it comes in.

Last edited:
With the fact that instead of playing against all 35 other teams, a team is ranked based on only 10 games; this top 8 thing is unfair as it gets. Imagine teams playing against minnows in their 10 games, while other teams playing against on par oppositions.

It isn't like that though.

Teams would still be placed in 4 "Pots" based on set criteria (coefficient, League winners etc.)

Currently a Pot 1 team would play 2 games against a team from each of Pots2,3, and 4.

Proposal is that each Pot 1 team would play 2 games against other Pot 1 teams, 3 matches against Pot 2, 3 games against Pot 3 and 2 more against Pot 4, so should be fair from that point of view, and means at least there would be some / a lot more better group games (e.g. The English Champs v. German or Spanish Champs early in competition).

This proposal will cause carnage though in England, as I think there is no way the Premier League will agree to go down to 18 clubs, to satisfy the whim of a few of them.

Back
Top Bottom