Does Anyone Still Supporting Keeping Kane?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should We Have Sold?

• Total voters
Come on then 10 games in.

A lot of you were happy as Larry we forced a player to stay who clearly didn't want to. A 28 year old who is only likely to decline even if his heart was in it. A player entering the 2nd half of his contract with no incentive to sign and no desire to play.
His value is and will continue to decrease.
Our chairman is very unlikely to make up the difference in lost income to sign a replacement when Kane either leaves or becomes so useless we have to drop him

So, who still thinks we did the right thing refusing to negotiate?

It's more complicated that a straightforward "should we have sold".

For years and years of having our best players sold with us as a stepping stone, we haven't done that. Even Walker went on our terms to a degree and none of us thought losing him for a fee of £50m was a bad call, really.

Selling your best player, who could yet still reach higher levels (most goals and assists last season) for a paltry £100m with three years left on his deal? We all would have been furious. All of us.

In hindsight it looks a mistake, but has he fallen off a cliff and lost ability? Have those injuries taken their toll? Does he just not give a shit? These are all variables to consider.

If he's shot, then obviously it's a mistake and we should have sold him, but we will never know how much City really wanted him, given the reported £75m + extras offer. Trying to reactivate discussions in the last week of the window when we wouldn't have been able to get a replacement was a non-starter too.

Obviously the way Kane is playing is only going to decrease any future fee too, but also opportunities. If you ran a business and you were looking to hire someone, this is his interview: would you hire him?

He's been badly advised, continues to be badly advised and isn't doing anything to appease anyone.

Bottom line, he signed a six year deal. With no escape clause. He was happy to do that at the time, he wasn't forced to.

Last edited:
What were we supposed to negotiate when there was no offer on the table?

It's more complicated that a straightforward "should we have sold".

For years and years of having our best players sold with us as a stepping stone, we haven't done that. Even Walker went on our terms to a degree and none of us thought losing him for a fee of £50m was a bad call, really.

Selling your best player, who could yet still reach higher levels (most goals and assists last season) for a paltry £100m with three years left on his deal? We all would have been furious. All of us.

In hindsight it looks a mistake, but has he fallen off a cliff and lost ability? Have those injuries taken their toll? Does he just not give a shit? These are all variables to consider.

If he's shot, then obviously it's a mistake and we should have sold him, but we will never know how much City really wanted him, given the reported £75m + extras offer. Trying to reactivate discussions in the last week of the window when we wouldn't have been able to get a replacement was a non-starter too.

Obviously the way Kane is playing is only going to decrease any future fee too, but also opportunities. If you ran a business and you were looking to hire someone, this is his interview: would you hire him?

He's been badly advised, continues to be badly advised and isn't doing anything to appease anyone.

Bottom line, he signed a six year deal. With no escape clause. He was happy to do that at the time, he wasn't forced to.

As a good custodian of a football club you weigh up the pros and cons of a sale or not.
You actually speak to the player. Did anyone actually do that? Probably not.
Once you've spoken to the player and gauged their intention you then decide what the best course of action is. Is he fully committed to continuing as a player at THFC if we say no? If yes put a new deal on the table and make it public he's not going. If he's not fully committed, you then work on getting the most money you can get.

And this is where it's hard for people to understand. Harry Kane is not a car or a house. His value to THFC is in how he performs. We can't control that.
Which means he's only worth as much as anyone is willing to pay. If only one club is open to buying him and he's only interested in that one club the only way to proceed is to actually fucking talk to that club and NEGOTIATE. Not answering the phone and acting like a prick until the Sun or Sky Sports report they're willing to pay Y instead of X is gross misconduct.

We now have no Kane. We have no money to replace Kane. This should set a president with fans who for years have moaned about selling players.
When they really want to go, it's best they go.

Using hindsight you’d obviously say yes we should have sold him, he’s been a piece of shit this season, taking the piss out of us as fans that have supported him through thick and thin

But at the time it looked like a great move to keep hold of him

Using hindsight you’d obviously say yes we should have sold him, he’s been a piece of shit this season, taking the piss out of us as fans that have supported him through thick and thin

But at the time it looked like a great move to keep hold of him
I said all of this repeatedly throughout the transfer window. It's not hindsight if I and others said it before hand

I said all of this repeatedly throughout the transfer window. It's not hindsight if I and others said it before hand
Just because you said it at the time doesn't mean that it was necessarily some kind of seeing into the future power. As I've countered on numerous occasions on this topic, Modric, Berbatov, Bale, all gave excellent last seasons having had their transfer desires rejected the previous summer. Kane has never come across as a difficult character in that respect, he's always seemed like a top professional. Anyone who predicted that he would be rubbish this year if we kept him may well turn out to be right, but they were just guessing (and not even educated guessing, as our experience with top players who want to go but are denied for one more year are actually the opposite of that prediction).

By the way, the vote isn't really valid as the 2nd option is heavily loaded - if you actually want people's opinions, as opposed to just forcing them to support yours, you need to change that option to something at least more neutral. Some people may believe Harry is just having a bad patch or whatever - I'm not saying I believe that, I don't, but the way the option is worded in your vote makes the whole thing invalid as an objective survey of opinions as far as I'm concerned.

I would have expected Kane to behave better than he has. He always came across as quite down to earth. But this is like Jekyll and Hyde stuff now. Since the end of last season he has turned into a different person. So with hindsight, yes should have been sold.
Has there been as much as a peep from the guy on TV or social media lately (outside of the England camp)? Or is the chap hiding and shirking any responsibility?

On a 3 year deal for the highest goal scorer and creator in the prem when City paid £100m for Grealish.

We had little choice the offer of £75m plus £25m add ons or whatever was pathetic from City. Our target replace Martinez was also going to cost around £80m taking pretty much all the money.

We’d have sold Kane, bought Martinez, still be doing crap but Kane would have been banging in loads of goals for City.

Here is what we should have done

- hired a good manager be it Potter, Ten Hag, Conte who would have played and coached a good system.
- bought another striker, even an Ings or Daka so if Kane still has a strop he can be dropped and miss out on the World Cup if he does.
- moved forward with that with either a rejuvenated Kane or a Kane as a sub bench striker covering Daka or someone.

I dread to think what could have happened in the last few games if it weren't for Harry's goals. We would be out of the EFL Cup and struggling in the ECL and it was his goal and assist that helped us win v Newcastle.
We are in the position we are in because of the manager's shit tactics and selections and our not very good creative midfielders not because of Harry Kane.

I dread to think what could have happened in the last few games if it weren't for Harry's goals. We would be out of the EFL Cup and struggling in the ECL and it was his goal and assist that helped us win v Newcastle.
We are in the position we are in because of the manager's shit tactics and selections and our not very good creative midfielders not because of Harry Kane.

TBF Kane has given up. But with an elite manager like Conte who puts his balls in a vice if he doesn’t work and team working with proper tactics he could easily be sorted.

I said at the time, sell. We kept him. And he will undoubtedly next summer. But a year older, 1 years less in his contract and I suspect at 50m cheaper than he was valued in the summer gone. Masterclass from Levy, eh?

This situation cannot all be down to Kane. Nobody is scoring for spurs because of the lack of quality investment in attacking areas allied to the fact nuno is a tool who cannot pick a team.
Is Kane missing sitters? No is he getting on the end of a cross or a through ball?
No because they don’t supply any, it’s just passed back to the defence.

Should we sell 1 of our 2 world class players?
No
Only to think about it is bullshit

If we sell him - do we get another player which scores min. 17 goals every season since 14/15 (only league golas)
Absolutely not - stop dreaming and wake up

Is it kanes fault that levy this cunt hires portugal managers which plays a tactic that doesn't suit him
Oh yes for sure

Kane has given everything for this club since more than 15 years

He will always be a legend

I would have expected Kane to behave better than he has. He always came across as quite down to earth. But this is like Jekyll and Hyde stuff now. Since the end of last season he has turned into a different person. So with hindsight, yes should have been sold.
Has there been as much as a peep from the guy on TV or social media lately (outside of the England camp)? Or is the chap hiding and shirking any responsibility?
His behaviour may not be by choice. He's a human, he may be struggling and, with a useless wet fish of a coach, unable to get back to the right mind set

If we had got a proper manager in, then perhaps it would have been different. But we can never know that for sure.

I do know that only last season, Kane was the top scorer and top assister in the Premier League. I don't think he has lost his ability in a few months, but it does seem he has lost motivation. Whether a better coach than Nuno (say, Conte) could have made the difference in that department, again, we don't know for sure. My opinion is all of our attacking players would look better with a manager who isn't Nuno. I think Nuno is the worst coach we have had in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom